Fan Network - The New Platform

I just logged into my DCI Fan Network account for the first time in many Months, & I reviewed finals from 1975 to 1981 & it appears than about 40% of the performances are no longer there. This really s u c k s.

Lawyers ruin everything.

Might get worse before a final decision is made.

Yeah the archives are awesome... but I bet a lot more people use Fan Network more often over the summer to watch live streams and VOD. I know I do. Hopefully the changes at least enhance that side of things, because it has been very back and forth from broadcast to broadcast.

1) interesting to hear about site updates, new platform, etc. I very much look forward to DCI upgraded their FN/digital content stuff and delivering the highest quality that these groups deserve!

2) question/thought for you subscribers - what is the main point of FN: to live stream/view shows during the summer season, or to watch older, archived shows during the off season? If FN dropped a lot of their archived shows, but continued bringing current season live streams & current season 'archives' (meaning show happens on a Saturday, is posted Monday afternoon and is up for, say, a full year/season subscription), would you as a subscriber be happy?

This conundrum or copyright law enforcement vs FN subscription has me thinking on what the real point is for me, and maybe it's time for DCI to completely rethink why they do FN, what studies of their traffic tells them, etc. Maybe it's not worth having older archived shows anymore, and DCI can bring that content to fans in other ways; then they focus FN mainly on current season content, or maybe a 5-10 year 'archive' that changes annually (add the most current season, drop the oldest). IDK what the answers are, only that managing this stuff will likely not get easier for DCI (or cheaper). It seems the most problematic stuff is pre-2000 shows so maybe the more current stuff is mostly OK (except for the shows that run into syncing rights problems, like Scouts + Empire State of Mind).

I think I personally spend more time on current season live-streaming from June-September, and then the rest of the year looking at older shows. My wife and I both teach band, and she definitely uses FN in the classroom to show students different interpretations of music, different performing styles, etc (she teaches middle school band). I show it sometimes to students in the fall, though I've found myself showing more YouTube videos of different sections warming-up to get my points across (usually along the lines of non-verbal communication in the front ensemble, performance quality, etc). I would be very bummed to see the archives go away, especially being someone who marched in the mid/late-90's and have a TON of fond memories for shows from late-80s to late-90s era drum corps. However I have always subscribed as a means to enjoy current season shows so I would be understanding with a format change. Especially if the quality of the streams improves

I have been a subscriber to the digitalconcerthall for about a year. I have the app on my Sony 3D Bluray player, and it has been worth every dime I paid for it. Never had a problem with it, and when the Fan Network gets an app for this player, I am in big time.

• Like 1

I signed up for the live feeds. Once in a while i may watch an archive for DCI...normally if i watch archives it's WGI

The relevant portion of the email:

During the next few months, the DCI Fan Network will be transitioning from its current delivery platform to a new state-of-the-art service designed with enhanced technology

This could mean a change from Brightcove to something else, but I'd say they are just going to give the website a face lift. To save face in response to the copyright issue. A face saving face lift. The face, having been lifted, will be saved.

Maybe they were already planning an upgrade, but if so the copyright issue is coincidental. More likely they will be choosing a web design service or person (homebrew is still quite possible given what is achievable today) "during the next few months".

• Like 1

1) interesting to hear about site updates, new platform, etc. I very much look forward to DCI upgraded their FN/digital content stuff and delivering the highest quality that these groups deserve!

2) question/thought for you subscribers - what is the main point of FN: to live stream/view shows during the summer season, or to watch older, archived shows during the off season? If FN dropped a lot of their archived shows, but continued bringing current season live streams & current season 'archives' (meaning show happens on a Saturday, is posted Monday afternoon and is up for, say, a full year/season subscription), would you as a subscriber be happy?

This conundrum or copyright law enforcement vs FN subscription has me thinking on what the real point is for me, and maybe it's time for DCI to completely rethink why they do FN, what studies of their traffic tells them, etc. Maybe it's not worth having older archived shows anymore, and DCI can bring that content to fans in other ways; then they focus FN mainly on current season content, or maybe a 5-10 year 'archive' that changes annually (add the most current season, drop the oldest). IDK what the answers are, only that managing this stuff will likely not get easier for DCI (or cheaper). It seems the most problematic stuff is pre-2000 shows so maybe the more current stuff is mostly OK (except for the shows that run into syncing rights problems, like Scouts + Empire State of Mind).

I think I personally spend more time on current season live-streaming from June-September, and then the rest of the year looking at older shows. My wife and I both teach band, and she definitely uses FN in the classroom to show students different interpretations of music, different performing styles, etc (she teaches middle school band). I show it sometimes to students in the fall, though I've found myself showing more YouTube videos of different sections warming-up to get my points across (usually along the lines of non-verbal communication in the front ensemble, performance quality, etc). I would be very bummed to see the archives go away, especially being someone who marched in the mid/late-90's and have a TON of fond memories for shows from late-80s to late-90s era drum corps. However I have always subscribed as a means to enjoy current season shows so I would be understanding with a format change. Especially if the quality of the streams improves

I only watch a couple of live events during the summer, but I watch far more archive material in total during the rest of the year.

I think they could drop the individual corps Fan Networks concept, unless it really gets significant use. it's confusing because some of the "Spotlight" videos trigger that for whatever corps it's about, and then I have to figure out how to get back (click on Home).

To see what I mean, click on the right arrow at the bottom of the main "Spotlight 2014" screen and click on the blue SOA14 December Update video (1/14/14). The page will turn blue with SOA's logo,and you are stuck in SOA land. If you don't read the banner you might not even notice. You just see that most of the videos are now gone. Click Home to get back.

Does anyone use or want that feature?

Without it, they could stop listing the city and date on each show box, and instead put the title of the show! (Did I say this before? Sorry to be repetitive if so.)

This conundrum or copyright law enforcement vs FN subscription has me thinking on what the real point is for me, and maybe it's time for DCI to completely rethink why they do FN, what studies of their traffic tells them, etc.

As others have pointed out here, DCI has done precisely what you describe. They have looked at their internal data on recent traffic and sales, seen that live coverage gets more traffic than archives, and concluded that people are less interested in archives to whatever proportion their data suggests.

How stupid is that?

Is anyone surprised that live events drive recent traffic? The last time DCI did anything significant with archival media was when they released the legacy DVDs back in, what, 1999? Live coverage brings us fresh new material frequently, but there is nothing being added on the archival front, and no effort to even stir the pot. Thousands of video and audio recordings sit and rot, while the Fan Network archival stream selection has remained unchanged since inception. Coverage of the current season is heavily promoted from May through August, while there is zero promotion for the Fan Network archives at any point in the year.

Put simply, what DCI does is:

- promote A and ignore B (maybe even promote A at the expense of B)

- watch as A receives more traffic than B

- take the resulting data as proof that there is no interest in B

"Market research" requires that you look beyond your internal sales data and consider (like the phrase says) the "market". DCI does not even look beyond their own one-sided promotional efforts, and the conclusions drawn from such myopic analysis are nothing but self-fulfilling prophecies.