Shows about sports?

I think it was Southwind back in the day who did a whole baseball-themed show on "A League Of Their Own."

And although it wasn't used in a sports-theme way, the 2002 Cadets played "The Place Where Dreams Come True" from "Field of Dreams."

94 for Southwind, several baseball-isms in it

Many high schools in the DC area have done sports theme shows over the years. Most recently, Briar Woods HS in Virginia did a show this past year based on Boxing (Heavy Rocky theme here).

I also remember Oakton High School in Virginia doing a baseball themed show a few years back that included all of the marching members wearing baseball uniforms and the guard using baseball bats instead of rifles.

I'm pretty sure my high school band competed against Oakton when they did that show.

'91 Cadets had a fun baseball segment in the coming-of-age part of their show (Coplands "Letter fron Home"). Unfotunately I just checked and that show is no longer on the Fan Network....

• Like 2

Someone needs to do a World Cup show. There’s so many things you can do with it:

- Most/every member has their own soccer ball. Use that to create a static form (like the Phantom 93 helmet thing).

- Play music representing certain countries and their style of play (individual flair of South American teams, slow-build strategy of European teams.

- Tons of emotional moments, just like the other great sports shows like Crown 07, Blue Stars 08, Bluecoats 08 (Tough training, Agony of Defeat, Thrill of Victory, etc)

- Get the audience to do some orgnanized chants

- If the group is big enough, and with an insane budget, maybe there can be some Tifos ...

1157632527.gif

As a soccer football er...Beautiful Game fan, I would love nothing more than to see a legit competitive unit (BOA, DCI, WGI) do a show revolving around the greatest sporting event ever played. The music rep. has endless possibilities, as would visual ideas.

Cadets (Garfield '86) segment from On the Waterfront was abstractly about Boxing with the boxing ring outline streamers. Love that piece. Bluecoats used it also in their Boxing show that has already been mentioned.

• Like 1

Lots of Corps over the years have had themes revolving around the time honored, popular sport of Revenge.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1