MADISON SCOUTS 2015

Top 6? Reality check, there is only 1 winner, not 6, so I guess according to your logic if you don't take the gold every year you're a looser.

Looser than what? :ninja:

• Like 1

So based on the whole winner/loser logic of 1st being the true measure of success, very few of us in the Scouts or virtually all other corps didn't succeed in our time. Great logic, really hope that lesson is being taught to not only members of all corps, but also to our kids, friends, etc. really a fantastic life lesson.

I mean, the Scouts have been around for 78 years and have only 2 DCI titles, what a waste the rest of us were. Clearly all those 90's shows people talk about so much missed the mark, since the highest placement that decade was 4th.

Edited by tesmusic
  • Like 3

No doubt in my mind, THIS year's Scouts are improved over last year's Scouts. Solid program, fixed a few issues from 2014, etc. That's a WIN right there in my book. They'll be appreciated, enjoyed by any crowd, and continue to challenge themselves to higher achievement every time out.

GOAL !

• Like 2

So winners set the bar lower? No. Winners strive for top 6 consistently.

How's that working out for ya?

Trust me when I tell you that winners don't concern themselves with a bottom end or worse case scenario. They concern themselves with producing the best corps they possible can. That's why there are only one or two corps that are literally in it to win it every single year. The crazy thing is that formula for championship level success isn't a secret.

How's that working out for ya?

Trust me when I tell you that winners don't concern themselves with a bottom end or worse case scenario. They concern themselves with producing the best corps they possible can. That's why there are only one or two corps that are literally in it to win it every single year. The crazy thing is that formula for championship level success isn't a secret.

Yup!

Scott Stewart used to give out this article called Profile of a Champion and it seemed to serve us well. Interesting thing was it had nothing to do with competitive outcome, but instead much of what you suggest.

I guess since we didn't win with the Pirate show, Power, Pizazz, and all that Jazz, and Jesus Christ Superstar, we missed the mark of success. If only we had placed higher my memories and feelings on those summers could be so much better. Must be time to hang my head in shame for mothering gold...

• Like 2

So, what I am reading in the previous comments would indicate that actually if a corps is not placing in the top six, the entire program and season was a loser!? Wow!! At this point I was way off the mark in my thinking. And, out of all of those hard working young people, staffs, etc., there will only be ONE champion on the field. If these are the odds of achieving what is most important about the activity, it should be folded right now.

So winners set the bar lower? No. Winners strive for top 6 consistently.

That's one arbitrary ### standard you're setting.

• Like 1

So, what I am reading in the previous comments would indicate that actually if a corps is not placing in the top six, the entire program and season was a loser!? Wow!! At this point I was way off the mark in my thinking. And, out of all of those hard working young people, staffs, etc., there will only be ONE champion on the field. If these are the odds of achieving what is most important about the activity, it should be folded right now.

Seems like it. Bill Howard should have folded the corps in 1973 with that logic.

I still get the feeling that there are a lot of Scouts alumni, especially the younger ones, that don't like the fact that their corps isn't the continuously reigning world class corps in the state, anymore. It may have been that way in the '80s, '90s, and early 2000s; but now they have some competition, again, as they did back in the '70s and it probably makes some them a little angry. It seems that this has to be a yearly reminder.

How many of you, so called, "brothers" know what it's like to see or be a part of a corps that had fallen on trying times and had to work years and decades to get back to a certain level? I remember hearing from quite a few Madison "faithful," back in '07, that the corps was finished. Sure, they had some lean years; but they never folded and remained as a Div I, World Class, whatever you want to call it, organization.

Another reality check; it's near difficult for a lot of corps to crack the top 7, these days; in addition, it's near impossible for a lot of them, including some of those in the "7" to crack the top 3. It's the way the activity has evolved and what it has become; like it or not.

I still get the feeling that there are a lot of Scouts alumni, especially the younger ones, that don't like the fact that their corps isn't the continuously reigning world class corps in the state, anymore. It may have been that way in the '80s, '90s, and early 2000s; but now they have some competition, again, as they did back in the '70s and it probably makes some them a little angry. It seems that this has to be a yearly reminder.

How many of you, so called, "brothers" know what it's like to see or be a part of a corps that had fallen on trying times and had to work years and decades to get back to a certain level? I remember hearing from quite a few Madison "faithful," back in '07, that the corps was finished. Sure, they had some lean years; but they never folded and remained as a Div I, World Class, whatever you want to call it, organization.

Another reality check; it's near difficult for a lot of corps to crack the top 7, these days; in addition, it's near impossible for a lot of them, including some of those in the "7" to crack the top 3. It's the way the activity has evolved and what it has become; like it or not.

Here's my thing. I marched in the late 90's and have watched my beloved corps go through not making finals, director/staff changes, financial issues, design issues, and through it all I support them. Even when I was told rehearsals were closed but still send money. I will forever publicly support my corps, and I will take my concerns to those that have the ability to change things privately. That's the way I operate.

Why? Simple, each time I have done this I have felt and seen in some ways, my concerns heard.

Why won't I criticize them publicly, simple, I don't want my younger brothers to see that kind of ####.

Will some argue that the younger guys should grow thicker skin, just ignore it, but I just don't think they need ######## negativity as they're working their ##### off on tour.

Especially when they have a great product this year that will only get better.

Just my way of doing things.

• Like 1