The prediction thread got me thinking...

Would it be possible to start a Vegas-style gambling ring based on the drum corps tour?

It could be based on placements at shows, regionals, championship week. During finals week there could be interesting bets like they do with the Super Bowl. Some of the ideas could be based off the old drum corps drinking game that was circulating on the internet in the late 90's/early 2000's.

Might be kind of fun.

Speaking of, does anyone still have a link to the old drinking game. I know one of the items was take a drink every time David St Angel flips off the press box during the 1992 retreat.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

i picture it more like gambling with stocks rather than gambling on sports.

generally all scores go up. and corps overtaking each other is a slow ponderous process. so betting full corps wouldn't be very exciting.

so you'd bet margins and futures.

will corps X's Caption Y overtake a certain number by a certain date?

will the margin between Corps A's Caption B and Corps C's caption B increase or decrease?

i bet the action on "Blue Devils GE score: over/under 39.95' would have been fierce on friday night. and imagine the mid-July action on "Blue Devils Finals Night Score: Over/Under 99.4'

would I ever put a single $ on it? certainly not more than a 5 spot with a friend. it's still a subjectively judged sport, as much as the subjective tries to be objective it still isn't.

but I know there's a Drum Corps Fantasy League, and I know that over-analysis of statistics is the great american pastime. then there would be serious stat geeks looking at average score increase after 2 consecutive rehearsal days in late July by corps touring in the southeast.

I fully endorse the overmathification of anything, but I do so secretly and with a grain of shame :)

I'd need more data from all corps to place well-considered wagers:

• daily food menus
  • heat transference and breathability statistics on uniforms
  • daily description of practice fields
  • running tallies on numbers of members "hooking up"
  • traffic counts and stacking plan for bus bathroom lines
  • Like 3

if you examine back to 2000:

the smallest leap a corps has gone on to win is of course 0 places, repeat champions from 00-01, 01-02, 09-10

the largest leap is from 5th (10-11)

the average positional advancement into winning the championship is 1.35, reflecting the 7 times a group has gotten 2nd and then won.

so that math seems to favor the Bluecoats.

BUT

looking at the 5years prior to any corps winning the championships, the highest post-2000 is the cadets with an average placement of 4.

Crown's average placing the 5years prior to winning was 3.2, phantom's was 3.6.

so looking at corps who finished in the top 5 last year

BlueCoats current 5year is 4.6

SCV is at 5.2

the Cadets are at 3.2, as are Carolina Crown.

vegas is probably going to slot the Devils as the odds on favorite. but Field has a greater chance of ousting the champ than a repeat win.

so we are looking at the Cadets or Crown to take it. there are an equal number of times a corps has won while place in 5th or 3rd the year before, 1 each. but that 'average jump to championship' number of 1.35 seems to favor a smaller leap over a larger one, which is why smart money will take the Cadets to win it in 2016.

(the abovestated statistics and assumptions are presented purely for entertainment purposes, the poster in no way endorses gambling, gambling related activities, using math to ruin things, or spending too much time looking at placement statistics instead of working. like all math, results may vary.)

• Like 1

the smallest leap a corps has gone on to win is of course 0 places, repeat champions from 00-01, 01-02, 09-10

the average positional advancement into winning the championship is 1.35, reflecting the 7 times a group has gotten 2nd and then won.

BUT

looking at the 5years prior to any corps winning the championships, the highest post-2000 is the cadets with an average placement of 4.

SCV is at 5.2

vegas is probably going to slot the Devils as the odds on favorite. but Field has a greater chance of ousting the champ than a repeat win.

so we are looking at the Cadets or Crown to take it. there are an equal number of times a corps has won while place in 5th or 3rd the year before, 1 each. but that 'average jump to championship' number of 1.35 seems to favor a smaller leap over a larger one, which is why smart money will take the Cadets to win it in 2016.

(the abovestated statistics and assumptions are presented purely for entertainment purposes, the poster in no way endorses gambling, gambling related activities, using math to ruin things, or spending too much time looking at placement statistics instead of working. like all math, results may vary.)

BUT

SCV is at 5.2

Math is fun.

Get him out of the water!!! He's been in the pool too, too long. He's beginning to pickle!

He had enough problem figuring out 8-2-5's :tounge2:

Is that some kind of new IRS tax form that I should know about???

Is that some kind of new IRS tax form that I should know about???

Yes, yes it is.

You should call the IRS to demand your form 825 because, obviously, they have been very successful in keeping from you. You are entitled to the same Form 825 as every other tax-paying American.

Make your voice heard!

:tounge2:

(just a little sarcasm there)