Cadets 2015

To maximize scores you need to be strong in every area...the show needs to be well-designed, has to have a high level of content and it has to be performed well in both the "exetcution" for the performance captions and the "interpretation" in the effect captions. That has really not changed much since I started in drum corps.

I don't think so. Show Design counts for far more today than in earlier decades. Some early years, there were no " themes ". Last season, the Cadets had no shot of winning a DCI Title, no matter how well the marchers executed that show. The Show Design did not permit it, imo. This year ( imo ) their Show Design does permit them to have a shot at the Title. Would the Bluecoats have topped the Cadets last season without the adult created, sideline, sound bend machine they utilized ? I doubt it.

Edited by BRASSO

I know Cadets MMs are enthused for tonite's show for several reasons:

-first time seeing BD, national linear scoring begins tonite with the match-up with them as well as Crown.

-honor of participating in BAC's 75th

-legacy of Foxboro 2005 DCI Finals win

-quite a few members have Massachusetts connections including contingent from UMass (Amherst) which is partly why drum line tends to wear Red Sox ballcaps during rehearsals.

I know Cadets MMs are enthused for tonite's show for several reasons:

-first time seeing BD, national linear scoring begins tonite with the match-up with them as well as Crown.

-honor of participating in BAC's 75th

-legacy of Foxboro 2005 DCI Finals win

-quite a few members have Massachusetts connections including contingent from UMass (Amherst) which is partly why drum line tends to wear Red Sox ballcaps during rehearsals.

I wish finals was in that stadium again.

• Like 1

I wish finals was in that stadium again.

Me too. That may have been my favorite stadium of all of the pre-Indy venues. Mile High (or whatever the heck it's called now) in Denver was pretty nice too.

• Like 2

I've found I'm LOUSY at having gut feelings about shows after seeing them, either live or on video. I consistently assume early on that Crown has a shot -- I was SURE of it in 2010, for example. I'm so easily impressed by sound and attitude that it blinds me. I was also pretty convinced by Cavies 2011 (and it felt right for the first third of tour) and BD 2013 (so close, but BD's always assumed to be the future winner).

• Like 1

I've found I'm LOUSY at having gut feelings about shows after seeing them, either live or on video. I consistently assume early on that Crown has a shot -- I was SURE of it in 2010, for example. I'm so easily impressed by sound and attitude that it blinds me. I was also pretty convinced by Cavies 2011 (and it felt right for the first third of tour) and BD 2013 (so close, but BD's always assumed to be the future winner).

Well however the season turns out, I hope everyone gives them a run for their money.

• Like 1

Me too. That may have been my favorite stadium of all of the pre-Indy venues. Mile High (or whatever the heck it's called now) in Denver was pretty nice too.

Funny. I didn't even realize they changed the name of the stadium until a few minutes ago when I checked the DCI schedule.

I don't think so. Show Design counts for far more today than in earlier decades. Some early years, there were no " themes ". Last season, the Cadets had no shot of winning a DCI Title, no matter how well the marchers executed that show. The Show Design did not permit it, imo. This year ( imo ) their Show Design does permit them to have a shot at the Title. Would the Bluecoats have topped the Cadets last season without the adult created, sideline, sound bend machine they utilized ? I doubt it.

'Show design' does not autiomatically equal 'theme', as the above seems to suggest to me. Yes, in today's world shows do have themes, as opposed to the past, but you still needed a top-notch show to score well in the day, even if there was no stated theme. Theme or not, the show had to hit a large number of effect items like variety, musicality, contrast, emotions, stylistic interpretation...and more. The performance of the show had to maximize the designed elements, just like today.

You actually proved my point with this. BD had a better designed show, coupled with amazing performances, so they won. IMO it was BD and then everybody else in ALL areas. there were no weaknesses.

As for the Coats over the Cadets at finals...I think that was the only time they outscored the Cadets, and only by a little. The Coats had a magical moment at finals. Did the show design help? Sure. But that exact same show design did not place them over The Cadets prior to finals.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 2

As for the Coats over the Cadets at finals...I think that was the only time they outscored the Cadets, and only by a little. The Coats had a magical moment at finals. Did the show design help? Sure. But that exact same show design did not place them over The Cadets prior to finals.

So let me see if I understand correctly. Because of the performance level and execution of Coats at finals last year, they were able to move up a place.

Now that's just crazy talk! :tounge2:

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2

I see this show as classic drum corps, with a few twist of the new (ie french horns). This is the type of show that made most DCI fans fall in love with drum corps to start. I realize that here of late, half the shows are turning into Broadway musicals, and while I do enjoy watching SOME of them, to me, it is slowly turning away from drum corps and more into BOA.

Cadets show this year is doing an excellent job of reminding us all what drum corps is truly all about, at it's core.

It has been a few years since loved a package from the Cadets, but I am totally enthralled by this years show. Would love to see them take the whole shebang. Maybe then, some other corps will start to incorporate more traditional drum corps, and stop imitating the "art" that is BD.

• Like 1