Rules Congress

I read how people were going to walk out of DCA shows due to pit amplification. Never saw anyone do it.

Some people are much bigger with their writing than with their actions from what I have observed.

The majority of people whining about this on DCP haven't actually bought a ticket to a show in years.

• Like 2

Your point is not entirely correct. I was buying tickets until I got sick of cringing every few minutes in the face of some sophomoric poetry or the omnipresent thunderous goo. Well - that's DCI done for me, I had hoped that DCA would have the courage to continue to produce a sound that was unique to drum corps. I see I was mistaken.

Again - why are you arguing? You got everything your way. You were successful in turning it all into band. I'm sure DCA will have some very nice bands this year.

Edited by Grandpa
  • Like 1

That's good Grandpa ~ you stay home and soak your dentures. The rest of us who still buy tickets will be enjoying ourselves and having a great time. Honestly, the last person anyone wants to sit near is the one who sits there and complains through the whole show.

• Like 2

Went to Chester, Grand Prix, Scranton, Big Sounds. If the amped pits were an annoying or negative issue, I would have said as much in my reviews. They were done well.

This from a guy who played on a P-R Bugle for 4 of my six seasons and keeps one next to my bed, man. I'd like to think I have a foot in either era. I take pride in that. Both have their great stuff and bad.

Regardless of era, there's good drum corps and bad drum corps. I believe DCI is figuring out what to do, and is headed in a positive direction after some stumbles.

What DCA appears to be doing is watching, letting DCI make the mistakes, learning from them, and then implementing carefully.

Have to run. Work calls. Hope this season is over soon, it's running me into the ground. Happy Festivus!

• Like 1

Not at all. Each new "change" creates a new "old fan base".

to a degree true. however the DCa fanbase IS older, and not conducive the DCA's long term survival.

DCA has finally realized the pissing and moaning 55 year old on DCP is not where the activity needs to be

• Like 1

Well there's a difference between amplification and electronics. But you all seem very sure of the outcome. Let's see where we are in 5-10 years.

yes, let's see where DCI is 5 years after electronics passed:

oh wait, 2014 was their best year probably 04, maybe longer. You saw more new corps than dying ones, you saw attendance up...

guess it killed them didn't it?

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

DCP, in the grand scheme of things, means absolutely nothing. At shows, where the actual amplification was used, there was no controversy at all. None. Zip. Nada. Heck, I'd venture to say the overwhelming majority of crowds didn't even notice it was used. Now this year it will be a lot more obvious, but I suspect most corps that use electronic instruments and efffects will do so responsibly and in a way that contributes to their show.

Will some people complain? Maybe. Will it matter? Not one iota. We'll probably hear more people at shows arguing over which corps should have won in 1986, or how badly the Muchachos were screwed over in '75 than we will complaints about electronics.

oh sure, you had to bring up 86 again

:ninja:

• Like 1

The fact that they haven't bought a ticket should tell you something.

But hey - why are you folks still fighting? You got all the cookies, just like you wanted. None for anyone else. Celebrate.

ok, so you didn't buy a ticket. yet here you are complaining. has that changed anyone's mind?

DCi has seen an uptick in business. DCA needs to as well. it's fan base is getting older, and in many cases dying off.

I'll ask again, and this is no slight to alumni corps because until april I was in one....but if old time drum corps is supposedly in such high demand, why doesn't the alumni show sell out? Why do almost every indoor concert draw maybe 1200 people? if it was in such demand as we see people on here #####ing about, they'd be SRO's. Huge.

but they aren't.

Larry hershman, when he and the rest of Five star Brass decided to end Serenade in brass said it best..."the audience that wants to see a show full of alumni corps playing the same songs for the zillionth time is done. Why? because that audience is dying off. literally.

having stood on that stage in the Forum building 14 times, and seeing the crowd shrink a lot 5 of the last 6 years (obviously the last one got a ton of buyers since it was THE last one). I cant disagree.