Carolina Crown 2015

I'm sorry wilme861, why did you copy my response rather than mboogey73? People are offering excuses and really not legitimate ones in my opinion. mboogey is absolutely right. Crown has not committed itself to being a championship contender in percussion for whatever reason. It's a statement of fact. It's not a slam necessarily. They may have legitimate reasons for doing so. Wilme861, your comment seems to suggest that California has more talented percussionists than does the East Coast. Am I interpreting you correctly?

Don't agree that Crown just doesn't care about fielding a top notch drumline. They wouldn't have brought in Aungst if they didn't care. But, sometimes the legendary names don't pan out.

See, I've heard the people on this board for the last couple of years say, "Oh, Hannum coming to write for Crown will draw the talent and make the percussion better." Didn't happen. "Oh, Angst coming will draw the talent and make them better?" Really, Lee Beddis couldn't turn Crown into a medal contender, especially in 2010 and 2011. The idea that a "big name" is just going to draw talent or make a better percussion section seems to be a weak argument. Again, I'm not angry. I'm just trying to cut through some of the smoke screens that seem to come up when Crown percussion is discussed.

Sorry, mboogey73. I didn't mean to give the impression that Crown doesn't care about percussion. It may not have been their focus for legitimate reasons or the "name" doesn't pan out, but Crown has had some "names."

I'm sorry wilme861, why did you copy my response rather than mboogey73? People are offering excuses and really not legitimate ones in my opinion. mboogey is absolutely right. Crown has not committed itself to being a championship contender in percussion for whatever reason. It's a statement of fact. It's not a slam necessarily. They may have legitimate reasons for doing so. Wilme861, your comment seems to suggest that California has more talented percussionists than does the East Coast. Am I interpreting you correctly?

Couple things, tell me where are these facts that crown doesn't care about its percussion? I was a part of that organization and I can tell you right now that is absolutely ridiculous. A change was made a few years ago that didn't work out as hoped and now Aungst has the reins. You can't tell me they aren't trying to make that program elite when you have someone like Aungst at the helm. BTW, know of one guy on the line that came to crown this year from another top corps, and Aungst was a big part of that.

California has a ton of talent but it's to be expected in a state that's so big and that is huge in the arts as well. There are a good number of top programs in the country in the SF and LA areas and only 2 top 12 corps out there. Know plenty of guys out there and lot of them marched on SCV and BD lines. A few actually wanted to march with Cavs and Cadets back in the day but the cost of flying out each month for camps was too much so the settled on the corps out west. Just a simple fact that a lot of kids still stay fairly close to home when they march. Not all do but still a good number.

I mean no offense, wilme861. I did not mean to suggest that Crown does not care about percussion intentionally, but they definitely have had difficulty finding a good fit. For whatever reason, they just have not been as successful in this section as in the other sections. It just leads some to wonder why. I marched with Crown as well.

mboogey73,

It is now safe to say now that Crown administration seems to have little interest in building a competitive percussion line. The battery seems to be filler as long as the brass and guard can carry the corps into medal contention. Now, before all the homer, blind loyalists, or other start giving me a lot of grief, Crown's percussion has not contributed to their overall placement in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and now 2015.

Nice backtracking. You clearly said that Crown does not have any intention of improving their impression and now you're saying you didn't mean to say that.

• Like 1

Way to pounce Cappybara, you definitely have learned the way of DCP communication and dialogue :).

Way to pounce Cappybara, you definitely have learned the way of DCP communication and dialogue :).

Not pouncing, just stating the truth, much like you are trying to. If you're going to make a claim, you should own up to it.

I can own it Cappy. I have no problem with that. So, I'll say it like this little interest is little interest. They have tried to bandaid the issue, but to quote a famous line, until they show someone the money, it will not change. Again, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015. Some want to throw talent under the bus. Stop trying to fix the symptom and cure it.

Sorry Cappy,, I wanted to be honest without being offensive and sometimes both just don't go together.