SOA '15

Brassman88........more like ### man. You are just looking foolish and rude. Do you know his background and what he does?

Isn't that the point of this forum: To say things that no one agrees with? I have to sift through a lot of crap to find anything that I agree with. Singing the praises of a losing effort is just like trashing a successful drum corps. It is worthless. Everything on this forum can be viewed as rude if you don't agree with what is said. His assertion that I've done nothing is absurd. Backgrounds don't mean anything. Look at JW's background. Does that make him a success this year or last year? Did CrownBariDad march with this drumcorps in the past? Pretending that they did good is, to borrow your word, foolish.

brassman88, undercoversteve, westcoastblue: What have YOU done to support Spirit this season?

First, you do not have to support something (however you want to define that) to have an opinion, concerns, a viewpoint.

While I have great respect for your defense of your son's corps, or any corps for that matter, please understand I am not attacking the members or pointing any fingers at them in regards to the past two seasons. Quite the opposite, I wish for them that the drum crops experience is everything it can be and that nothing stands in the way of that. While members can control their personal performance and attitude, most everything else is beyond their control. So who is to check in on the adults that are there to provide no obstacles to the members that are within their control?

To say that everyone in all situations such as this fits neatly into one of two categories, "being part of the solution" or "being part of the problem", is simply not applicable and is one of those sayings that initially comes across as sound, but simply is usually an ineffective tool for moving toward resolution. While I have a say in who is president of the US, my contribution to the decision is small, and my trying to be part of the solution may not have any affect at all. As a matter of fact, despite good intentions, it may have the opposite affect. Regarding SOA, in what way am I positioned to support Spirit? Only in very small ways considering all things related to their success. I cannot call a meeting of their board to find out where their brains are currently. I cannot with good conscience give them tons of money not knowing in who's hands it will land. I cannot call Dan Acheson and ask for an official inquiry. I cannot write their show for them nor make their design team watch drum corps videos and teach them about effective programming. I cannot drive to Atlanta and make sure all details are taken care of so that the corps leaves everydays on time and does not miss their first show of the season. I cannot convince them that purchasing new Kanstul horns before having sold their existing brass is a bad idea. I cannot convince them nor some posters here that the new horns made no noticeable difference.

I can go to shows and pay my ticket cost, which some small amount ends up in SOA's hands. I can and do clap for them regardless of my reactions to their performances. I can donate money to their summer food drive, with those funds going to people related to the organization that I trust. I can talk in public about the member's positive efforts (see all past related posts or sit by me at a show).

So, to answer your question, I am much more a part of the solution than the problem. I created none of their issues. If you or any supporter is angered or frustrated by my viewpoint, perhaps you or someone who is more poised than I am will contact the board, attend a meeting, call Dan Acheson, put tons of money in the hands of someone there that you trust will do the right thing with it (hire a competent design team, feed the corps, take care of anything that stands in the way of members realizing the full expression of their talents). My financial contributions to the corps stopped after last season, not because I didn't like the show, it stopped because I no longer trusted those in charge to use it responsibly. I do pay member dues for SOA and other corps, to help members I know want to march where they want to march. Who am I to say I would support them only if they picked a corps I wanted them to march with this summer.

More questions?

• Like 1

First, you do not have to support something (however you want to define that) to have an opinion, concerns, a viewpoint.

While I have great respect for your defense of your son's corps, or any corps for that matter, please understand I am not attacking the members or pointing any fingers at them in regards to the past two seasons. Quite the opposite, I wish for them that the drum crops experience is everything it can be and that nothing stands in the way of that. While members can control their personal performance and attitude, most everything else is beyond their control. So who is to check in on the adults that are there to provide no obstacles to the members that are within their control?

To say that everyone in all situations such as this fits neatly into one of two categories, "being part of the solution" or "being part of the problem", is simply not applicable and is one of those sayings that initially comes across as sound, but simply is usually an ineffective tool for moving toward resolution. While I have a say in who is president of the US, my contribution to the decision is small, and my trying to be part of the solution may not have any affect at all. As a matter of fact, despite good intentions, it may have the opposite affect. Regarding SOA, in what way am I positioned to support Spirit? Only in very small ways considering all things related to their success. I cannot call a meeting of their board to find out where their brains are currently. I cannot with good conscience give them tons of money not knowing in who's hands it will land. I cannot call Dan Acheson and ask for an official inquiry. I cannot write their show for them nor make their design team watch drum corps videos and teach them about effective programming. I cannot drive to Atlanta and make sure all details are taken care of so that the corps leaves everydays on time and does not miss their first show of the season. I cannot convince them that purchasing new Kanstul horns before having sold their existing brass is a bad idea. I cannot convince them nor some posters here that the new horns made no noticeable difference.

I can go to shows and pay my ticket cost, which some small amount ends up in SOA's hands. I can and do clap for them regardless of my reactions to their performances. I can donate money to their summer food drive, with those funds going to people related to the organization that I trust. I can talk in public about the member's positive efforts (see all past related posts or sit by me at a show).

So, to answer your question, I am much more a part of the solution than the problem. I created none of their issues. If you or any supporter is angered or frustrated by my viewpoint, perhaps you or someone who is more poised than I am will contact the board, attend a meeting, call Dan Acheson, put tons of money in the hands of someone there that you trust will do the right thing with it (hire a competent design team, feed the corps, take care of anything that stands in the way of members realizing the full expression of their talents). My financial contributions to the corps stopped after last season, not because I didn't like the show, it stopped because I no longer trusted those in charge to use it responsibly. I do pay member dues for SOA and other corps, to help members I know want to march where they want to march. Who am I to say I would support them only if they picked a corps I wanted them to march with this summer.

More questions?

See - - - read this and enjoy. An opinion that matters.

Yes a well thought out and tactful post. Take notes westcoastblue has a bit of class.

Yes a well thought out and tactful post. Take notes westcoastblue has a bit of class.

See - - - read this and enjoy. An opinion that matters. Right = Class. Singing the praises of a failed season = No Class.

• Like 1

I am going to copy this impressive response, replace "Spirit of Atlanta" with my favorite corps, and post it in another thread. :)

Um Hey folks..Let's not allow this forum to turn nasty, vile, and angry as the PhantonPhail did/has. Everyone has an opinion and we will not all agree.But let's try to be civil, understanding, and try to really listen to what other people have to say and feel. The other choice is for mods to just close down a forum when it gets too out of control. Then we all lose. Stop the blame game and pointing fingers at people. There is a lot we don't know and it's really none of our business unless we have kids involved with the corps.

• Like 2

So, what I get from all of this.

Spirit of Atlanta Theme = F

Spirit of Atlanta Members = A

Spirit of Atlanta Director = F

Spirit of Atlanta Brass Staff = A

Spirit of Atanta Guard Staff = D

Spirit of Atlanta Visual Staff = D

Spirit of Atlanta Supporters = A

Spirit of Atlanta Haters = F

Spirit of Atlanta Forum People with a Negative Opinion = A

Spirit of Atlanta Forum People with a Positive Opinion = A

Forum People who name call Negative Opinion People = F

Forum People who call out Positive Opinion People = F

Does any of this matter?

Everything on this forum can be viewed as rude if you don't agree with what is said.

That suggests a misunderstanding of what "rude" means.