Dinosaurs acting like dinosaurs in the age of dinosaurs

I took a quick peak at corpsreps and In Lynn that year, 27th Lancers won the World Open, they also won the Danny Thomas Invitational in Lawrence. They placed 7th at CYO Nationals. Competitors in the three shows which were days apart included Troopers, SCV, Madison, Blue Rock, Blue Stars, Cavies, to name some, and of course BAC. BAC did not place ahead SCV, Cavies, and Troopers in Lawrence, and placed below SCV, Madison, Cavies, Kingsmen, and Troopers at Lynn. My guess is either a: the writer was a 27th fan who did not like the placement at CYO Nationals, and given that 1971 was not too long after the IC Reveries disbanding and the founding of 27th and there were still some hard feelings that some probably believed would have been reflected in the judging (the historical thread has tons of stuff on alleged biased judging), this could be plausible. More likely is possibility b: the writer probably believed BAC deserved better.

Now if I am correct with my BAC theory, can you imagine what the writer would have thought of "Animal Farm" or young men dressed as "Titans" in 2012? He would probably have been appalled by guys running around in what he would have considered mini skirts.

On another note, when was the last time that drum corps controversies were important enough to merit an article in one of the nation's largest newspapers?

BAC was rarely ahead of 27th in 1971. The pecking order in the East was pretty much Blue Rock, 27th, Garfield, BAC and then St Rita's, followed by BS in their last good year.That was especially the case in 'local' shows. There was some movement in placements...looking at corpsreps, Garfield outscored BAC 6 times to 3 (not including prelims, where you add 1 to each). I don't know if BAC ever outscored Blue Rock (they won most of the shows in the East). I am pretty sure the only time we (Garfield) outscored BR was at the Shriner's, where they had flag violation penalties or something. 71 WAS Blue Rock's Year. 27th outscored them a few times, though they were in major shows.

There was also bad blood between 27th and BAC. We were housed by 27th on a June weekend trip to the Boston area, and I recall a lot of catcalls and petty 'stuff' happening in the parking lot as we were walking out with our assigned 27th members. it was part of a back-and-forth that was pretty common, is what we were told.

Its to this generation of marchers credit that they are far, far more civil, respectful to one another in other Corps today, than some adults in DCI Corps are to adults in other DCI Corps today. Quite a few adults in positions of leadership in DCI were actually pretty disrespectful, rude,.. and frankly downright dispicable in words and deeds to other adults in positions of leadership in other DCI Corps. The marchers themselves ? They were never the problem of behaviors or of things said and done. They remain the best thing about this activity.

But this dispicable adult behaviors in positions of leadership in some of the DCI Corps from 2010, seems to have lessened of late. At least on the surface, anyway. And thats a breath of fresh air, and something to be optimistic about if the recent trends continue, regarding the adult " dinosaurs " running the Corps, installing the show programs, and judging the show programs in DCI these days.

Edited by BRASSO

Oy, such a beating I am taking! It's getting more and more difficult to determine just how to properly express oneself here.

It shouldn't. Just comment however you choose, and let the chips fall where they may. You are entitled to your opinion.. and entitled to any manner of reply in response too ( subject of course to the rules of the site). You should not be under any pressure to modify your remarks in any manner to fit someone else's idea of what is " proper " commenting. I'm sure there are posters here that do not like my comments expressed here on occasion too. They are entitled to that opinion... and far be it for me to call for their censorship, their ignoring, a demand for a " proper expressing of themselves ", etc or whatever in their replies to my comments or to the comments of others here. Note the title phrase of the OP in his title on this thread:....the repeated use of the term" dinosaur ". Its a pejorative. The OP was not told to " properly express himself " by utilizing the more civil term "Legacy fans ". He used the pejorative term of " dinosaur ". But guess what ? He's entitled to use that phrase if he wants too. Its fine. It really is. He is entitled to all manner of replies here too. If anyone here can't understand that people might have a different opinion on things on here on occasion, then perhaps they might want to rethink what a free, unafiliated, fan discussion board is designed to do. This site is not the PR website of DCI. DCI has such an internal website that they control for PR purposes themselves. This is a free discussion board. As such, I value your input on it, even when on occasion I might disagree with what you might have posted. But relax, whatever you post, it is " properly expressed " in my book. To that extent, its all good, and I wish you a Happy Holiday Season too, Fred.

Edited by BRASSO

BAC was rarely ahead of 27th in 1971. The pecking order in the East was pretty much Blue Rock, 27th, Garfield, BAC and then St Rita's, followed by BS in their last good year.That was especially the case in 'local' shows. There was some movement in placements...looking at corpsreps, Garfield outscored BAC 6 times to 3 (not including prelims, where you add 1 to each). I don't know if BAC ever outscored Blue Rock (they won most of the shows in the East). I am pretty sure the only time we (Garfield) outscored BR was at the Shriner's, where they had flag violation penalties or something. 71 WAS Blue Rock's Year. 27th outscored them a few times, though they were in major shows.

There was also bad blood between 27th and BAC. We were housed by 27th on a June weekend trip to the Boston area, and I recall a lot of catcalls and petty 'stuff' happening in the parking lot as we were walking out with our assigned 27th members. it was part of a back-and-forth that was pretty common, is what we were told.

Mike, don't you think that saying there was "bad blood" is a major understatement? I loved both corps equally, but you never admitted to those who marched in one you enjoyed the other. I can remember being told by one of the directors of the CYO band I marched with not to wear 27th Lancer t-shirts if BAC was in the show. This would have been later than 1971.

Time can heal all wounds. I went to a show a few years ago with some of the better known 27th instructors sitting together and some well known old guard BAC folks spotted them. Big bear hugs, how are you, etc., everything but holding hands and singing "Kumbaya."

Ironically, one of the young hellions that used to relish the opportunity of getting in his full measure of fistfight licks with any rival corps members in the after show parking lots, later became a DCI Percussion judge.

Most kids grow up, mature, and give up that stuff. ( or they die early, or go to prison. )

Who knew, right ?

Edited by BRASSO

Ironically, one of the young hellions that used to relish the opportunity of getting in his full measure of fistfight licks with any rival corps members in the after show parking lots, later became a DCI Percussion judge.

Most kids grow up, mature, and give up that stuff. ( or they die early, or go to prison. )

Who knew, right ?

Do you ever wonder why 27th is not around.

Not lately.

Mike, don't you think that saying there was "bad blood" is a major understatement? I loved both corps equally, but you never admitted to those who marched in one you enjoyed the other. I can remember being told by one of the directors of the CYO band I marched with not to wear 27th Lancer t-shirts if BAC was in the show. This would have been later than 1971.

Yes, I was letting the veil of time cover up a lot of the "stuff" that I had heard about and witnessed. You are correct, it was definitely an understatement!

Pretty much covered in History of DC Vol II.

Thanks for the link. I'd thought that article was gone to the ether.

And, while not a newspaper, let's not forget the CBS Evening news story just this past August on Brandon the snare in BD. That there was some pretty great publicity for the activity, if not so controversial.

And while it also wasn't about drum corps controversy, there was also this story about the Cavaliers in the Chicago Tribune in August. The Tribune is the nation's tenth-largest newspaper by circulation (according to Wikipedia).