Fan Network - The New Platform

you know those money and numbers guys, they always want more. They even invent things like "imaginary numbers"....

I was not...repeat not...attempting such an inference with my comment.

Stop being so rational!

[this post is brought to you by the number e and viewers like you!]

Relax, H.T.

It's not an integrity reference. It's a higher math reference (calculus, trigonometry, physics, etc.)

I am sure Garfield understands that.

As the musicians say, sub-divide, sub-divide.

Well, Woody didn't say "To the 27th digit and beyond!"

Back on topic...

I still don't think I fully understand the potential of this system upgrade and, of course, it doesn't help to not know exactly what they are going to do.

Right now, in full screen, most of the video is pixelated and/or pauses incessantly from bandwidth restrictions.

Is there a chance these will be better throughout the season?

Will this platform upgrade likely contain any audio enhancements?

Those of you who play around with such things surely know the differences and potential enhancements presuming DCI's budgeting constraints.

Easier log-in? Really, I'm stretching here. What likely will be improved with this new platform?

Beuhler?

Those of you who play around with such things surely know the differences and potential enhancements presuming DCI's budgeting constraints.

It's nice that DCI has announced a new platform objective, but they aren't made of money. I'm probably jumping to conclusions (again) but isn't using legal counsel a significant expense no matter what the outcome?

Edited by Lincoln

It's nice that DCI has announced a new platform objective, but they aren't made of money. I'm probably jumping to conclusions (again) but isn't using legal counsel a significant expense no matter what the outcome?

Not if it's pro bono. Not to mention, they may be waiting on another outcome or all sorts of things... I'd presume nothing about what may be going on behind the scenes. The outcomes are probably still TBD, so worrying won't help.

Edited by drumcat

Back on topic...

I still don't think I fully understand the potential of this system upgrade and, of course, it doesn't help to not know exactly what they are going to do.

Right now, in full screen, most of the video is pixelated and/or pauses incessantly from bandwidth restrictions.

Is there a chance these will be better throughout the season?

Will this platform upgrade likely contain any audio enhancements?

Easier log-in? Really, I'm stretching here. What likely will be improved with this new platform?

Beuhler?

The benefit of the system will probably be more administrative than anything pixel-specific. Legacy stuff is 640x480. That's because the DVDs are the same, and they're just rips from the collection. In season, probably not much different quality given it'll probably be nearly the same equipment broadcasting it.

What you'll probably see is more along the lines of a modern, responsive, mobile friendly site. Maybe even some integration between what's dci.org and what's FN. I can tell you that the back end of their systems is "homebrew"... like, someone sat down and wrote it. The systems in need at the time were just not something you could buy. Today, they are still complex enough that it's either a major purchase, or more commonly, a service.

If you want kind of the example everyone envisioned from the beginning, look at your average sports league. League home pages, team pages, integrated highlights... that sort of thing would be out of reach without either a larger web staff, or in this case, a partner platform. What you're going to see in the little black video box won't be much different. It'll be everything else.

• Like 1

I have to agree with Garfield regarding the picture quality. Even with shows from more recent years, anytime there's a decent amount of motion (which is almost always in a DCI show) the image turns into a blocky mess. Here's an example screen shot: (hopefully a single frame grab isn't against DCP policy)

IMG_0466_zpsnchdjgq4.png

I'm positive it used to look better than this. I also don't think it's my ISP because I'm averaging 13-14 Mbps and other streaming services like Netflix are showing full HD flawlessly. Between this and the loss of content, I'm pretty disappointed.