New Judges...Comments?

They'll fall into the current rank n file. The abstract and weird will triumph otherwise the newbies will get the evil eye from George O etal.

They'll fall into the current rank n file. The abstract and weird will triumph otherwise the newbies will get the evil eye from George O etal.

Similar to book learning. Then what really happens in the work place begins. Or, some politicians go to DC with good intentions, but most "fall into the current rank n file".

Edited by Ghost

Yes DCI Judge, Beth Fabrizio went out and judged an early DCI show last season, and her slovenly attire that evening did raise some eyebrows. She made herself " the story " that evening ( intead of the Corps ), as there were several comments on DCP by posters on her rather odd and rather poor choice of attire ( motley looking, ill fitting, wringled shawl over some ratty and old looking jeans ) to judge Corps in performance. Ironically, Corps spend considerable time and effort to try and attain just the right look that they want in their judged performance. Ms. Fabrizio, an otherwise competent judge, by contrast, looked like she quickly slapped together whatever the cat dragged in from dumpster forraging, and then quickly put into her travel suitcase. I was not aware that the DCI office received complaints on her attire ( but not all that surprised, frankly ) To her credit, either she heard of the criticisms, or was given a talking too by somebody at DCI, or she simply came to her senses, as later in the season in her judged assignments, she looked much more professional in her chosen attire and more befitting for the role of a DCI Judge.

I wasn't distracted. I actually had to review the FN broadcast last year to see what the kerfuffle was about.

This morning I reviewed a few comments from that show. A couple of people seemed to make quite an overblown issue out of it.

Edited by Lincoln

I wasn't distracted. I actually had to review the FN broadcast last year to see what the kerfuffle was about.

This morning I reviewed a few comments from that show. A couple of people seemed to make quite an overblown issue out of it.

DCP ding dongs overblowing a non-issue?!?! To HeII you say...

• Like 5

Could one surmise that many new judges migrate from the band side of the street? Maybe someone from the band family can address your question.

Maybe, maybe not. I know a new judge from last year is a band director, but spent a LOT of time teaching DCI (and winning Championships). This person also judges WGI percussion, as well as several other national and regional band circuits: the type of person who is really good an analyzing a sheet's rubric and evaluating the groups based on the rubric

Similar to book learning. Then what really happens in the work place begins. Or, some politicians go to DC with good intentions, but most "fall into the current rank n file".

or maybe corps who have solid design per the rubric on the sheets will succeed regardless of judges (and regardless of DCP posters' personal opinions)

• Like 4

I would think that they 'd be universal agreement here that DCI judges score the Corps in competition and don't pay no mind to what any DCP 'a think on here... Nor should they . They know the sheets better than us here. Heck, if they listened to some of us here , The Star of Indiana would have won in 1993, instead of the Judges choice.

Nice story. I saw someone with a "judge trainee" badge at a show last summer (I think it was Ft. Wayne), and later overheard a corps director ask him how he was finding the experience. He had apparently judged marching band shows, and mentioned the longer performance time of drum corps shows.

Beth Fabrizio's odd attire did get a few negative comments and commentary last season. but my sense was that the story was not overblown at all,... More of one and done story, For context, Corps uniforms had several pages of thread commentary of both likes and dislikes and went on all season long .