Cadets 2015

design intent is pretty clear -- the focus is very rarely on the guard contirbution. they are a backdrop to the enitre show. ask yourself -- how often do you look at the guard in the show? it's not a dig -- it's just a choice the designers made about where the focus is. even in the ballad, the focus is almost entirely on the hornline. can't believe anyone would think this some sort of controversial point. it's bloody obvious.

any no one wants to talk about the actual questions i posed in my post? now THAT'S interesting :ninja: kind of funny that some cadets honk are more than willing to talk about design when it's crown, but they dare NOT discuss it when it's the cadets!!

(and if you don't remember the post, here you go)

I don't particularly see them as a backdrop any more so than the percussion or brass line is. Being there is no story for the guard to convey, I see the corps being displayed as a 150 member unit with different responsibilities. Granted, I think that's a particular risk in today's DCI, and I think Sacktig could certainly have integrated them more, but I guess I just don't see what else they could be doing to contribute more visually in your eyes.

And what questions in which post are you referring to?

I'm seriously considering taking a break from DCP.

Typical Cadets fan....

/sarcasm

• Like 1

I don't particularly see them as a backdrop any more so than the percussion or brass line is. Being there is no story for the guard to convey, I see the corps being displayed as a 150 member unit with different responsibilities. Granted, I think that's a particular risk in today's DCI, and I think Sacktig could certainly have integrated them more, but I guess I just don't see what else they could be doing to contribute more visually in your eyes.

And what questions in which post are you referring to?

i edited my post to include the original post in it. questions are in bold at the bottom.

So, interestingly enough I have no problem with body movement by the corps proper if it is done in a way where it makes sense within the context of the show (like BK and BD (generally speaking)). But, my least favorite variation of corps body movement is when some random horn player (s) put down their horns and do a (typically) romantic pas de deux. And in this year's Cadets show, the one horn player that steps out to dance the waltz with one guard just makes zero sense. Especially when all of the other corps members and guard are doing things on their own. I think this year's Cadets show should skip the cheese and just focus on doing the basics perfectly. Simplicity can sometimes be most effective.

Oh, and as for this years K-pop section from BD, I don't love it, but I like it much more now that the whole corps doesn't stop and break it down. Leave that to the guard and their wolf tails!

Electronics for one.

It bothered me in the beginning but now see how it has improved certain aspects of shows if used correctly. Not a fan of Tilt or this years.

design intent is pretty clear -- the focus is very rarely on the guard contirbution. they are a backdrop to the enitre show. ask yourself -- how often do you look at the guard in the show? it's not a dig -- it's just a choice the designers made about where the focus is. even in the ballad, the focus is almost entirely on the hornline. can't believe anyone would think this some sort of controversial point. it's bloody obvious.

anyhow no one wants to talk about the actual questions i posed in my post? now THAT'S interesting :ninja: kind of funny that some cadets honk are more than willing to talk about design when it's crown, but they dare NOT discuss it when it's the cadets!!

(and if you don't remember the post, here you go)

I'll take a bite.

We cannot know this until they've actually made the change. Anything else is just pure speculation. Once they incorporate said changes, and we see how they score, then I think it's certainly plausible whether or not any flaws are hidden or highlighted, or they could have possibly gotten better with rehearsal.

I'm seriously considering taking a break from DCP.

tekk

what's good for the goose!. george has been pounding on crown all season talking about their design shortcoming, lack of dynamics, you NAME it he's dissed everything (excepting the guard). but some honest discussion about the cadets design is now bad juju ?

my posts were straight up legitimate analysis of the design. but apparently no one wants to hear that unless it's some OTHER corps design we're discussing.

tekk

what's good for the goose!. george has been pounding on crown all season talking about their design shortcoming, lack of dynamics, you NAME it he's dissed everything (excepting the guard). but some honest discussion about the cadets design is now bad juju ?

my posts were straight up legitimate analysis of the design. but apparently no one wants to hear that unless it's some OTHER corps design we're discussing.

True. To me, all this putting down other corps is starting to become depressing. We all have our views on how their shows can be improved, but I think I have tried to do a pretty good job of finding more positive aspects of other corps shows as opposed to just finding every negative thing within their show....hell, I think I've been especially critical with Cadets show this year because I know it has the potential to win if certain things are improved.

I'll take a bite.

We cannot know this until they've actually made the change. Anything else is just pure speculation. Once they incorporate said changes, and we see how they score, then I think it's certainly plausible whether or not any flaws are hidden or highlighted, or they could have possibly gotten better with rehearsal.

i know we dont KNOW... the question is just a hypothetical. suppose cadets DO go call black as others have speculated. how will that affect a show who's biggest VISUAL EFFECT is the drill ? cadets drill is always impressive in part because of the those white legs and shoes. how does a change affect that?