Color Guard 2015

I know next to nothing about guard. During my day, my relationship to the color guard was to stay out of its way, because the rifle line would clean your clock and march right over the top of you before it would give an inch. They were not to be messed with.

Which is a big reason why I always thought that unison work was at the upper end of the difficulty scale. Your ears might not catch a bit of fuzz at the end of the snare line, but your eye sure as heck will spot a rifle catch that is a little as 1 degree off from the rest of the line. So, count me among those who are most impressed by guards that perform clean unison work.

• Like 2

I know next to nothing about guard. During my day, my relationship to the color guard was to stay out of its way, because the rifle line would clean your clock and march right over the top of you before it would give an inch. They were not to be messed with.

Which is a big reason why I always thought that unison work was at the upper end of the difficulty scale. Your ears might not catch a bit of fuzz at the end of the snare line, but your eye sure as heck will spot a rifle catch that is a little as 1 degree off from the rest of the line. So, count me among those who are most impressed by guards that perform clean unison work.

Agreed.

Some of the great Cadets guards of the 90s looked so great to my eyes because of the rock solid unison flag work. I appreciate what modern guards are doing, but dancing doesn't so much for me and neither does "everybody doing something different". Neither do sabres frankly, but that's hardly modern.

Exactly. Rewatch the 1996 Cadets' guard during "Tulsa." The corps stops to play those 16th note runs while the guard furiously spins gigantic yellow silks on 7-ft poles. The athleticism is amazing---not to mention switching direction on a dime. (And great TV direction!) And after the drum feature of "Red Pony," they emerge from behind the props spinning the flags while jumping and flipping a 360, and the line is perfect. It's no wonder that's my standard for DCI color guards!

(It's flashy stuff like that---and nearly ALL of Cadets' 1994/5 guards---that do it for me, an ignoramus when it comes to Content. Hence, I don't understand all the 20s given to BD's guards over the last 7 years. I don't question judges' knowledge; I just don't get it. Too subtle and run-aroundy for me.)

Exactly. Rewatch the 1996 Cadets' guard during "Tulsa." The corps stops to play those 16th note runs while the guard furiously spins gigantic yellow silks on 7-ft poles. The athleticism is amazing---not to mention switching direction on a dime. (And great TV direction!) And after the drum feature of "Red Pony," they emerge from behind the props spinning the flags while jumping and flipping a 360, and the line is perfect. It's no wonder that's my standard for DCI color guards!

(It's flashy stuff like that---and nearly ALL of Cadets' 1994/5 guards---that do it for me, an ignoramus when it comes to Content. Hence, I don't understand all the 20s given to BD's guards over the last 7 years. I don't question judges' knowledge; I just don't get it. Too subtle and run-aroundy for me.)

Agreed. BD guard is talented but sometimes I scratch my head the way judges through 20s at them. Not my cup of tea. Crown has actually become my favorite guard in the past few years and a special mention to Cadets 2014.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think we should resurrect this thread and show the guards out there a little love. There are way too many amazing guards this year to not talk about them. Personally, I want to see Crown win high guard this year. I won't say they're my favourite guard this season, but I think they have the perfect mix of demand and variety. Yesterday, that opening flag feature was so clean it sparkled.

I'm a little disappointed (though not surprised) to see BD scoring above Crown and Cadets in content. I think this is one the easiest guard books they've fielded since 2009. Honestly, I think their flag book might be the easiest in the top 10 or so. Granted, they perform it ***Flawlessly, and their movement is the best in the activity, and they're being justly rewarded for both, but I hope that as other guards clean up they'll begin to get the recognition they deserve.

I haven't seen SCV or Bloo enough to comment, but I hope they're both in the fight come finals. As a whole, I think this is an excellent season for guards!

BD always has one of the easiest guard books but the caption isn't about demand or how much you do. It's about variety, range and staging, and like it or not, BD beats everyone because they do a wider range of things (even if they only do them

once) than other groups do and are staged in such an interesting way.

If there was an award for most content- Cadets would win. If there was an award for most sequential weapon tosses- Crown would win but that's not how the caption is written or judged. .

Edited by DCI-86

Crown's guard is fu#&ing good this year in my opinion. They are great every year, but this year reminds me a lot of 2007. You put those individuals up next to BD or Cadet individuals, I just don't think BD or Cadet kids could compete.

BD is entertaining as always. Clean. But too easy. They are great at hiding things by covering themselves in a "glitter". Like tawdry jewelry. Shiny and beautiful but cheap and fake. I don't think they're going to get away with it this year.

Cadets are good. I'm just not seeing the genius in musicality when it comes to the choreography. They are spinning to spin at times. The drill isn't challenging enough on the guard's end either to me.

Still waiting to see SCV. I think they'll be beautiful.

Phantom is underrated to me. I think the scores of the corps is carrying down the guard score. They're good and they're beautifully strong.

I hope this is the year that ends that BD streak. It needs to be. I hope it's Crown to do it. They've been on BDs tail for many years now.

• Like 1

Crown's guard is fu#&ing good this year in my opinion. They are great every year, but this year reminds me a lot of 2007. You put those individuals up next to BD or Cadet individuals, I just don't think BD or Cadet kids could compete.

BD is entertaining as always. Clean. But too easy. They are great at hiding things by covering themselves in a "glitter". Like tawdry jewelry. Shiny and beautiful but cheap and fake. I don't think they're going to get away with it this year.

Cadets are good. I'm just not seeing the genius in musicality when it comes to the choreography. They are spinning to spin at times. The drill isn't challenging enough on the guard's end either to me.

Still waiting to see SCV. I think they'll be beautiful.

Phantom is underrated to me. I think the scores of the corps is carrying down the guard score. They're good and they're beautifully strong.

I hope this is the year that ends that BD streak. It needs to be. I hope it's Crown to do it. They've been on BDs tail for many years now.

Agree, agree, disagree.

Crown should win guard, they're amazing.

BD is excellent but Crown is better.

Cadets I feel had very good work and are less of a feature and more of a backdrop to that drill. I was in Clifton last night and watched Crowns guard the entire time they were on but found I watched Cadets marching and movement more.. Not sure what that means.

Edited by Tobias

1. totally agree on Crown's guard - they are amazing. I do agree with the comments that their work seems a little "repetitive" - but an extremely impressive guard IMO

2. haven't gotten to see BD live yet this year, will soon!

3. Cadets guard very strong this year - and improving extremely quickly. I got to see them in a sectional visual rehearsal (last week) and the interesting aspect was how much of the program they were skipping or outright saying "we know this section is being restaged next week" or "before you get your new work" -- so it was obvious they will be restaged etc dramatically in this practice week starting today

In the end I think the trophy will likely come down to Crown & BD -

George.