SOA '15

The price to audition isn't high at all, IMO.

As for not having other information about director, staff, etc. that is troubling, and I also agree the money beg is getting a little old.

I do feel bad if they are struggling and finances aren't where they should be, but seeming desperate doesn't put a lot of faith in people's minds, especially when they're considering sending students, family, etc. there to audition or march.

I'm just not seeing anything that makes me confident in the direction they're going.

This is very much in line with what other corps are charging. Spirit is making moves that, in my eyes, are going to put them well down the road to success. First and foremost bringing Jeff Nelson on board. Marched with him, watched him resurrect a dying business...yeah, he is definitely the man to right the ship. It will take time, but rest assured, it's moving in the right direction.

Dan

This is very much in line with what other corps are charging. Spirit is making moves that, in my eyes, are going to put them well down the road to success. First and foremost bringing Jeff Nelson on board. Marched with him, watched him resurrect a dying business...yeah, he is definitely the man to right the ship. It will take time, but rest assured, it's moving in the right direction.

Dan

Not to mention the board is being structured with business professionals, and is being run as a business. There is no $$ begging....rather a program called the Delta Group, which is open to anyone, ran by the SoAAA and designed to help the members, help corps, and invest in interest bearing accounts.

There are over 1000 interest forms already for 2016, and there have been plenty of qualified staff members in all areas express a great interest in coming on board. I am not worried about it...under the prior regime there was cause for much worry...those days are over.

The price to audition isn't high at all, IMO.

As for not having other information about director, staff, etc. that is troubling, and I also agree the money beg is getting a little old.

I do feel bad if they are struggling and finances aren't where they should be, but seeming desperate doesn't put a lot of faith in people's minds, especially when they're considering sending students, family, etc. there to audition or march.

I'm just not seeing anything that makes me confident in the direction they're going.

I hope you understand -- the money that is being solicited is not just for the next season, but part of it will be invested for the future.

I hope you understand -- the money that is being solicited is not just for the next season, but part of it will be invested for the future.

That's easy to say, but with nothing out there but the money beg, still doesn't make me comfortable, nor have faith that what your implying is for sure.

The previous board chairperson dug the corps a deep financial hole, but she is no longer involved, and her replacement, Jeff Nelson of Lone Star Percussion, has put together a good team of board members that I'm confident will put the corps back on sound financial footing.

But that new team of board members has been together for less than a month, and is working hard to choose a new corps director and staff. I for one am very glad that they are going about it methodically and not just rushing a decision on a new director and staff.

I'm willing to give them a little more time to make sound decisions, and if you knew how close Spirit of Atlanta came to joining the ranks of the 27th Lancers, Bridgemen and Suncoast Sounds of the drum corps world, you would too.

The previous board chairperson dug the corps a deep financial hole, but she is no longer involved, and her replacement, Jeff Nelson of Lone Star Percussion, has put together a good team of board members that I'm confident will put the corps back on sound financial footing.

But that new team of board members has been together for less than a month, and is working hard to choose a new corps director and staff. I for one am very glad that they are going about it methodically and not just rushing a decision on a new director and staff.

I'm willing to give them a little more time to make sound decisions, and if you knew how close Spirit of Atlanta came to joining the ranks of the 27th Lancers, Bridgemen and Suncoast Sounds of the drum corps world, you would too.

I think the Bridgemen is a great parallel. If I recall, they lost a bus while on tour and that was it.

So...1. NO corps director, 2. NO staff announcements (who's leaving, who's staying?), 3. NO audition date. I must say, I'm very worried about 2016. The only communication coming from Spirit is a consistent plea for money. At this point, I couldn't encourage anyone to consider Spirit as an option for 2016. The pool of auditionees is narrowing every day as potential marching members make plans to audition for other corps that have confirmed audition dates, caption heads, etc. Looking for anyone to change my mind on this? Anyone?

Ask and thou shalt receive. From Spirit's Facebook page:

The Board of Directors of the Spirit of Atlanta Drum and Bugle Corps are proud to announce Chris Moore as Corps Director, and David Coheley as Assistant Corps Director for the 2015-16 season.

Jeff Nelson, President of the Board of Directors had this to say, “Spirit of Atlanta is very excited to have Chris and Dave on board to guide us through Spirit’s 2016, 40th anniversary season. Both gentlemen are highly regarded alumni and former staff members of Spirit, bringing with them a wealth of leadership experience and many deep connections into the marching arts and education scene in the Southeastern U.S.”

Chris Moore currently serves as Director of Athletic Bands and Coordinator of Percussion Studies at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, Georgia where he has been since 1995. “I am extremely honored to be reunited with Spirit of Atlanta,” states Chris. “Spirit is an organization so dear to my heart with such a rich history in Drum Corps International, and in our community.” Mr. Moore has a long association with Spirit of Atlanta having marched 1980-82, and 1984. He served on staff in 1989 and 1990. “I look forward to working with an energized board of directors, engaging our incredible alumni base and assembling an outstanding design and educational team. I hope that team will give our members the very best experience.”

Chris holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Jacksonville State University where he was a four-year member of the Marching Southerner’s drumline. He earned a Master of Music degree from East Carolina University where he was as a percussion graduate assistant in the School of Music and for the Marching Pirates.

Encouraged by the work of the new Board of Directors so far Chris is excited to begin planning for the 2016 season. “The hiring process has already begun for an impressive design, instructional and operational staff. It is our goal to bring a qualified and enthusiastic team to further advance a program that provides one of the best leadership, character and growth opportunities for youth we can imagine.”

David Coheley is the music director at Our Lady of the Assumption School in Atlanta, Georgia. Like Chris, he has a rich history with Spirit of Atlanta having marched from 1981-84, and served on staff in 1985, ’92, and ’93. “I am sincerely appreciative to the Spirit of Atlanta Board of Directors for allowing me to become part of such an extraordinary organization. My wife was a charter member of Spirit of Atlanta, and we love this corps with all of our hearts.”

David has served as a judge for WGI and DCA. He is also the percussion arranger for many local high schools as well as Second Bridge Indoor percussion. In 2011, David was inducted into the SCGC Hall of Fame for his years of service as percussion coordinator. During his tenure in WGI the number of competitive groups tripled and judges' training was expanded. Mr. Coheley is percussion arranger and caption head for four bands in metropolitan Atlanta, and also is on the staff of the Atlanta Falcons Drum Line.

“Spirit of Atlanta is my drum corps home,” states David. “This organization has helped me to become the husband, father and teacher I am today.” Like Chris, David feels “the organizational changes made in the last month will make a phenomenal impact on the success of Spirit of Atlanta.”

Chris and David are proudly committed to providing the most successful and educational opportunities for every member of the corps. “Success will depend on the drive, commitment and desire from all of us,” states David.

Spirit of Atlanta continues to prepare for the 2016 season, and more information will be available soon. Please look out for staff announcements in the very near future.

‪#‎DCI‬ ‪#‎SoA‬ ‪#‎Announcements‬

November's Camp info is already available. Staff announcements coming soon.

• Like 4

In all actuality the staff could be announced right now...they are 99% complete...just waiting on contracts. Verbals are in place.

Play time is over folks! Nothing on a go forward basis will resemble anything that use to be. That is a promise you can bank on!!

JKT90

• Like 2

This is fantastic news for Spirit. Both of these gentlemen are a wonderful fit in their perspective positions. I see GREAT things in Spirit's future moving forward.

Good luck Chris and Dave...you have the full support of everyone that has ever been associated with the drum corps.

Dan

• Like 2