NightBEAT Possibly Moving to Winston Salem in 2015?

Got a survey from Carolina Crown a few days ago asking us if we would still attend NightBEAT if it were moved to Wake Forrest University in Winston Salem. Seems there might be some construction issues with the stadium(again) which may require the show to be temporarily moved again this year. For those outside of North Carolina, that's about an hour and a half north of Downtown Charlotte. For me it's a no brainier as I live near the campus, but I'm curious if anyone else has heard if this was a done deal?

Seems like there is a problem finding a good stadium in the Charlotte area. I'm not a huge fan of Memorial Stadium - always difficult to get to and from the restrooms and concessions, not to mention the token system. BB&T field would be a great venue (great sight lines and acoustics) but that would be quite a haul for people coming from Charlotte. Thoughts?

Edited by Newseditor44

Thanks for the heads-up, speculation though it be at this point.

For those of us who hit Rainbeat the night after Atlanta, this may help in planning.

For those of us who aren't Carolinans, locations (with the stadium names for instance XYZ Field in downtown Gastonia) might make for easier reading rather than to spend the afternoon fact checking with google.

To answer your question, I didn't receive anything to date and I seem to be on all their pre-contest ticket lists and donor (and begging and) begging letters.

I knew it was too good to be true. No rain when Rainbeat contest was returned to downtown Charlotte for two years, ha, ha. O well, Carolina Cloud.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

I'm about an hour and a half west of Charlotte, so this makes it a 6 hour round trip for me instead of a 3 hour trip, the day after I've done about 8 hours in the car to get to Atlanta. I got the survey, and gave them similar feedback.

I'm not saying I wouldn't make the drive, but it's much less likely in any sort of even mildly bad weather conditions.

• Like 1

Why cant they use the new stadium at UNC Charlotte?

Looking at it on Google Maps, I think it would to be too small for a TOC event.

I was impressed by many aspects of NightBeat last year. For one thing it was a last minute plan, so I was happy to see once again some excellent corps. Due to summer vacation plans changing (I was travelling in the South), I had the opportunity to go to Atlanta and since I was missed Allentown and Indy last year, it was the best way to see all the WC corps. My seats were not the best, but considering it was a last minute decision, I didn't expect perfect seats. The crowd was young and enthusaistic, huge number of high school kids, which reminded me of going to shows when I was in high school where the audience was much younger than many shows today. I agree that the use of tokens was a pain, but parking was great. The people were friendly. The skies were threatening and we left to a deluge, but Crown can't control the weather.

I've been told the shows in the south tend to have a younger audience which was certainly the case in Atlanta and Charlotte as opposed to many Midwest and Northeast shows where the crowd is older. If moving the venue ensures keeping the young, enthusiastic crowd or even better grows the crowd, the there should be no problem with a new venue, but if it upsets what appears to be working, looking for a venue closer to charlotte may be the better answer.

But not the same height presbox/judges' seats as many DCI shows. Corps seek to mimic LOS, regionals, and finals.

NFL size stadia seem to be the rule of thumb in actual practice even if such a stadium is on a college campus.

Notable exception was Love's Field at Boylan H.S. in Rockford for two shows. The crowds were so large that seats were set up along all boundaries of the end zone. It actually got pretty hairy and perhaps dangerous (guard tossing flag poles, weapons, hornlines tossing euphoniums, and props and percussion being propelled in and off the field.) After concerns raised by other corps, PR moved the show.

Now Charlotte's Memorial Field is perhaps the smallest stadium used for this subset.

Edited by xandandl

But not the same height presbox/judges' seats as many DCI shows. Corps seek to mimic LOS, regionals, and finals.

NFL size stadia seem to be the rule of thumb in actual practice even if such a stadium is on a college campus.

Notable exception was Love's Field at Boylan H.S. in Rockford for two shows. The crowds were so large that seats were set up along all boundaries of the end zone. It actually got pretty hairy and perhaps dangerous (guard tossing flag poles, weapons, hornlines tossing euphoniums, and props and percussion being propelled in and off the field. After concerns raised by other corps, PR moved the show.

Now Charlotte's Memorial Field is perhaps the smallest stadium used for this subset.

OK, but shouldn't a true champion be able to adjust to different conditions?

short version: I don't disagree.

You might refer to my 6 volume annotated and edited anthology of all previous G-7, G-8, and anti-Hopkins DCP threads soon to be published in time for all proceeds to benefit certain MMs camp and tour fees for 2015. The edition with pictures will cost extra; for autographed copies, the line begins at the food truck. Bring your own pen.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2