In The Past 25 Years....

Even DCP seems to go through "themes", especially in terms of contentious discussion. In 2014, the overiding theme appeared to be "Reality." I guess this year's theme will be "Theme."

Which makes me wonder....at what point will some Corps come out with a new show announcement, and state that "This year's theme is "Theme."? Bound to happen sooner or later...

Concepts will hopefully replace themes. It will loosely connect a show in subtle ways and will allow for more artistic expression without hopefully the cheese that sometimes tops theme shows in August to ram the theme down our throats.

I don't have anything against the use of themes or concepts. I think both allow for a lot of freedom with show programming.

Story telling? IMO brings the greatest risks.

I don't have anything against the use of themes or concepts. I think both allow for a lot of freedom with show programming.

Story telling? IMO brings the greatest risks.

Totally agree. Especially when the story isn't constructed well, and the elements don't work together.

• Like 2

Totally agree. Especially when the story isn't constructed well, and the elements don't work together.

Good point, and what's up with that?

In drum corps, we think we can do anything at least as good as, if not better than most other performing groups (amateur or professional). Why can't we seem to tell a good story? I know... time allowed for development, etc., etc. I think that's just an excuse. We're better than that. When was the last time a good story was told on the field? Sky Ryders 86-88?

Why is it that if someone suggests "telling a story" on the field, people cringe? Instead, we constantly hear the, "We're not doing a literal interpretation or trying to tell a story..." Why not?

I think some corps could probably do a wonderful job of it, but it's likely to never be attempted because it simply wouldn't be competitively rewarded (IMO).

"Themes" are a lot easier to pull off because there's less exposure in failures to connect with an audience or adjudicator (IMO).

There doesn't have to be a theme...but if a drum corps show doesn't move the audience in a specific direction...emotionally; towards something tangible...it lacks GE...score suffers...personally I don't care.

Here's a sample non-themed show template:

-Open with "Folk Song Suite" or "Birdland"

-Insert Drum Solo

-Insert Ballad

-sprinkle entire show with lots of brass solos, small ensembles, CG solos, stick-tosses and sabre/rifle/flag tosses....

-Insert at least one Soprano Screamer Soloist Sparingly

-Insert visual feature....

-Insert Drum Solo/Viz feature version2....

-Insert something jazzy ("Channel 1"), funky(ToP, EL&P...) or rockin (BS&T, Chicago, A Latin-Jazz Barn Burner like "A Mis Abuelos" or some other fan-fave like "One More Time") for the 3rd production and ....

-Close with a tear-jerker ("Tenderland", "Don't Cry For Me..." "When a Man Loves A Woman" ..."Niner-Two"...u get the idea).

There you go. Show done.

only problem: not making finals hurts the bottom line BADLY...so whatre ya gonna do?

------->DO IT REALLY REALLY RIDICULOUSLY BAD @$$.

Technical superiority and audience approval will probably make up for the drag on GE due to "no clear show direction" or "no theme."

Some Director (and/or Board of Directors) just needs the cojones to bust out an old-school show designed to blow the stadium over...not necessarily win...but that would break 90 for sure & get the corps into Finals...everyone who plays on Saturday Night gets the same cut of the ticket sales last time I checked.

Good point, and what's up with that?

In drum corps, we think we can do anything at least as good as, if not better than most other performing groups (amateur or professional). Why can't we seem to tell a good story? I know... time allowed for development, etc., etc. I think that's just an excuse. We're better than that. When was the last time a good story was told on the field? Sky Ryders 86-88?

Why is it that if someone suggests "telling a story" on the field, people cringe? Instead, we constantly hear the, "We're not doing a literal interpretation or trying to tell a story..." Why not?

I think some corps could probably do a wonderful job of it, but it's likely to never be attempted because it simply wouldn't be competitively rewarded (IMO).

"Themes" are a lot easier to pull off because there's less exposure in failures to connect with an audience or adjudicator (IMO).

Actually there's a top 12 corps who's been storytelling quite a bit in the past 10 yrs. And they HAVE been rewarded.

• Like 1

As an opera buff, I would make the argument that Phantom in 2012 with "Turandot" could be in the category of having an amazing show that didn't really follow the theme of the opera, especially where they titled the show "Turandot.". I do not say this as a critique. It's one of my favorite shows and there was much to appreciate with that show:a top notch musical book, excellent guard work as well as excellent dancing, great use of color, graphic images that helped create the tension, and a feel of ancient mythical China, but if an opera lover were to see Phantom's interpretation, they would wonder where Liu was and why music representing her key role was omitted, and perhaps more important than anything else, there would be questions as to why the riddles were not better represented. For some who are reading my thoughts his may sound like nitpicking but it would not be for an opera buff.

Another beloved show that did not follow the theme is Madison's 1999 "Jesus Christ, Superstar." I did not get a sense of any spiritual attributes to the show, I did not get a feel of Andrew Lloyd Webber, nor was there any sense of the musical itself, but it's amazing drum corps.

a famous judge once told me:

if you take all of your allotted critique time to describe your show to me, you over-programmed.

• Like 3

a famous judge once told me:

if you take all of your allotted critique time to describe your show to me, you over-programmed.

Or as I think I once posted before...if you have to explain the punchline, then the joke isn't funny.

• Like 3

It's interesting to me that 2014 saw the winning show have a super (ish) thorough concept/theme, while the silver medalist had a super broad concept: great examples of how to be successful at both 'extremes' so to speak.

Bluecoats really excelled with the KISS concept (Keep It Simple Stupid): like they had just enough of a theme to develop cool visual and music ideas while executing incredibly well, and didn't let some story or theme bog them down like other corps.

Blue Devils really excelled exploiting the life-work and themes of an incredible film director & that director's long-time relationship with his composer: there is sooooo much ground to cover with Fellini BD did a nice job keeping it fairly focused while exploiting seemingly ever single count with thematic ideas - all while delivering awesome music near-flawlessly.