Cadets 2015

in no way were the French horns horrid in A-town.

Just a different sound from what that one poster expected. Sure, they didn't play his rup-rup-rup.

And Allison was excellent.

Good to know! I was amazed that in Bowling Green all ten seemed to play both in tune and majestically ... and no one had to shoot nine of them to make it happen!

Good to know! I was amazed that in Bowling Green all ten seemed to play both in tune and majestically ... and no one had to shoot nine of them to make it happen!

Oops, there should have been 15 of them playing! let''s go to the vids.

I watched them practice all day that afternoon and the french horns were in tune every time, as they were in every video I had seen from previous weeks. They clearly had an issue that night, but it's something that I never heard as a problem before that one time. And yeah, all it takes is one time at the wrong time to make a difference (1989 BD anyone?), so you're right about that. Those instruments need to be double checked before the show begins just to be sure everything is in the right place and then all the members have to do is pick them up and go.

I also think the low brass is not nearly as much of an issue as made out to be. The Cadets typically play a mid-voice to upper voice heavy book anyway, but when the low brass were featured in this show, I thought they sounded fine. And I think they add the right kind of blend and balance to the full hornline power moments as well. Staging could help in a few areas, but the same could be said for other corps at a few moments here and there.

One area I am not concerned with is their level of performance as the summer goes on. Not this corps. They've had lesser vehicles than this in the past and they still managed to be one of the best performing corps in DCI when it was all said and done. You can tell that the kids in that corps really dig this show, so I'm pretty confident that performance will be a very good strength for them in the end.

Personally speaking, I love this show. Love. It. It's easily my favorite of the DCI season thus far of the corps I've seen (including my favorite from the top 5). I think it CAN win, but this is one time I really don't care if it does. It reminds me of 1992 in that respect. Tame the Perilous Skies just blew my doors off, and if they had another few days, they probably would have won. But man, I can watch that show over and over and never get tired of it. The Cadets being the Cadets, doing the type of show that, honestly, I think only they could do. That's the same kind of vibe I get from this show. I'm really looking forward to seeing it develop as the summer goes on. Kudos to the design team, staff and performers for already making my jaw drop.......on June 29th! :cool:

I feel the same way, especially after the shows Cadets have put on in the past couple years. This is the type of show I've wanted to see from them for a long time. It's vintage Cadets (in my opinion). Yes, there will be people who won't like it, but this show is a far cry from the vitriol they had to deal with last year.

• Like 2

Oops, there should have been 15 of them playing! let''s go to the vids.

Sorry, my bad ... er, I mean I was counting in base 15 ... yeah, that's it! :tounge2:

I feel the same way, especially after the shows Cadets have put on in the past couple years. This is the type of show I've wanted to see from them for a long time. It's vintage Cadets (in my opinion). Yes, there will be people who won't like it, but this show is a far cry from the vitriol they had to deal with last year.

Amen! I mean, no vocal "Amen" due to one point penalty. (How's that for a throwback!)

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm digging the show big time because it has a throwback feel to it. The show has plenty going for it, but it's not one of these borderline overly-conceptualized, overly-designed shows. It has a "we don't need all that crap to be top level," kind of vibe. Least that's my near worthless take.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm digging the show big time because it has a throwback feel to it. The show has plenty going for it, but it's not one of these borderline overly-conceptualized, overly-designed shows. It has a "we don't need all that crap to be top level," kind of vibe. Least that's my near worthless take.

Oh, it is just solid, no frills drum corps at its best!

at the end of the day, creativity doesn't matter as much as how well the members execute it. If the members enjoy the show they're performing and perform everything to the absolute best of their ability (even mistakes), the judges will reward that.

This is exactly the opposite of true. The members on the field have comparatively little to do with what wins. Look at the sheets. GE wins, and what is GE but for show design?