Rules Congress

Why doesn't Alumni show sell out? Well how about people come for the competitive part of the weekend and anything else is a side show. Don't remember the Minis at MD being sold out and with a lesser "get together and talk" atmosphere than the noisy Convention Center at NY. And MD looked like a smaller crowd but hard to tell with different venues. Would say that the better Minis keep up with the times.

And with 10 Alumni you can have 6-8 different eras and playing styles (IOW 8-10 flavors of "tradition") and even Alumni fans might not like them all (know I don't). And that older DCA demographic might be finding it's harder to make Prelims-Alumni-Finals without body pain interfering so guess what gets cut out. Sorry Jeff but using this as an example of why DCA must change is not strong evidence. IMO. Yes DCA must keep up but pointing at the Alumni attendance seems off to me.

To put it in a sound bite: How does attendance at an exhibition show "prove" what people want in the competitive world?

Jim, i point out the alumni show because of the clamoring for a return to the past. Yet.....the fans aren't clamoring for a return to the past. The alumni show attendance now is a far cry of back in 99. Maybe because it was new, maybe because of some one off special corps, but even go to a local show, and aside from Cabs alumni, who gets the crowd into their seats or keeps them there?

the next generation wants what they see elsewhere, and now DCA has it.

Imagine last season, if the Bushwackers could have used microphones for their "protesters" during their "Resistants" show, instead of having those folks either shout, or use megaphones. Or... more audio samplings of the Charlie Chaplin speech and so forth.

Or... if the Caballeros could have used recorded audio to support the show theme during their judged performance, not just their pre-show.

For me, in both cases, the use of electronics would have added to the entertainment value of those shows.

I may need to turn in my "dinosaur" card. :tongue:

amen brother.

Jim, i point out the alumni show because of the clamoring for a return to the past. Yet.....the fans aren't clamoring for a return to the past. The alumni show attendance now is a far cry of back in 99. Maybe because it was new, maybe because of some one off special corps, but even go to a local show, and aside from Cabs alumni, who gets the crowd into their seats or keeps them there?

OK I missed the context.. sounds like at home :tounge2:

I just don't see the Alumni show as upholding "tradition" as I see most corps doing a standstill with a few doing a set up drill into standstill position. Of the ones marching a full show Cabs do a show spanning a couple of decades. Only one doing a BITD show (far as I can tell) is Scout House which is well..... different from US corps with Bb, being called a band, and a few non-military things (prance step comes to mind).

Of the stand still corps some do music from BITD but at least one has new arrangements and a couple are playing stuff not from when they were competative. Can think of one that plays "The Best Of" with the old arrangements. Sad part is I can't stand listening to them indoors because of their "if loud is good , then louder is better" way of playing. Hope that has changed as haven't seen them for a bit.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

A summary of the principal justifications given here in favor of adding electronics...

the point is IF corps want to move into this century and use what could be available to them. WHY NOT.

it is the overall desire of DCA to remain relevant and current in order to survive down the road.

it needs to do whatever it can to remain up-to-date to draw members and audience over time.

giving kids the same thing design wise what they can get in the fall

Drum corps whether DCA or DCI is expected to lead the way in the marching arts. It simply can't do that when it stays stuck in its old ways. And if some of the naysayers in the stands have to go, then they have to go for the good of the activity.

as I stated before...kids want what they have EVERYWHERE ELSE.

... would inevitably raise the same case in favor of adding woodwinds.

• Like 1

A summary of the principal justifications given here in favor of adding electronics...

... would inevitably raise the same case in favor of adding woodwinds.

Or jet packs.... seriously I agree....

When I was in HS (40 yr reunion coming up) it wasn't possible to have amps/electric basses/synths/etc on the field due to lack of technology and cost. Now it's possible. Years ago I said that the only thing holding back amping each instrument was technology and cost. That day will come someday and why not amp a few WWs to sounds like many. And why not also be able to have a cheap amp-able WW while we are at it also. Not picking a beotch over it, just see it coming so why not say it out loud?

Yeah, I work IT so see it more from a techie viewpoint than artsy-fartsy... :tounge2:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I have had lots of success in DCA and made some pretty dramatic changes with those I was associated with in my time. WHat I dont like is stagnation of any kind nor see the necessity for it in a creative activity.

I do not recall this activity ever being "stagnant". Of course, avoiding stagnation is the task of the designer, by coming up with fresh design ideas.

You are right about when we were saddled with rules how we had to find ways to create an effect. SO? we also dont dial up phones anymore , use encyclopedias much anymore, etc etc. Music can and is produced way different now than it was even a few years ago.

True. Producing music via the archaic method of blowing air through a wind instrument is old second-millenium technology. Takes so long to teach and perfect, too. Maybe we should replace the winds with the electronics.

DCA membership was in a decline for decades.

No. From 1993 to 2005, DCA actually DOUBLED from 13 to 26 corps.

no. most make fun of woodwinds actually.

In what context? Are these mostly percussionists? Do they participate in marching band, or only woodwind-free zones like WGI/DCI/DCA?

have you tried to recruit for a corps? Kids aren't dumb. They see what the "big boys" are doing in DCI, and when you told them you couldn't do all of it in DCA, you get weird looks

That is the problem with recruiting for DCA based on the lure of the DCI product. If the objective is to recruit kids for DCA corps, you should be showing them what DCA corps do. Otherwise, the kids may view DCA as nothing more than a stepping stone to DCI.

Or jet packs.... seriously I agree....

When I was in HS (40 yr reunion coming up) it wasn't possible to have amps/electric basses/synths/etc on the field due to lack of technology and cost. Now it's possible. Years ago I said that the only thing holding back amping each instrument was technology and cost. That day will come someday and why not amp a few WWs to sounds like many. And why not also be able to have a cheap amp-able WW while we are at it also. Not picking a beotch over it, just see it coming so why not say it out loud?

Yeah, I work IT so see it more from a techie viewpoint than artsy-fartsy... :tounge2:

Jim,

I saw a band in 1976 that marched an electric bass on the field, with a "roadie" pushing the amp, small speaker and battery pack on a hand-truck.