Color Guard 2015

From what I've sen so far this year

Crown - could take best guard this year. They are so strong, the work is extremely complex, the theme is evident and the demand placed on each member is high. Weapon work is spectacular as always, and I wasn't sure about the red capes at the beginning, but they're growing on me. Strong, strong guard all around.

Blue Devils - they can spin and move like no one else. My one criticism is always the same. They tend to have more free form and restaging than anyone else out there. They basically run from one spot to the next without spinning and then set up a new form and spin in place. They do seem to have more transition work this year - but I still feel that they don't have the overall demand that Crown does due to drill responsibilities and spinning on the move

Vanguard - they have become a powerhouse in the last couple of years (both winter and summer). They are trying some very interesting things out there this year and are definitely one of the guards to watch. The flag line is a joy to watch - even early season !!! Some great, modern, fresh writing and some stellar performance from them this year.

Boston Crusaders - their strength this year is in guard - a very strong weapon line is showcased throughout and they sell the production very well.

Cadets - It's hard to accurately describe them again this year. They spin well, they're well trained and all - but I feel that the show is a throwback - and this has more to do with the writing They look like a guard from the '90's - they don't look fresh or modern (like they did back in the day oddly enough). The hoops and poiles just don't add anything (and if you're going to bring out hoops after what Blue Devils did with them - you need to do something more spectacular with them)

Later,

Mike

Edited by Guardguy89
  • Like 1

Boston Crusaders - their strength this year is in guard - a very strong weapon line is showcased throughout and they sell the production very well.

First time watching the show from the front.

The book is great. But I kept losing the "performer" on the field and just saw equipment going around. Those silver/gold uni's are just too dark imo. Too bad 'cause there's because there's some pretty good spinning and dancing going on in the show.

To my totally untrained guard eye, I'm really enjoying Bluecoats guard. Loving the first two sets of silks (gonna assume the plain yellow ones in the closer aren't permanent). They seem super high energy in their performance and work, lots of exciting tosses and work throughout. They seem A LOT cleaner this year as well at this point. Might be completely off, but they look really solid to me, certainly one of my favorites to watch this year.

What I find fascinating is that DCI has allowed perfect scores???????? Really! It is also interesting to look at the relationships of the adjudicators and the instructional staff and the trends of who is rewarded and who is not! That I think is the bigger issue. Please do you homework before you blast me!

What I find fascinating is that DCI has allowed perfect scores???????? Really! It is also interesting to look at the relationships of the adjudicators and the instructional staff and the trends of who is rewarded and who is not! That I think is the bigger issue. Please do you homework before you blast me!

they arent perfect scores. They are just the top number which does not have to mean perfect. There's just so many numbers to work with. Just means the best of the night.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

I have been saying this for years.

How can a judge work on the same high school faculty with the designer/instructor 9 months of the year and be absolutely sterling objective the other 10 weeks of the drum corps season?

Ain't going to happen.

We're dealing with humans, not robots.

• Like 1

I have been saying this for years.

How can a judge work on the same high school faculty with the designer/instructor 9 months of the year and be absolutely sterling objective the other 10 weeks of the drum corps season?

Ain't going to happen.

We're dealing with humans, not robots.

It is what it is and the activity is very small 1/2 the designers are also judges in one form or another. In WGI there has been designers/judges all the time. Personally I think if you judge you shouldnt teach. Unless its like band verses drum corps season but to totally exclude relationships in all areas might be impossible.

I always said the activity is very inbred..lol

Edited by GUARDLING

And let's be honest. I think that judges mostly get it spot on when it comes to guard. The top 5 might not be the exact order I'd have them in - but they're always definitely close. It's not a perfect system - but I think overall it works (and is way better than when I marched and guard wasn't even counted in total score !)

On a side note - I find it funny that only in the guard topic do people rip on guards and admit having "absolutely no knowledge" of anything guard related - kinda like me saying Blue Devils have a horrible horn line - when I know nothing about horn playing - it's just funny I guess :tounge2:

Later,

Mike

• Like 1

And let's be honest. I think that judges mostly get it spot on when it comes to guard. The top 5 might not be the exact order I'd have them in - but they're always definitely close. It's not a perfect system - but I think overall it works (and is way better than when I marched and guard wasn't even counted in total score !)

On a side note - I find it funny that only in the guard topic do people rip on guards and admit having "absolutely no knowledge" of anything guard related - kinda like me saying Blue Devils have a horrible horn line - when I know nothing about horn playing - it's just funny I guess :tounge2:

Later,

Mike

to add to it...lol..there arent any perfect scores ( even if given ) in any caption...lol..To go one step further , do we really believe any corps is a 99+ or that 10th place and up are all in the 90s.It's only numbers its more about spreads and even at that with so little points when you get far into the season 2 tenths is more like 2 points in sub captions.

dont get me wrong , we all get hung up and want those numbers especially as they relate to boxes but once within a box a tenth , especially guard with so few points , is huge. Again a perfect score does not mean a perfect product.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1