How hard is it to make the blue devils?

a show moving up at the end of the season is a perfect sign of a well designed show.

I think Bluecoats passed Cadets last year purely because of design. And I think Crown finished where they did purely because of design also.

Give the BD kids the Jersey Surf show and see where they finish. Not anywhere close to first.

Of course design makes a difference of a few positions, but if as you suggest we switch the two shows, BD still beats Surf; that's the point. By a vast stretch. BD still probably makes finals with flawless execution and limited demand. Surf would not be able to execute the show, and if we allow them to simplify the demand (make alterations) maybe they would move up a couple positions if they do it right. At most. I don't believe they come close to finals. They certainly wouldn't beat BD. Something would be seriously wrong with the activity if they did.

So member skills and work ethic make much more of a difference than design (which yes does make a difference).

Edit: Not a knock on Surf, obviously. Love 'em, wear the hat often.

Edited by Pete Freedman
  • Like 1

Of course design makes a difference of a few positions, but if as you suggest we switch the two shows, BD still beats Surf; that's the point. By a vast stretch. BD still probably makes finals with flawless execution and limited demand. Surf would not be able to execute the show, and if we allow them to simplify the demand (make alterations) maybe they would move up a couple positions if they do it right. At most. I don't believe they come close to finals. They certainly wouldn't beat BD. Something would be seriously wrong with the activity if they did.

So member skills and work ethic make much more of a difference than design (which yes does make a difference).

Edit: Not a knock on Surf, obviously. Love 'em, wear the hat often.

Agreed, and I also think that it was the fine execution of an excellent design that resulted in Bluecoats scoring above the Cadets with the finals night panel, since the design itself did not get Coats that result on any other night in 2014.

• Like 1

I think we're forgetting an important element in shows, and that is passion. The best designed shows and the shows that are executed the best usually have passion as well. Personally that's what I believe BD had this year. I loved their 2014 show, and most yaers I am not a huge BD fan. The show was far more audience friendly, that's for certain, but they sold every piece of that show. While I know passion is not always involved in winning shows, it's also something that is subjective and in the eye of the beholder, I think this is what made a difference for some corps this season.

Regarding Bluecoats and Cadets, I do believe that Cadets had the better show and that is why the placed higher than Bluecoats in all but one show, and for much of the season comfortably ahead of Bloo. I enjoyed both shows, but will have to admit I got more caught up in Bloo, but I did think at least in theory, Cadets had the better show. Now I was not at finals this year, and had to rely on watching via computer, but it was pretty obvious Bloo had done their best at finals, but Cadets were lackluster at finals, and had some pretty obvious problems. The performance was also incredibly flat.

I think we're forgetting an important element in shows, and that is passion. The best designed shows and the shows that are executed the best usually have passion as well. Personally that's what I believe BD had this year. I loved their 2014 show, and most yaers I am not a huge BD fan. The show was far more audience friendly, that's for certain, but they sold every piece of that show. While I know passion is not always involved in winning shows, it's also something that is subjective and in the eye of the beholder, I think this is what made a difference for some corps this season.

Regarding Bluecoats and Cadets, I do believe that Cadets had the better show and that is why the placed higher than Bluecoats in all but one show, and for much of the season comfortably ahead of Bloo. I enjoyed both shows, but will have to admit I got more caught up in Bloo, but I did think at least in theory, Cadets had the better show. Now I was not at finals this year, and had to rely on watching via computer, but it was pretty obvious Bloo had done their best at finals, but Cadets were lackluster at finals, and had some pretty obvious problems. The performance was also incredibly flat.

They were flat the whole season, it wasn't just finals.

• Like 1

Except when they weren't.

I beg to differ. Not a good year for the Cadets, in my opinion. The corps sounded lifeless all season.

I beg to differ. Not a good year for the Cadets, in my opinion. The corps sounded lifeless all season.

Being relegated to background music for a message can do that to a show...

I agree with you, the show design was sorta flat to me. Didn't care for the concept when it was announced.

Next year is different though.

• Like 3

Being relegated to background music for a message can do that to a show...

I agree with you, the show design was sorta flat to me. Didn't care for the concept when it was announced.

Next year is different though.

Yup, very excited for the Cadets next season. Hoping for another masterpiece like 2013.

Who's talking about show design? Certainly not me. If someone says a corps sounded lifeless "all season long," I take that to mean performance. I saw them perform several times live in person throughout the season and never once found their performance quality to be lifeless in any way shape or form. That was a pretty darned well-performing musical ensemble if you ask me. It's not my favorite designed Cadets show of all time, but I'm able to separate how I feel about that from how I feel about how well a corps performs what they've been given.

• Like 2

Who's talking about show design? Certainly not me. If someone says a corps sounded lifeless "all season long," I take that to mean performance. I saw them perform several times live in person throughout the season and never once found their performance quality to be lifeless in any way shape or form. That was a pretty darned well-performing musical ensemble if you ask me. It's not my favorite designed Cadets show of all time, but I'm able to separate how I feel about that from how I feel about how well a corps performs what they've been given.

Show design very much plays in to how a corps sounds. You can perform the heck out of crap (for lack of a better word), but that won't make the crap sound good. I have no doubt the Cadets had one of the most talented ensembles on the field this year, as they always do. I'm not hitting on the members/performers at all. There was nothing they could have done to make the corps sound alive this past season. They simply did not sound into it. But this has veered really really off topic and this post is all I have to say on the subject of Cadets 2014.

• Like 1