The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

Also, just as a tidbit, not sure how it would tie into the current conversation, but the Cavaliers played Hindemith's "March" from "Symphonic Metamorphoses" in 1994, and not only was it completely recognizable, but it was pretty good, too! I'd love to hear that piece again!

Only thing about that show is that it was so disjointed musically . . .but the selections and the visual imagery was just amazing to me. Great version of "Sensamaya" as well.

"March" felt a little tacked on to the end of that show; it's a good one, but it always seems to get lost in between 1992 and 1995.

Dood

(opener)Carmina Burana- Cadets

(ballad)Salvation is Created-Santa Clara or Blue Knights

(End)Symphonique Fantastique-Santa Clara or Blue Knights

I've always thought opera was under-utilized in drum corps. The two seem made for each other . . . opera can be loud, bombastic, powerful, and melodic in the popular sense of the term, while still (usually) being musically and visually sophisticated. I've often wondered what some of these would sound like with a top hornline:

"

" from Les Contes d'Hoffman - Offenbach The long buildup and big payoff could make a powerful mid-section for a show.

"Va pensiero" from Nabucco - Verdi I'm not a big Verdi fan, but this could be a beautiful ballad.

"

" from Il Nozze de Figaro - Mozart One of the most beautiful and fitting musical finales ever written, would love to see it on the field . . . in competent hands. I've often wondered if a corps like Crown could pull off a "10 Minute Figaro" or something like that. If done well, the result could be fun and memorable.

Contemporary opera would be worth exploring too. Einstein on the Beach has already been mentioned. I think Dr. Atomic could work well for either of our big California corps.

I'd also like to repeat the recommendation of Steve Reich. It'd also make me happy to see some of the sacred minimalists like Arvo Part and John Tavener get some attention. Vanguard's "sacred" show (even if much of the music was secular) was the most moving production I've ever seen on the field . . . it's a route that needs to be pursued more often.

I've always thought opera was under-utilized in drum corps. The two seem made for each other . . . opera can be loud, bombastic, powerful, and melodic in the popular sense of the term, while still (usually) being musically and visually sophisticated. I've often wondered what some of these would sound like with a top hornline:

"

" from Les Contes d'Hoffman - Offenbach The long buildup and big payoff could make a powerful mid-section for a show.

"Va pensiero" from Nabucco - Verdi I'm not a big Verdi fan, but this could be a beautiful ballad.

"

" from Il Nozze de Figaro - Mozart One of the most beautiful and fitting musical finales ever written, would love to see it on the field . . . in competent hands. I've often wondered if a corps like Crown could pull off a "10 Minute Figaro" or something like that. If done well, the result could be fun and memorable.

Contemporary opera would be worth exploring too. Einstein on the Beach has already been mentioned. I think Dr. Atomic could work well for either of our big California corps.

I'd also like to repeat the recommendation of Steve Reich. It'd also make me happy to see some of the sacred minimalists like Arvo Part and John Tavener get some attention. Vanguard's "sacred" show (even if much of the music was secular) was the most moving production I've ever seen on the field . . . it's a route that needs to be pursued more often.

DITTO

Con Te Partiro would, Be. Epic.

Always wanted to see a corps do "The Barber of Seville" with Bugs Bunny cutting Elmer Fudd's hair, on the center X. :thumbup:

Edited by markdewine

"Feels So Good" = TASTY ! :thumbup: