Fan Network - Why have you forsaken me?

Exactly, and that, I suspect, would often mean threats of litigation and mounds of paperwork in order to convince opposition to settle

I was mostly talking about keeping it from even getting that far by advising clients wisely, crafting agreements carefully and so forth. But yeah, even when it does get that far, it still doesn't usually make it to the courtroom.

Um...not sure if anyone mentioned this on here yet, but look at the WGI fan network:

Posted January 15th:

"No Fan Network subscriptions are available at this time.

WGI will not be providing online streaming performances until further notice.

Please watch WGI.org for more information."

http://wgi.thefannetwork.org/?vod_id=2ffce8c1-afd3-4a0c-9808-a19956d41fc8&mode=viral

That really doesn't sound good folks :unhappy:

Edited by TroopAlum12

appears to be getting worse.....more shows missing now.

2010 There are no longer ANY Finals videos of the Top-12.....all audio files only.........

in the Semi-Finals, only 5 World Class shows listed, none of the Top-12

more older pre-1990 material missing now as well.

:(

I like your point...at least, I like the fact that you're making it. Whether it ultimately becomes a positive for the activity is yet another matter entirely. To whit:

1) New compositions = previously unknown music (by it's very definition)

2) One of the complaints brought by many (admittedly, of the older school; i.e., those who preferred the days which presented shows with primarily known, hummable tunes) has been a movement away from that very same music

3) A shift toward newer and previously unknown music, however necessary due to financial considerations, could only serve to exacerbate an already existing problem (at least, in the eyes of many)

4) Exacerbating an already existing problem runs the risk of alienating even more of the established fan population -- a problem which DCI, or any organization for that matter, does not need

5) A choice of "pay more for what you hear, or pay less but don't expect to hear what you like" is not a direction that any of us wants for this activity, I'm sure

I hope I'm not totally missing the boat on the point that I think you are trying to make, Gar.

Yes, Garfield's point was valid, but it would weaken the activity to discourage copyrighted music. In general, the music we love is the very best of the very best (in a given genre, according to people's subjective standards in that genre).

What I mean is, maybe 1% of composers are really great. And only 10% of their works are really great. (Obviously wild estimates, but probably on the high side). So that means at most 0.1% of works created are actually great according to a given person's standard.

So - how do I say this delicately - what are the odds that your drum and bugle corps arranger is going to hit it out of the park on the very next try?

Yes, Garfield's point was valid, but it would weaken the activity to discourage copyrighted music. In general, the music we love is the very best of the very best (in a given genre, according to people's subjective standards in that genre).

What I mean is, maybe 1% of composers are really great. And only 10% of their works are really great. (Obviously wild estimates, but probably on the high side). So that means at most 0.1% of works created are actually great according to a given person's standard.

So - how do I say this delicately - what are the odds that your drum and bugle corps arranger is going to hit it out of the park on the very next try?

I wonder. Today's shows are mostly "theme" shows. Where the music is chosen to convey a mood or theme.

I think a new composer can do wonderful things writing music that he KNOWS is going to be done on a football field.

I think, lovingly, of Suncoast Sound.

I wonder. Today's shows are mostly "theme" shows. Where the music is chosen to convey a mood or theme.

I think a new composer can do wonderful things writing music that he KNOWS is going to be done on a football field.

I think, lovingly, of Suncoast Sound.

Ooh ... well played, Sir.

I agree with you, Pete. And that was the point that I thought I was making. Guess I just didn't say it clearly enough. Now, that being said...I'm not sure anyone is "discouraging" copyrighted music. It seems to me that it's more an issue of groups/arrangers minding their p's and q's, and going about their arrangements of previously copyrighted music in the correct manner. I'm sure that most do -- and I'm also sure that it becomes difficult when the scope and extent of the copyright laws change with every new interpretation of those very laws.

Edited by HornTeacher

Presenting their 2015 show - music so old it's in the public domain - drum corps international is proud to present - EVERY CORPS OUT THERE !!!!

• Like 2