MADISON SCOUTS 2015

Just how much more volume are they getting out of 30% more battery? This doesn't require logarithms, does it? Because I completely don't understand logarithms.

Flashback to Mr. Bacher in tenth-grade algebra-trig repeating again and again, "A logarithm is an exponent. A logarithm is an exponent. A logarithm is an exponent."

Wow. That was . . . 26 years ago now.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

It's worse than I thought.

and, look, if this is too OT, feel free to nuke this response, but . . . .

the inverse square law appears to this layman to be concerned with distance from a source of sound, not the absolute amount of sound (i.e., energy) produced at the sound's point of origin (source power, or P). So, are we really answering the question here? Is not the question concerning the number of drums in the line actually a question about the amount of P that is being produced?

If more drums creates more P, that new amount of P remains subject to the inverse square law, I can get that, but distances being equal, a drum line of 13 will sound louder than a drum line of 10, right? So, if P is 30% bigger, would not the energy delivered (sound heard) at a given distance, as diminished as it may be according to the ISL, also be 30% bigger?

Or should I just stick to what I know?

Kudos to you, Sir. Your scientific mind far exceeds mine. Not that being better than mine is any great achievement -- but I mean my words as a compliment to you, nevertheless. Don't worry about sticking to what "you know"...you know plenty.

Where is that famed Scout Cymbal Line?

Where is that famed Scout Cymbal Line?

Ahhhh....so THAT was the inspiration for Dan Brown's "The Lost Cymbal," huh??

Edited by HornTeacher

Ahhhh.... so THAT was the inspiration for Dan Brown's "The Lost Cymbal," huh?

It might be fun to see/read a parody of a famous book or movie set in drum corps.

• Like 1

It might be fun to see/read a parody of a famous book or movie set in drum corps.

VK would have been a master at this, methinks. (With the shark, they were already half way there.)

Edited by HornTeacher