tOSU band being denied performance licenses

What the Dispatch failed to report is that publishers are denying licenses because the university was inappropriate in the firing of the director. This comes from open letters by people working in the field of music licensing.

There is much made by some people here of the sex act simulation, the nick names, the drinking, the midnight ramp. Unfortunately, the evidence is being ignored. It's clear from members of the band that parties where the nicknames were passed out we're private parties and not part of band activities. Yes, some students behaved like fraternity members. How can the director control that? In other words, when my friend Pat wax asked what his nickname was, he responded "Pat." Here in Columbus, I have heard from many past and present members that Jon banned drinking on trips, immediately ended the Trip tic, ended the midnight ramp, confiscated and destroyed song books when students were caught with them and brought in people to talk to the band about drinking and sexual harassment. Further, it has come out that the four, that's right, four individuals who were interviewed for the report were presented as a package by the father of the girl. No one else.

I believe that this man has been presumed guilty and that no amount of proving innocent will suffice for some people. I will not claim to know either way. But I do live here. I have former students in the band now and many friends who were former members. I friends on the current staff. The university, in my opinion, has provided a poorly conducted case filled with innuendo and hearsay. I believe in evidence. While I thought it was overkill to remove the former football coach, at the very least, the evidence was real and incontrovertible. That is not the case here.

"OS Truther".

What the Dispatch failed to report is that publishers are denying licenses because the university was inappropriate in the firing of the director. This comes from open letters by people working in the field of music licensing.

Well now this is an interesting twist on the story I hadn't considered. I did some websearching on it. There was a Dispatch story on August 2 that stated that some rights were pulled because of the band's notoriety, and others were pulled in support of Waters.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/08/01/Some_music_publishers_wonxt_work_with_Ohio_State_band.html

The open letters I see were written by one person who describes himself as the president of the company that licenses OSU's custom, woodwind-free arrangements. He also describes at length why he supports Waters, beyond his business association. There's an oblique hint in there that suggests to me that he may have had some involvement in the evaporation of licenses that had previously been granted. The letter writer was also the source for the Dispatch saying that some publishers pulled out in support of Waters.

http://thelantern.com/2014/07/letter-to-the-editor-former-ohio-state-marching-band-director-jonathan-waters-entitled-to-a-public-hearing/

Edited by Peel Paint

What you are seeing here is only the deteriation of a society as we "progress" to political corectness more and more. What used to be fun, you know longer are allowed to do because we have to worry about a few peoples feelings getting hurt. If 99% want to do something, you can't anymore because 1% can't hack it. You either think it is a good thing, or you think it is a bad thing.

Shoot, I can't even make my kids run or do push-ups when they repeatedly make a mistake anymore. That used to be normal. Now the only thing you can do is bite your tounge and pull your own hair out.

As for me, I am the type of guy who when I have kids, I won't allow them to play in a sports league where "everyone is a winner". So you can guess, even though I have clearly already stated, what side of the line I stand on. I happen to think that the midnight ramp sounds like a fantastic time.

I see. I'm an apologist or an "OS Truther" because I insist on an accurate report based on actual evidence. I don't care about OSU. I'm not even from this state. I don't know Jon personally. I do know past and present band members and staff who are telling me to my face. I'm not in any way defending any actions that many of us would be scandalized by. There is plenty of evidence in the public record that, contrary to what people wish to believe, Jon banned the bad behaviors that he was in control of including inappropriate bus behavior, drinking on trips, the songbook and the midnight ramp. It becomes more clear every day that true due process was denied to him. And no, he cannot just let it go. If he's truly guilty, he knows it and knows he will lose. If not, he knows he has to fight it or he'll never teach again. If the university will not provide true due process, he'll have to force if in court. That will be unfortunate, but I will not blame the man for wanting to keep doing what he's good at to feed his family.

I have no dog in this hunt. I simply refuse to believe that he's guilty while there is so much evidence to the contrary.

• Like 1

He ended the midnight ramp? How did he do that, by being there in person and participating in it? And,he actively inquired as to what various band member's nicknames were. Why? So he could stop it? No, so he could call them

There are plenty of people stating he attended the last midnight ramp, saw what was happening and banned it. I have read accounts that, even when he was an assistant, he did not call students by their nick names.

I have no reason to be in denial. But I simply choose to presume innocence while the evidence points in that direction.

What you are seeing here is only the deteriation of a society as we "progress" to political corectness more and more. What used to be fun, you know longer are allowed to do because we have to worry about a few peoples feelings getting hurt.

Yeah. Women feeling that they should be able to be in a group of men without the guys constantly commenting on the women's bodies, or putting pressure on them to perform simulated sex acts in public are just spoilt ___s.

"Political correctness" is just a buzz phrase used by white boys who don't like the fact that that they can't openly throw around the names, phrases, and attitudes they're so used to using in the White Boy Clubhouse.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 5

TubaJon - BS... Go learn what bullying and harassment really is.

And it is NOT if you can't "hack it" you are wrong..... and I don't mean push ups either....

What you are seeing here is only the deteriation of a society as we "progress" to political corectness more and more. What used to be fun, you know longer are allowed to do because we have to worry about a few peoples feelings getting hurt. If 99% want to do something, you can't anymore because 1% can't hack it. You either think it is a good thing, or you think it is a bad thing.

Sure. All good fun. When my scared 18 year old daughter arrived on campus and told us how the boys on the band busses pressured the girls to kiss each other to be allowed to use the restroom, it was all good fun. Sure.

These bands, and OSU is just the latest example, never matured beyond the point when they were all male. Someone let the girls in back in the 70s and wrecked everything.

Sexual harassment is hilarious, right?

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 3

There are plenty of people stating he attended the last midnight ramp, saw what was happening and banned it. I have read accounts that, even when he was an assistant, he did not call students by their nick names.

I have no reason to be in denial. But I simply choose to presume innocence while the evidence points in that direction.

No, you're not presuming innocence. You're taking sides. The evidence is out. Only a bizarro world interpretation of that evidence points to Water's innocence.

Sure. All good fun. When my scared 18 year old daughter arrived on campus and told us how the boys on the band busses pressured the girls to kiss each other to be allowed to use the restroom, it was all good fun. Sure.

These bands, and OSU is just the latest example, never matured beyond the point when they were all male. Someone let the girls in back in the 70s and wrecked everything.

Sexual harassment is hilarious, right?

And if reported to the people in charge and nothing done... illegal and people ignoring can be held accountable in court.

But I'm just a broken record......