Woodwind Learning Cymbals?

Hello!

I wanna try marching Crossmen (Live in San Antonio) one day but I play Saxophone. I know learning Cymbals may be a strange choice but just bear with me :).

Does anyone have any experience as to how hard it is to get into a Cymbal line, any tips as to learning cymbals, and are there any key things that I should focus on.

I apologize for the most likely tedious question >.<

But Cheers!

Xas~

If you can connect with JDFunCorps on FaceBook, he might have some tips. He's a cymbal player extraordinaire who marched with Spirit and Atlanta Quest Indoor Percussion.

Good luck!

1. start working out. it is an intense act of will to hold those things chest-high for as long as you're going to need to do so. forearms o's steel.

2. all about the hand/foot timing. practice clapping triplets while marching in place.

cymbals are cool, but can be incredibly taxing at a high level.

best of luck.

• Like 3

If you can connect with JDFunCorps on FaceBook, he might have some tips. He's a cymbal player extraordinaire who marched with Spirit and Atlanta Quest Indoor Percussion.

Good luck!

He also played the sax in high school band. His real name is David. If you messaged him on facebook or tumblr, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to help you. He's one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

• Like 2

He also played the sax in high school band. His real name is David. If you messaged him on facebook or tumblr, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to help you. He's one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

Since my daughter performed in both Spirit and Quest, I've known David for a while. Your assessment of him is spot on.

1. start working out. it is an intense act of will to hold those things chest-high for as long as you're going to need to do so. forearms o's steel.

2. all about the hand/foot timing. practice clapping triplets while marching in place.

cymbals are cool, but can be incredibly taxing at a high level.

best of luck.

BITD there was a video of Cadets cymbal line showing technique, etc.

but 31rabbit is correct. Get in the best shape of your life.

Go start right now!