Rules Congress

Funny - I'm being told that the synths are a reaction to a concern that kids want them or they won't join. That would appear to be a concern over quantity, no?

If there's a concern it should be about quantity, or in a few years time you will have so little to produce quality, it will be too late. The more elitist you get, the narrower your base becomes.

Funny - I'm being told that the synths are a reaction to a concern that kids want them or they won't join. That would appear to be a concern over quantity, no?

If there's a concern it should be about quantity, or in a few years time you will have so little to produce quality, it will be too late. The more elitist you get, the narrower your base becomes.

Drum corps needs to evolve. electronics have been around DCI quite a while already and clearly not going away. DCA usually picks up on all DCI additions or changes 5 to 10 years later. Why would this be different. Clearly if DCA felt they would do any damage by any addition it wouldn't happen. Change is hard ( for some ) and welcoming by others.

The age shift is very evident in DCA over the past several years, it only makes sense ( like it or not ) there will have to be changes on many levels to keep attracting members. NO I'm not saying anything specific BUT change will come and faster than the past. This I do know for sure.

Edited by GUARDLING

Bush's own recruiting director spoke elsewhere about having to explain to kids why DCA didnt have electronics and getting looked at like he had 4 heads. It is out there. yes show placement is an issue. Making shows accessible to kids attending is a key. I saw far more young faces in Annapolis than I ever did in Rochester.

the bottom line is it's here, and it won't be repealed. I doubt DCA will add junior corps into the mix. Open Class is actually showing some grwoth in DCI, let them work on that. But all the doom and gloom posted about electronics in DCI....they've seen growth since 2009. corps adding more than dying corps filling out more to boot. attendance going up.

trust me i was among the most vocal when it all started rolling out. But I see it's not nearly what was predicted. in fact, it's gone the other way.

• Like 1

We had a major economic crash in 2008 from which we are still recovering. I don't see a slight increase in attendance as proof the electronics drew in the crowds, rather it is the result of things slowly improving financially. DCA is a whole different animal from DCI - especially the fans. Let's see how this plays out over the next few years, but bringing it in "because the kids expect it", as if the responsibility is all theirs and the designers are being forced to bend to their wishes - well if that's true, the folks that voted it in need to be the adults and decide what's best for the activity, not a few kids who want a synth.

We had a major economic crash in 2008 from which we are still recovering. I don't see a slight increase in attendance as proof the electronics drew in the crowds, rather it is the result of things slowly improving financially. DCA is a whole different animal from DCI - especially the fans. Let's see how this plays out over the next few years, but bringing it in "because the kids expect it", as if the responsibility is all theirs and the designers are being forced to bend to their wishes - well if that's true, the folks that voted it in need to be the adults and decide what's best for the activity, not a few kids who want a synth.

Lets leave out of the equation need for whatever reason. How about just plain ole WANT. If want is the reason then whats the problem. IF those in charge feel a need or want then so be it. You are wrong about a few things though. You are equating audience, member, concepts, etc etc to the past not the present or future. The climate all around the activity has dramatically changed in the past several years and those in charge BETTER change with the climate or there won't be a DCA period. Just look at a few corps that did make some contemporary changes this year. This attitude shift away from ( because it's always been this way ) has and will continue to be an advantage to these iconic corps. Knowing your product and who it serves internally is something many corps , especially if you go way back didn't get and most of those are where?..GONE ! You also are assuming that whats BEST is not to change or have any particular change.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

Who were the drum corps that used amplification this past year?

Off the top of my head, Bucs, Cabs, Bush.

If I don't recall others that did (Fusion?CV?), it was because it was done so well I wasn't jolted by it. The reason I remember the above three was noticing the speakers or in the Cabs' and Bush's case, using them for the pre-show set-up as well.

The above three also did a great job in meshing the speakers with the overall ensemble sound for the record.

Thought exercise I stumbled on a bit ago, but have been too exhausted from work to post it- one of those George Parks "Star-thoughts" that hit you once in awhile.

Thought about Hair Bear, Sandy and the crew. My experiences with them at Westshore Alumni, absolutely wonderful. It was like we'd played with those guys for decades even though they came after us, it was really cosmic.

Let me posit this:

Set those guys up with a digital percussion set-up. Give those guys and the percussion staff carte blanche to imagine, create, run totally wild. Would they create Bruni Award moments with it, inspire, amaze, excite? YOU. BET. They'd have sold the concept, period.

The "young guns" have been touched on in the thread. Right now, who are those young men and women active right now and who just might pull something off on that level and really make some great moments with the gizmos next season?

Just my thoughts on it- Watch Bush's front ensemble. They might have something ready that will really sell the concept. they started to have that special vibe last season, and I'm thinking something special might come from there in 2015. No, I have no inside scoop, just my thoughts and observations on some folks I came to greatly respect.

The folks that voted were the adults. They voted as they thought best for the long-term success of their corps and DCA as an organization. DCA is less and less a "different animal from DCI". Many marching members join a DCA corps, then do DCI, and then some go back to DCA again. The ages of DCA members in many of the corps are younger and younger. A young gal who worked with the pit for the band I teach was in the Buccs pit...she is 24...and she was the OLDEST member of their pit.

• Like 1

it's more than slight attendance. it's growth in corps, it's growth in visibility, Soundsport, Drumline Battle.

DCA is already bringing in the kids. Look around DCA. Corps are getting younger every year

• Like 1