The tyranny and folly of abstraction - an open letter to the Cadets de

I'll throw out a few, though whether they fit a theme is in the eye of the beholder, I guess:

Cadets 2001

Phantom Regiment 2001

Cadets 2003

Blue Devils 2003

Cadets 2004

Bluecoats 2004

Cavaliers 2007

SCV 2007

Blue Devils 2008

SCV 2009

Great list--would also throw in Crown 2010 and 2012 in there along with several Madison Shows (2010 and 2014) and maybe Phantom Regiment 2010, all of which I loved.

Great list--would also throw in Crown 2010 and 2012 in there along with several Madison Shows (2010 and 2014) and maybe Phantom Regiment 2010, all of which I loved.

Phantom 2010? Are you kidding me?

I'm pretty sure Ballet for Martha had a theme. Phenomenon of Cool did too, as did Into the Light.

But clearly we're applying different definitions of themeless. I interpreted it to mean no unifying idea behind the musical selections and/or the visual design. Such shows are very rare today, I don't know when the last one was.

I would say there are strong themes and weak themes. Ballet for Martha was a strong theme: all the music came from that work. Eureka was weaker in that any music that creates the feeling they are going for at that point in the show could be included. But it's still a theme.

Into the Light was open to interpretation from the viewer(me live sitting in the stands) as is Because(me watching tidbits here and there). I've read Dostoyevsky and have record abums with Stravinsky's works and like ballet. Shostakovich is too deep for me, however, Cadets played the music. I hope to be able to listen and see 2015 DCI for a second view or 2.

Thank You for your very insightful post. I agree with your well documented assertions and perspective on the topic.

I have been a fan of Drum & Bugle Corps since the late 70's and have participated in different roles since 1983. As much as I Love traditional Drum Corps, two of my favorite shows to watch have occurred in the last two years, '14 Blue Devils & '15 Crown. They are high on my list of favorites because of the raw emotion they pulled unwittingly out of me.

2015 Cadets, "The Power of Ten" is the most absurd Drum Corps theme I have ever witnessed. It does not emphasize, unify nor give direction of what to expect emotionally, if anything it acts more of a vacuum of emotional response. Simply stated it is just irritating in its laziness. Unlike BD's who's sometime concepts or themes I am left baffled by because I didn't read the Playbill, this theme is the opposite extreme in not challenging me at all. It rather plays down to the most base intellect or audience, similar to the local nightly news. (Don't get me started) Lol

As you can see I do not post much, despite reading the forum here often. I felt compelled due to the harsh and too often simpleton backlash you have received for your well thought out post. I certainly support expressing opinions, even different from my own, but to just crack back with replies of no real substance disappoints me when I read it. They lack civility & maturity. In fact come to think of it, maybe I do know why their backlash seems so defensive.

Good night to you,

DM

Can someone explain "Because..." to me? Is it a statement of "we can do whatever we want" or "there doesn't have to be a reason"?

I serriously think there is going to be a drum corps shooting by some butthurt fan who didn't like a maneuver or some such nonesense.

Give it a rest. It's a game!

Can someone explain "Because..." to me? Is it a statement of "we can do whatever we want" or "there doesn't have to be a reason"?

No reason required. If you're a grandparent with parents you'd understand the reason from a different perspective. Some age with wisdom, some go back to their childhood just because it is what it is. Respect for others may the reason? Find your own reason because it's good to do so; in my opinion.

• Like 2

I think the show meant that we all have our answers to the question of life, but the reality is that there might be no definite answer...it's just "because".