Dumbest things drum corps peeps told you

You forgot the third Mea Culpa. Four Hail Mary's.

I'm Methodist...I'll just down a thimble of JD as my penance. :colgate:

But you weren't saying it is a dumb thing to say or believe, like other things people are listing here. I that is what he missed.

Attempts at humor should never have to be apologized for. The results of those attempts are a big reason I tune in here. We can never know ahead of time which ones will strike oil. :)

Thank You, Jed Clampett.

I knew it! Probably the season the guard didn't wear underwear. 1978. That corps was amazing..

Are we citing a most certain and observable case of Divine Inspiration???

Edited by HornTeacher

" the Corps scored lower than usual this week as several of the Corps marchers came down this week with food poisoning , or the flu, or excessive bus fumes inhalation or fill in the blank malady"

" the Corps scored lower than usual this week as several of the Corps marchers came down this week with food poisoning , or the flu, or excessive bus fumes inhalation or fill in the blank malady"

Or passed far too closely to either Colorado or Washington D.C. ... let's not forget those. :silly:

Edited by HornTeacher

Disaster? Was it because they got 4th place or did something else happen?

Look at the drill, the feet and the Vis Effect of 1983-1985. Then in one fell swoop (and yes, MANY ageouts), look at the drill, feet and Vis Effect of 1986. Disaster. They were ###### lucky to come out of that on the other side. Not since the Anaheim Kingsmen had a defending champion looked so badly. Granted, that Disaster was 0.1 from 3rd place, but 5th through 8th had a lot of scoring baggage---luckily for Garfield.

• Like 1

Ah yes, the flu ravages a corps when said corps didn't win brass or percussion at a big show.

Look at the drill, the feet and the Vis Effect of 1983-1985. Then in one fell swoop (and yes, MANY ageouts), look at the drill, feet and Vis Effect of 1986. Disaster. They were ###### lucky to come out of that on the other side. Not since the Anaheim Kingsmen had a defending champion looked so badly. Granted, that Disaster was 0.1 from 3rd place, but 5th through 8th had a lot of scoring baggage---luckily for Garfield.

It was a huge drop in innovation and performance level but most of all, the thought was the glory days were over for the Cadets and they would soon be back to 11th place playing Elk's Parade. Luckily we got the team back in 1987. There after, the home grown talent took root end we generated Micheal Klesh, Tom Aungst, April Gilligan, Jeff Saktig and that process continued to momentum. After Jim, Donny, George Z, Peggy left, we had enough home grown talent to step in.

1986 isn't one of my favorite Cadets shows, but it's for other reasons. I wasn't keen on the scaled-down guard, the ending piece, the plastic clarinets and the banners in the opener. I think some of those choices in the programming were risks the corps took and I'm glad it was a one-time thing - even though I think the effort took a lot of guts. I remember some comments here from people who liked the banners.

As for feet, drill and visual effect I'm not qualified to even compare those to other years.

The massive brass sound in the opener was nice though.

Edited by Lincoln

What the record book says is that ANY season the Cadets divert attention to major non-competitive drum corps events, they do not perform/score as well as in other years.

(viz., Statue of Liberty re-dedication with Project Sail, Atlanta Olympics, etc.)

"86 was the Statue of Liberty year, a highlight in other ways beyond the competition field.