Rap, Hip-Hop, or Pop shows

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2015 at 9:12 PM, Dmlkmen said:

I think there is a possibility of soul /R&B with hip hop influemce to be arranged to fit the field. If we are talking Soul: Jill Scott, Lauryn Hill, Erykah Badu, or The Roots - I think could work and be very entertaining. I also think this song could be interesting if arranged in such a way where the lyrics could be used, maybe as a sample. Front ensemble parts write themselves into the way the song works.

:thumbdown::grrr::mad: Where's a "Regan in the Exorcist projectile Vomiting" emoticon when you need one?  

I know this is the WC board, and they're very late to the party, but Guardians (my kid's corps) this year are playing Kanye West tunes, though mixed with Symphonic Metamorphosis.  I've heard this show nonstop since January, and it's going to be a lot of fun!  There are several of his obligatory hit songs, but some deeper stuff as well.  Their first show is next Thursday in Denton, and they should be on FloMarching in San Antonio if you want to see how to mix rap and concert band, though they'll perform very early.

Mike

6 hours ago, MikeN said:

I know this is the WC board, and they're very late to the party, but Guardians (my kid's corps) this year are playing Kanye West tunes, though mixed with Symphonic Metamorphosis.  I've heard this show nonstop since January, and it's going to be a lot of fun!  There are several of his obligatory hit songs, but some deeper stuff as well.  Their first show is next Thursday in Denton, and they should be on FloMarching in San Antonio if you want to see how to mix rap and concert band, though they'll perform very early.

Mike

I'm now more excited for this show than any other, WC or OC.

1 minute ago, exitmusic said:

I'm now more excited for this show than any other, WC or OC.

Also, where can I see last year's show?!?

Radioactive - Symphonie Fantastique, Op. 14 * Radioactive * Radioactive * The Adoration of Veless and Ala (from Scythian Suite) * Creep * Everything In Its Right Place * The National Anthem * Church Windows, Movement II * Toxic  

On 4/22/2015 at 7:05 PM, sagemode67 said:

Any DCI or WGI shows with Rap, Hip-Hop, or Pop in them?

Any show with a modern drumline has hip hop in it to some degree, IMO. Hip hop beats have suffused modern American music across the board—even classical. I hear buts of hip hop everywhere in drum corps. It's a beat-based form of music: how could any percussion arranger resist, honestly? 

Edited by saxfreq1128

On 4/25/2015 at 5:31 PM, msumello said:

I think I'd be alright with hip hop or pop shows.......as for rap, I hope not...I don't think rap is really music....but some think it is and I don't want to debate the subject.

1) Most rap songs nowadays sample other styles of music, including jazz, r&b, pop, and rock. So at what point, when combining those things, does a rap song cease to be music? I'd love to know. 

2) Not "some" people. Most reasonable people, worldwide, think rap is music—which is why it has flourished everywhere as musical, and often political, expression. There's German rap, there's Ethiopian rap, there's rap by Muslim immigrants in France: it's everywhere.

3) I think you don't want to debate it because if we push you on the logic of this, we're very quickly going to establish that this is really about race and what you think is a legitimate form of expression, rather than "music" per sé. Just my hunch from having this argument thousands of times. 

Edited by saxfreq1128