Regiment '15

the terribly affected narration needs to be silenced. it's making the lackluster show design worse.

• Like 1

Do judges today need a Ph.D. in art history, pre-21st century studies, and prop-tology in order to evaluate what is on the field?

While this "layering" isn't new (think Zingali '85 with the gathering of the tribes of Israel opener for Jeremiah, his Hebrew lettered banners for Star of Indiana, or his work with Erte CG) onto more modern BD with camera, lights, and re-daction for Fellini, I have to wonder.

Do the judges have to pass a comprehensive culture test or just digest the sheets of manure the corps' reps feed them "to better understand the show?"

Sunflowers, Parisian city lights, pretty flags,etc. are just today's puzzle for better understanding 21st century DCI.

Edited by xandandl

the terribly affected narration needs to be silenced. it's making the lackluster show design worse.

Apparently judges are giving it credit?

However, now that we "get it" - that the corps is visiting Champs Elysses and so on - can the corps remove it and expect judges to still give them credit?

I hope they remove the Frank Sinatra sample. IMO it doesn't fit while the narration can be improved upon.

The corps pace is quick during that portion of the show with quickly evolving drill. Suddenly you have this overlay of a lounge-singing style that just does not blend with anything going on.

Do judges today need a Ph.D. in art history, pre-21st century studies, and prop-tology in order to evaluate what is on the field?

While this "layering" isn't new (think Zingali '85 with the gathering of the tribes of Israel opener for Jeremiah, his Hebrew lettered banners for Star of Indiana, or his work with Erte CG) onto more modern BD with camera, lights, and re-daction for Fellini, I have to wonder.

Do the judges have to pass a comprehensive culture test or just digest the sheets of manure the corps' reps feed them "to better understand the show?"

Sunflowers, Parisian city lights, pretty flags,etc. are just today's puzzle for better understanding 21st century DCI.

That's what critique is for. Every few shows, corps staff get the opportunity to meet with judges and discuss the show. It's not as though the judges are totally in the dark - they have the intent behind the show explained to them, usually multiple times over the course of the season. I wouldn't be so concerned.

Apparently judges are giving it credit?

However, now that we "get it" - that the corps is visiting Champs Elysses and so on - can the corps remove it and expect judges to still give them credit?

Where are you under the impression that the judges give them credit for it?

Also, have any of the decisions made recently been the result of judging credit, or more, "hey, this used to work a long time ago, so we'll do it now."?

Where are you under the impression that the judges give them credit for it?

Also, have any of the decisions made recently been the result of judging credit, or more, "hey, this used to work a long time ago, so we'll do it now."?

Well, I included a question mark at the end of the statement to suggest that I wasn't sure.

And I actually get a different vibe from design decisions for this season. I feel like Phantom Regiment is trying to adapt to the "new style," and just doing it extremely poorly. "Hey, other corps are doing this stuff and excelling, let's do it too!" They've just chosen a bad design from the start.

• Like 2

That's what critique is for. Every few shows, corps staff get the opportunity to meet with judges and discuss the show. It's not as though the judges are totally in the dark - they have the intent behind the show explained to them, usually multiple times over the course of the season. I wouldn't be so concerned.

My post was tongue in cheek.

I have judged in years gone by before the very civilized critiques we have today........usually occurring across a lap top and not just nose to nose. Some of what judges hear as explanations are quite the stretch...