MADISON SCOUTS 2015

Yeah, I saw it coming too. Blue Stars have more depth and layering in their show - at least right now.

So when they clean what they have, they will pass Corps that have less. Madison needs to add

a lot more to their show if they want to re-pass Blue Stars....and avoid being passed by more Corps

currently behind them.

Due to the short length of the drum corps season now days, it's nearly impossible to make large wholesale changes to ones show and expect/experience quantum upward movement in score...Unfortunately, if you don’t show up with "game" right out of the shoot, the seasonal "slotting" die is pretty well cast. For all of the pre-season hype and spin that this is a Madison show for the ages, unless a miracle occurs, right now this 2015 program looks to be a 9-12th place showing on finals night...And I believe 9th would be generous.

Edited by Mad75
  • Like 1

Due to the short length of the drum corps season now days, it's nearly impossible to make large wholesale changes to ones show and expect/experience quantum upward movement in score...Unfortunately, if you dont show up with "game" right out of the shoot, the seasonal "slotting" die is pretty well cast. For all of the pre-season hype and spin that this is a Madison show for the ages, unless a miracle occurs, right now this 2015 program looks to be a 9-12th place showing on finals night...And I believe 9th would be generous.

Thank you for giving up on the corps 2 weeks into the season, especially given the fact that there are still many hours of rehearsal ahead, and the men are very talented performers.

Edited by JohnZ
comment removed
  • Like 2

Haven't seen the corps since that first week, but I took away from it that there's a lot of substance to the horn book that is going to take some time to nail cleanly. Jazzy stuff, to paraphrase Chuck Naffier, is both harder to clean and harder to evaluate, but when it gets done just right, it stands out. I'm not worried about them - I get the feeling that this will be one of the groups set for a late season surge.

Mike

• Like 2

Haven't seen the corps since that first week, but I took away from it that there's a lot of substance to the horn book that is going to take some time to nail cleanly. Jazzy stuff, to paraphrase Chuck Naffier, is both harder to clean and harder to evaluate, but when it gets done just right, it stands out. I'm not worried about them - I get the feeling that this will be one of the groups set for a late season surge.

Mike

Agreed!

I certainly haven't given up on the Scouts. I just hope the staff has some GE/Visual fireworks to add

in as we go along to boost those content scores! I'm sure they do have some surprises in store.

And personally, I don't care for the "Gotta Dance" voice over. I think I get what they're going for,

but it just comes off as an after thought and is a bit cheesy. Maybe they could put a Baritone

of Contra solo in those places. Or have the whole guard sing it out in unison...that would be a cool effect!

Edited by madalumni

I keep saying positive things because I actually see a lot of positive things this year: this show has a great theme and flow to it this year. Regardless if it's not a dark, heavy music type of show, which so many people like these types of shows these days. The drum line has been improving for the past few years. The guard is definitely improved and moving in the right direction, as is the drill writing, and the horn book is vastly improved over what appeared to me last year as a "chop and bop" types of arrangements that never really completed a musical thought. So, I think they will be fine, and they will move up in placement this year.

• Like 1

I'm about to drive from Denver to Madison for Drums on Parade Saturday...can't freakin' wait!

I will be jammin' to some old (and new) school Drum Corps music to get me in the mood....and to

cure the 18 hours of boredom on the road!

• Like 3

I'm about to drive from Denver to Madison for Drums on Parade Saturday...can't freakin' wait!

I will be jammin' to some old (and new) school Drum Corps music to get me in the mood....and to

cure the 18 hours of boredom on the road!

Wish I could be there! Have a great time!