Rules Congress

Liz - the lack of nearby shows that you cite as the cause for Empire closing up shop - I believe you are right on that one.

THAT is the kind of thing DCA needs to address imediately to keep things going - not shuffling the instrument list.

lack of shows

only 4-5 corps at some shows

For DCA to thrive, these are the things they should be looking into. I posted a suggested solution earlier on. I really hope they look at it.

• Like 1

Guardling - conversely, you seem to be for it merely because DCA was not what YOU wanted it to be. So you changed it to be in your own image and likeness.

Oh - I know you will prevail - in fact you already have. I just worry about the consequences. Again, the DCA crowd isn't the same as the DCI crowd. IMHO this was a really dumb move and will not address the real problems, cited above. Deck chairs on the Titanic....

Edited by Grandpa

I was not in favor of this back when DCI passed this, and what has been put on the field since then has not changed my opinion. I have essentially "walked away" from DCI, simply because I'm not entertained any more. I go to one local show, and the quarters at the movie theater, and that's it-no more 4 or 5 shows, championships every year, Fan Network, media products. Do I expect that this will suddenly make DCI reverse their decision because of this lost revenue? Hardly...I just have no desire to spend my hard earned money on a product that I no longer enjoy. I still enjoy and find DCA entertaining...but for how much longer? IIRC, back when DCI shoved this through, one of the big arguments was that it would give designers more creative license...I've stated this before, but a truly good designer should be able to design a show that is demanding to the marchers and entertaining to the audience within what were the parameters before this passed. Think of a competency exam-for anything (CPA, real estate, driver's license). Should the exams be made easier simply to ensure a higher passing percentage? "The kids want this"...about 10 yrs ago, I was in an alumni corps and we had several high school kids join the corps...they said they wanted to do something that was "more than band". Electronics never entered the equation. Of those five, two more continued on into DCI corps and one went on to The Commandant's Own (pretty sure there's no synths there!). Although I am hopeful that this rule change doesn't change at least my personal enjoyment of DCA, I'm not optimistic. Yes, the numbers have to change-but I'm not confident that this is the magic wand.

• Like 2

Imagine last season, if the Bushwackers could have used microphones for their "protesters" during their "Resistants" show, instead of having those folks either shout, or use megaphones. Or... more audio samplings of the Charlie Chaplin speech and so forth.

Or... if the Caballeros could have used recorded audio to support the show theme during their judged performance, not just their pre-show.

For me, in both cases, the use of electronics would have added to the entertainment value of those shows.

I may need to turn in my "dinosaur" card. :tongue:

• Like 2

Or... more audio samplings of the Charlie Chaplin speech and so forth.

Or... if the Caballeros could have used recorded audio to support the show theme during their judged performance, not just their pre-show.

Neither of these examples would appeal to me at all. Setting aside the question of whether Chaplin's speech actually means anything if you really think about it (a point which has been argued since the film appeared in 1940), he's dead, and drum corps should be about live performance by the members on the field. Likewise if Cabs wanted to have their temptress narrator with them to "perform" that audio role, great, but if she gets a multiple chances to record her part until it's perfect, they may as well prerecord all the performers.

• Like 2

Guardling - conversely, you seem to be for it merely because DCA was not what YOU wanted it to be. So you changed it to be in your own image and likeness.

Oh - I know you will prevail - in fact you already have. I just worry about the consequences. Again, the DCA crowd isn't the same as the DCI crowd. IMHO this was a really dumb move and will not address the real problems, cited above. Deck chairs on the Titanic....

you are all doom and gloom here and all by assumption , merely because you don't like the change ( or it seems ). I have had lots of success in DCA and made some pretty dramatic changes with those I was associated with in my time. WHat I dont like is stagnation of any kind nor see the necessity for it in a creative activity. You seem to be looking for problems or issues which have nothing to do with the addition of some contemporary ideas.

Am I for it as you think? If done well sure , why not. I would feel the same about most things which move the activity forward not backward or stagnate. will it do it? maybe , Can it open doors to new exploration of the activity and what we can do with it. I hope so.

Unless I missed it you also really don;t say WHY you think it's a dumb idea. You site how you don't like it, you site how it may not be necessary, you say it doesnt attrack new members, SO , lets assume all those things are true , and? then whats the harm? Why not explore another avenue that may do just the opposite of what you think.

Now if you want to address other issues that plague the activity then great. This then becomes a non issue. IMO

Edited by GUARDLING

But Guardling, if no synth rule was passed, would the sky fall then?

Because I don't believe for a minute this addresses any "real" problems in DCA, it just indulges the designers' desire to have the things.

You keep focusing on a single tree instead of the forest. It isn't one change...it is the overall desire of DCA to remain relevant and current in order to survive down the road.

...while at the same time keeping an oar in the tradition waters with the alumni performances. DCA is giving audience members a wide range of both contemporary and traditional.

• Like 1

Well here again Mike - a few years ago several A&E supporters - perhaps you yourself, I don't recall, were saying if we don't like what DCI is doing, there's always DCA.

Now we're being told we can't have competitive DCA, we can only have Alumni. With all respect to alumni corps, they are not designed to perform at the level of competing corps. They would be the first to agree with me.

So it's great to be told we don't mean a blessed thing to DCI or DCA while being pushed to the sidelines of the activity.

Edited by Grandpa

Guardling - I've stated several times over the course of this long and winding thread why I think DCA made a mistake. I've also stated an alternative proposal which would help those real problems.

It appears you really want to get out of this conversation, but the discussion on A&E in DCA is still relevant. If you are unhappy with the dissention, you better brace yourself, because it's liable to go on for years.

Perhaps I missed it, but I still haven't seen a response to the question of how many kids look at the staff like they have 4 heads for not having woodwinds. That anecdotal nugget is just a little hard to swallow, and smacks of blaming the marching members for decisions that the designers have made.

Guardling - I've stated several times over the course of this long and winding thread why I think DCA made a mistake. I've also stated an alternative proposal which would help those real problems.

It appears you really want to get out of this conversation, but the discussion on A&E in DCA is still relevant. If you are unhappy with the dissention, you better brace yourself, because it's liable to go on for years.

Perhaps I missed it, but I still haven't seen a response to the question of how many kids look at the staff like they have 4 heads for not having woodwinds. That anecdotal nugget is just a little hard to swallow, and smacks of blaming the marching members for decisions that the designers have made.

so what do you want to discuss. Electronics or the issues. I think you are making them one and the same stating over and over its a mistake. Which I dont think it is or that its a big deal at all. Sure you are right for a few it will go on for years just as for a few it has in DCI. Will it do anything? absolutely not. Sometimes it's all people have to hold onto I guess ( the argument)

I dont think many want woodwinds in drum corps BUT if there ever comes a time I dont think the sky will fall either. I also dont think anyone is blaming members for anything let alon what designers want. So who are the designers,maybe that should be asked, designers are thinkers, innovators and the one putting it out on the filed from a concept. It doesnt have to be a dirty word neither does acceptance or change.

So, putting that all aside..whats the real issues plaguing DCA for ya.