Cadets 2015

design intent is pretty clear -- the focus is very rarely on the guard contirbution. they are a backdrop to the enitre show. ask yourself -- how often do you look at the guard in the show? it's not a dig -- it's just a choice the designers made about where the focus is. even in the ballad, the focus is almost entirely on the hornline. can't believe anyone would think this some sort of controversial point. it's bloody obvious.

anyhow no one wants to talk about the actual questions i posed in my post? now THAT'S interesting :ninja: kind of funny that some cadets honk are more than willing to talk about design when it's crown, but they dare NOT discuss it when it's the cadets!!

(and if you don't remember the post, here you go)

Everyone in this activity knows darker unis hide dirt. I think the possible change to black in whatever fashion will hide errors more than it will water down effect. Although, that's just my opinion. Taken with the rest of the props, guard, and sideline scrims, I think it bring a more unified look to the show. Will it be enough of a GE bump? I don't know that either.

As for the guard, I definitely think putting their arms in neon green against a unified darker visual is a bigger risk. There's still two weeks for them to clean it up, and it may pay off if they do... But it's been their weak caption this year and this may be the equivalent of highlighting those weaknesses.

My apologies for not responding to your questions more promptly.

i know we dont KNOW... the question is just a hypothetical. suppose cadets DO go call black as others have speculated. how will that affect a show who's biggest VISUAL EFFECT is the drill ? cadets drill is always impressive in part because of the those white legs and shoes. how does a change affect that?

I think that is the BIGGEST thing I'm concerned about (if they change to all black, although I'm not absolutely certain what's going to happen with that uniform at this point). It's hard to imagine Cadets technique with all black pants, let alone all that fast moving drill.

Everyone in this activity knows darker unis hide dirt. I think the possible change to black in whatever fashion will hide errors more than it will water down effect. Although, that's just my opinion. Taken with the rest of the props, guard, and sideline scrims, I think it bring a more unified look to the show. Will it be enough of a GE bump? I don't know that either.

As for the guard, I definitely think putting their arms in neon green against a unified darker visual is a bigger risk. There's still two weeks for them to clean it up, and it may pay off if they do... But it's been their weak caption this year and this may be the equivalent of highlighting those weaknesses.

My apologies for not responding to your questions more promptly.

first i dont buy the black hides errors at the dci level. it DOES make you look shorter and smaller. and it's going to de-emphasize what (IMO at least) the biggest STRENGTH of the cadets show ie the cadets run and gunning their drill. why in the world would you want to HIDE that in show predicated on it ?

I think that is the BIGGEST thing I'm concerned about (if they change to all black, although I'm not absolutely certain what's going to happen with that uniform at this point). It's hard to imagine Cadets technique with all black pants, let alone all that fast moving drill.

it's gonna be amazing or really disappointing and i have NO IDEA which !!

I am concerned about that to some degree as well, but then I remember Cavies in their hey-day. Their drill looks incredible. I watch Phantom '96 as a "what if" since you don't get much more black than that. They look pretty #### good, too.

I am concerned about that to some degree as well, but then I remember Cavies in their hey-day. Their drill looks incredible. I watch Phantom '96 as a "what if" since you don't get much more black than that. They look pretty #### good, too.

I didn't' even think about that!! Cavies drill was as close to Cadets drill as anyone, and that drill was spectacular.

• Like 1

giant white hats. just sayin'

and no one looked at cavies feet (it hurt too much) ... EVERYONE looks at the cadets feet.

• Like 1

first i dont buy the black hides errors at the dci level. it DOES make you look shorter and smaller. and it's going to de-emphasize what (IMO at least) the biggest STRENGTH of the cadets show ie the cadets run and gunning their drill. why in the world would you want to HIDE that in show predicated on it ?

Black hides dirt. It's not a question of high school vs. DCI level. It's just science. You cannot tell me that phasing feet in black pants/shoes are just as noticeable as white pants/shoes.

You may be right about it de-emphasing their drill, but only time will tell on that one.

Wow. 120 posts in this thread just since last night's performance. This is an incredible discussion.

Until Crown played, I thought for sure Cadets would win last not. Even then, I thought that outcome as likely as not. This show has really grown on me. it's very curious to me how my tastes appear to have tracked approximately opposite to those of the judges. Early in the season, I felt Cadets were being over-scored, and that, for instance, Crown should have won the season opener. A couple weeks later, it seemed to me that Bluecoats and then Blue Devils ought to be holding the lead. Now I think "The Power of Ten" has grown and cleaned enough that it ought to be on top. Well, à chacun son goût, as I believe the French say.