What drives DCI World Class?

• 2 weeks later...

I think we're missing the obvious. Yes, drum corps costs money, excellence and competition are significant, but ultimately a deep commitment to young people through music, and performance ultimately drives drum corps. No director, instructor, or staff member will laugh all the way to the bank from salaries, people do not volunteer countless hours for corps just to promote WGI, BOA, or any of the other of the supposed evils that corrupt the evil behemoth DCI, and most donors probably donate to keep a corps they love alive.

An interesting post to be sure. Yep, it's true IMO that the genesis of any drum corps is a deep desire to bring a fun and exciting musical experience to kids. But the ranks of the activity are stuffed full of good intentions gone wrong as lofty expectations meet head on with the reality of making the dream an actual experience.

Since this is the WC forum I suspect you're talking about WC corps although I surely think that the altruistic vision is a driving force behind every corps in the activity.

In WC, however and as Ream said, the cost of admission is a solid financial foundation - altruistic vision is an assumed requisite.

The question is not about greed or even financial reward to the people who dedicate themselves to getting down the road. Although there are volunteers who actually generate revenue such as bingo or other fundraising efforts (or directors, for that matter!), the primary purpose of the vast majority of volunteers in drum corps is to save money by not having to pay for the labor of those services. Board members serve for free. Pro-bono legal and other work as well are all expense reduction programs because they are volunteer.

Marching members are a revenue source. Program charts and arranging are expenses. Leasing stadiums and organizing a tour are expenses. Ticket sales are revenue sources.

It doesn't matter the corps size or altruistic visions of providing the experience or the excitement of marching in WC, each and every organization has one, simple piece of required connecting tissue to achieve "the dream": money. It makes no difference if the dream is providing a WC experience and maybe playing Saturday night, or maintaining a position at the top of the scoring sheets.

Edited by garfield

At the risk of appearing an insufferable romantic, I think the following may be said for any activity...and WC Drum and Bugle Corps may be no different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UlzParBeWE

Seems like most think money is what drive's this activity, imo I think there is a lot more to it.

Misplaced apostrophes don't drive the activity, but they do drive me nuts. Or maybe nut's.

Edited by HockeyDad

An interesting post to be sure. Yep, it's true IMO that the genesis of any drum corps is a deep desire to bring a fun and exciting musical experience to kids. But the ranks of the activity are stuffed full of good intentions gone wrong as lofty expectations meet head on with the reality of making the dream an actual experience.

Since this is the WC forum I suspect you're talking about WC corps although I surely think that the

altruistic vision is a driving force behind every corps in the activity.

Nice post. imo there is so much that drives this activity. No real wrong answer.

In WC, however and as Ream said, the cost of admission is a solid financial foundation - altruistic vision is an assumed requisite.

The question is not about greed or even financial reward to the people who dedicate themselves to getting down the road. Although there are volunteers who actually generate revenue such as bingo or other fundraising efforts (or directors, for that matter!), the primary purpose of the vast majority of volunteers in drum corps is to save money by not having to pay for the labor of those services. Board members serve for free. Pro-bono legal and other work as well are all expense reduction programs because they are volunteer.

Marching members are a revenue source. Program charts and arranging are expenses. Leasing stadiums and organizing a tour are expenses. Ticket sales are revenue sources.

It doesn't matter the corps size or altruistic visions of providing the experience or the excitement of marching in WC, each and every organization has one, simple piece of required connecting tissue to achieve "the dream": money. It makes no difference if the dream is providing a WC experience and maybe playing Saturday night, or maintaining a position at the top of the scoring sheets.