alternative rock

ok so i am doing this again does anybody know any drum coprs show with alternative rock in them?

ok so i am doing this again does anybody know any drum coprs show with alternative rock in them?

You're going to have to define "alternative rock". Many corps have done shows with various forms of rock music in them, but without knowing the parameters of your search, we can't help.

Like a Becktionary show? Will they play Bender the Broken Robot for the closer?

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 2

You're going to have to define "alternative rock". Many corps have done shows with various forms of rock music in them, but without knowing the parameters of your search, we can't help.

It's any rock band in the razor thin niche between "who the hell are they" and "man they totally sold out."

• Like 2

Its not politically wise for any modern day brass arranger to do Alternative Rock ( like Becktionary), when todays DCI judges won't have a clue on anything from the Alternative Rock realm. This is why its no surprise to most, that when brass arrangers do delve into the Rock World for music its almost entirely found in Rock music from the 50's, 60's, 70's. This is afterall, the music the judges grew up with. So naturally we see a lot of music in DCI ( when its Rock) from The Stones, Pink Floyd, Billy Joel, Jethro Tull, Simon & Garfunkel, Beetles, Van Morrison, Freddie Mercury & Queen, Aretha Franklin, The Who, Moody Blues, et al. You want the show music to be relatable to the people with #2 pencils that score these shows. No surprise right ? So this is why we don't see much newer and progressive, Alternative Rock ( heck much of any Rock after the 80's ) from DCI Corps. How many 55-70 year olders do you know that prefer their Rock to be Alternative Rock rather than Rock Music from when they were growing up in the 50's 60's, 70's ? Well... then thats your answer as to why we don't see current DCI saavy Brass Arrangers going out on a limb and writing Music from the newer, progressive, Alternative Rock realm( ie, Band of Skulls, Nick Cave, et al ) when most current DCI judges would prefer it was Rock Music from 35-55 years ago when its some Rock Music you decide to employ in the show.

Edited by BRASSO

I don't see any particular problem with programming alternative rock (or any other modern genre), since corps arrangements of rock music usually bear little resemblance to the originals. I mean, sure you can tell what tune the corps is playing. But, for example, listening to BD 1990 play "Tommy" is nothing like listening to The Who. Go and listen to Peter Schilling's version of "Major Tom," then listen to Crown 2014. (Go ahead. I'll wait.) It is even close to being a similar listening experience? Did anyone really get a Pink Floyd vibe from Colts 2014?

My point is that a good arranger will be able to orchestrate the snot out of any piece of music, and drum-corpify it. The tunes might be easily recognizable, or it might not (Bluecoats 1992). But in the end, a drum corps version of Green Day, Pearl Jam, the Smiths, or Nirvana (or whatever you consider "alt") is going to come off more like college marching band than as alternative rock. That is, unless, rock instrumentation is used, at which point we have to ask whether it's drum corps anymore.

So yeah, go ahead and play whatever you want.

My point is that a good arranger will be able to orchestrate the snot out of any piece of music, and drum-corpify it.

You perhaps have a point with this. We'd probably chuckle if we said a few years back... " a G7 Corps could even play " Jingle Bells " and score high now". But we don't chuckle with this anymore, as its the truth. It really doesn't matter " WHAT " you play. If you have the marcher talent you can pretty much play Jingle Bells or Dionne Warwick songs from 50 years ago or whatever. Thus, it really doesn't matter a wit WHAT you play. Its a question only of" who do you have writing it and playing it ? ", that is everything now. So yes, it would be refreshing if Corps delved into the Alternative Rock Realm... heck, theres lots of musical genres available to modern DCI Music Arrangers that have infrequently been utilized up to now in DCI besides Alternative Rock too.

Edited by BRASSO

You perhaps have a point with this. We'd probably chuckle if we said a few years back... " a G7 Corps could even play " Jingle Bells " and score high now". But we don't chuckle with this anymore, as its the truth. It really doesn't matter " WHAT " you play. If you have the marcher talent you can pretty much play Jingle Bells or Dionne Warwick songs from 50 years ago or whatever. Thus, it really doesn't matter a wit WHAT you play. Its a question only of" who do you have writing it and playing it ? ", that is everything now. So yes, it would be refreshing if Corps delved into the Alternative Rock Realm... heck, theres lots of musical genres available to modern DCI Music Arrangers that have infrequently been utilized up to now in DCI besides Alternative Rock too.

You've said this a million times on half the topics I've seen you comment on but one thing I don't understand is, why do you seem to treat the fact that corps can play anything a place high as a bad thing? It's pretty nice that a show theme doesn't hurt a corps' placement.