Color Guard 2015

Unlike BITD when world class corps and world class guards were local based, locally sponsored, and almost always comprised of local participants, that has not been the case for several decades of DCI and WGI. Those organizations which sponsor winter and summer programs are more often dealing with different clientele each season of the year. Blue Knights are a perfect example as are Cadets, Bluecoats, and Pioneer.

While Jeff Fiedler, CEO of SCV, does publicly make mention of more members of his winter ensemble being members also of his summer corps in 2014-15, both the staff and membership of the winter and summer organizations are not the same. From my own personal experience far earlier than Dayton in the season I shared an East Coast airport waiting area with several members of SCV's winter guard of recent seasons who flew in to Calif for practices and shows from colleges on the East Coast!

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=5dc9406a-a08f-4bc3-8959-928bdde532bf, http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=7c0a2e2b-8667-44b5-a09a-f2def88dfd15

Though BD is notorious that when one joins the organization one moves into California, frequently simultaneously enrolls in RCC, and spends the off season along the Pacific. That is not true with most of the other World Class corps today and often not in World Class non-scholastic guards and percussion ensembles.

Any correlation between the two organizations of winter units and summer corps seems more coincidental for most. Then again the Left Coast had has that name for many seasons for many reasons; this may be another.

and in addition to this world class guardsin WGI do not have any age restrictions

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

and in addition to this world class guardsin WGI do not have any age restrictions

Cheaters😱

I don't know much about guard. I am impressed when all their flags are moving together, their rifles are catching together with that "snap" sound. I'm not really a fan of the sabres (sp) or the dancers, but I do see how they contribute to the shows. To answer the question, I am not really sure. Understand that Cadets have a pretty big veteran line this year so I would put them as the ones to possibly beat BD, but I haven't heard much about any of the other corps so you can take my answer with a grain of salt.

BITD no one could come close to rifle lines like 27 or Anaheim.

Do they even teach 'Manual of Arms' anymore?

I have no idea what any of that is. What I do know is I like what guards do today. I respect what they did in the past and what they do today. I can tell you that if I tossed a rifle in the air, I would run before it came down because I'd be afraid it would hit me in the head.

• Like 1

Nope. Fundamentals are far more skill-oriented than they were back in the day, and are taught, learned, and applied in such a way that today's weapon lines are able to attempt and achieve work several orders of magnitude beyond what was done back then. The weapon lines of today, were you to teach them the Manual of Arms, would learn, clean and master everything in it in an afternoon.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 3

Nope. Fundamentals are far more skill-oriented than they were back in the day, and are taught, learned, and applied in such a way that today's weapon lines are able to attempt and achieve work several orders of magnitude beyond what was done back then. The weapon lines of today, were you to teach them the Manual of Arms, would learn, clean and master everything in it in an afternoon.

Agreed. I'm not a guard person, but from what I've observed, the guards of today are doing things at a much "deeper" level than lines BITD. Now, guards have to have a broader skillset and be able to apply a general set of skills to a large number of different techniques.

In many ways the comparison of BITD guards with today's guards is a case of apples and oranges.

Different skills were emphasized and maximized, different parameters were used to measure.

For instance in earlier days, every finger of each person was exactly held in the same spot for catches, releases, etc. Today simultaneous movement does not mean matching body types exactly, although the better guards do move in that direction.

BITD, the military posturing was emphatic; today the movement and mood of the music calls for different body rhythms and performance skills.

Yes, BITD, some of the work done would seem rather boring by today's standards. But today there are many different types of instructional aids to prosper the learning, critiquing, and improving of the work. A simple thing as a video of performers did not exist save for exceptional occasions like nationals, not day to day practice hours.

What we have today could not have been without the foundation of the past.

To say one is better than the other is a rhetorical argument that has no purpose or end.

• Like 1