The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

[quote name='Lance' post='2761128' date='Mar 19 2010, 11:51 PM']Excellent. I also really like this specific section of the score when R+J first meet:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mX7iniA-Fc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mX7iniA-Fc[/url][/quote]
Good link and thanks. This is one of many movies I viewed when I liked the music better than the movie. A few years later, I read the play. Kinda reverse :-)

Good link and thanks. This is one of many movies I viewed when I liked the music better than the movie. A few years later, I read the play. Kinda reverse :-)

Haha. I read the play 3 times a year.

I have the live performance you linked now bookmarked in my favorites, btw, so thanks.

Battle of Agincourt from Henry V Soundtrack:

(amazing at the 2:10 mark)

Any corps, please.

Thanks for introducing me to modern composers. This is a piece fit for a King and Drum Corps. I have this bookmarked, I enjoy the piece (I'm sincere, no sarcasm :-) Forgive me if I'm wordy but as insight regarding my music, drum corps and winter guard...in school we had numerous field trips 71-74 to the Toronto Symphony, opera, ballet, stage and musical theatre. I performed in choir, theatre, drum corps and winter guard for many years. When I moved to Kitchener-Waterloo September 1974, I bought seasons tickets to K-W Symphony and attended many other live performances at both Universities.

My signature indicates 20 years winter guard (November to April is the season). We listened to alot of music. Last night I found a box filled with cassette tapes, music we used for guard warm-ups and/or travel music from 79-84 or so. Here's a small sample of my composite tapes by artist and album/song; Seawind-He Loves Me, Ramsey Lewis-Sun Goddess, Johnny Guitar Watson-Giant, Herbie Hancock-Sunlight, Nylons-Up the Ladder to the Roof, Manhatten Transfer-Birdland, Culture Club-Colour by Numbers, Doobie Brothers-Clear as the Driven Snow, Ukiah-Minute by Minute, Loggins and Messina-House on Pooh Corner, Chocolate Milk-Tin Man, Isaac Hayes-The Storm is Over. Another tape has trumpet music selections on side 1 from Scheidt, Zelenka, Bach, Purcell, Mouret, Reiche, Tellemann. Side 2 is labelled Cosmos with selections from Vangelis, Shostakovich, Bach, Synergy, Rimsky-Korsakov, Stravinsky and Traditional.

In October 1983 our winter guard circuit had a meeting. Each guard instructor was given 3 blank tapes. They(we) were to talk(critique) on the tapes during or shortly after 3 performances.

1) The Nylons performance November 1983 at Wintergarten Lounge

2) Watch the skating version of Nutcracker Suite on CBC TV

3) Watch Torville and Dean during the 1984 World Figure Skating Championships

I googled K-W Symphony today. Nylons are performing with them in April 2010!

This is when I first saw them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mpw2Ue-HDg&NR=1

I have this album and tape which we used for flag spinning exercises (turn volume control down :-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdiyfiVdzrA

and this is a recent performance, oh my, a blast from the past http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-VjdTmMSk8...feature=related

edit: that's alot of words, yikes!

Edited by lindap

I've been watching The Pacific on HBO. I don't care for intro theme, but the end title theme is very nice.

So I'm adding "With the Old Breed-End Title Theme from The Pacific"

You can listen to it here:

Listen

when i click on the link i get a message 'We're sorry. We have detected that you are outside of the United States.' it happens, it's ok.

I'm sorry I can't share some of our documentaries with you also. It seems The Pacific will be an extraordinary miniseries. I hope you watch it all.

I spent the evening talking with a friend from California whom I hadn't phoned in over 10 years. Her voice and words were music to my ears. Thanks Lance.

I heard this piece at an orchestral concert over the weekend. Really impressed by this:

Shostakovich: Dance 1 from Jazz Suite No. 1

This piece reminded me of Festive Overture. But faster.

I think it could be a great opener.

The Henry V selections mentioned a few posts back. Would love to see these too.

I think Vanguard did these in 1993??

I would like to see somebody take a shot at "Symphony #1: Three Movements for Orchestra" by Ellen Taafe Zwillich.

I really like this piece and think it would easily translate onto the field.

I heard this piece at an orchestral concert over the weekend. Really impressed by this:

Shostakovich: Dance 1 from Jazz Suite No. 1

This piece reminded me of Festive Overture. But faster.

I think it could be a great opener.

The Henry V selections mentioned a few posts back. Would love to see these too.

I think Vanguard did these in 1993??

Got a cd years ago, Mediterranean Classics, at a second hand store; helps me focus at work. 2 of 16 pieces...

La Forza del Destino by Verdi - London Symphony Orchestra conducted by James Levine

La fille aux cheveux de lin by Debussy - Mícéal O'Rourke, pianist

I still think there's a lot of rock and roll that could translate well but the genre has still only really been skimmed... everyone always brings up Radio Head... I also think a lot of Kansas (good for Spirit), Boston, The Beatles, Elton John, Billy Joel (Splooie), et al would do well on the field. Nothing too simple because simple rock music (which, to be fair I suppose, is most of it) always translates "bando-ish" to drum corps... however, I don't think that's reason enough to stay away from the genre entirely.