Pit PT

I really struggle with PT, I'm trying to find a corps that doesn't make pit do PT. What corps do not make pit do PT, open or world. A list would be great

• Like 1

I know of NO competitive touring drum corps who does not mandate some sort of Physical Training for it's front ensemble members if only for such members to be capable to load and unload the equipment truck for rehearsals and post-contest in safe but record setting time so that the corps can safely and quickly move to its next venue.

An unfit pit person is a danger to the whole front ensemble, would unfairly avoid the work necessary for the section, and would miss some of the funniest and greatest bonding experiences of the season.

That being said, DCI has seen some legitimately disabled persons still participate while doing a fair share of what the physical situation allows. These folks don't consider themselves handicapped but usually surpass most in their efforts and desire for excellence even in physical situations. They become an inspiration to the rest of the corps.

The pit isn''t for slackers. They just show their prowess in other amazing ways while still proving they are a capable and willing section of the whole corps.

I am not certain whether the original poster is disabled or not in the best physical shape. If it is a physical disability, I seem to remember about 2008 or so someone with disabilities performing in the front ensemble of a corps in finals. However the focus of the story was how the person worked just as hard in all aspects including training. There's also a segment on a Legacy DVD of a Gulf War veteran who was injured in action marching with Bluecoats. If I had time, I'd check for the year and accuracy of the story, but I beleve it was a war injury and he succeeded.

If the PT issue is not a disability but either being out of shape or not much of an athlete, it may just mean pushing yourself and not cutting yourself short. Jogging, bike riding, ten or fifteen minutes on a treadmill can make a difference and before long you will build up stamina, be able to do more, and enjoy it.

• Like 1

You do want to be part of a "team", so do whatever it takes to be part of that team. As Tim K. said, you didn't mention what your perceived(my word not Fr Tim's) limitations might be, but you're old enough to know what you must do to survive physical training. No one else is going to push your pit equipment every day for you, especially after a days worth of rehearsal in the heat and then you still have that 1/4 mile (or further) to the competition field at night.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

Sad to say but was has been said is the truth. Truth be told very highly doubt that in todays corps that WONDERFUL mellophone soloist from Garfield in the early 80's with one arm would be allowed to march.

Better not to worry about it and start doing your own PT right now. Start slow and work your way up. You'll be better off for it whether you make the corps or not.

Sad to say but was has been said is the truth. Truth be told very highly doubt that in todays corps that WONDERFUL mellophone soloist from Garfield in the early 80's with one arm would be allowed to march.

I imagine many corps today would offer a position to Barbara. To the best of her abilities, she used her left hand to assist in supporting her mello and probably did most of the cardio PT.

• Like 2

She most certainly did and never slacked from anything the corps was doing.

Oh, it was a struggle for her many times and she did endure the great pain at times.

She didn't ask for pity, never asked for special treatment, but set an example for everyone (marching members, staff and volunteers.)

Someone mentioned the military veteran who marched Bluecoats several years back. He also has been joined over the years by others with profound challenges.

That they were successful in their efforts is one reason that many in the drum corps audience are unaware of them but the very reason they have the respect of their corps mates and other marching members. They most certainly have mine.

• Like 1