Blue Devils 2015 - "Ink"

When I first saw the program announcement I thought the show was about tattoos. Now I think it's about fairy tales... but... I dunno. Who cares! This corps is on freakin' fire.

• Like 1

Personally I don't get what this show says about Ink. I thought it might be similar to United Percussion's 2015 Program art of it all. But then again the video I saw of it was not at a good angle. I get that it is about fairly tales, but where is the concept of writing come in?

Personally I don't get what this show says about Ink. I thought it might be similar to United Percussion's 2015 Program art of it all. But then again the video I saw of it was not at a good angle. I get that it is about fairly tales, but where is the concept of writing come in?

Characters come out of the imagination via the written (or drawn) page. That's where the ink idea comes from.

The ink on the pages has come to life; the characters emerge from the books and interact with the corps (often in chaotic ways). Like all good literature (from our childhood on) the interaction stirs the corps imagination and creativity, resulting in their writing (see guard writing on the field with giant pens during closer) yet more literature for future reader, thus the cycle of creativity continues. ????

At least that is my take on what I have seen. I have no idea if my impressions are what BD is hoping to get across to me, and with so many of the props (including what I believe will eventually be books and giant pens) unfinished, its still a lot of guesswork on my part, but it seems like a reasonable interpretation to me. :smile:

The ink on the pages has come to life; the characters emerge from the books and interact with the corps (often in chaotic ways). Like all good literature (from our childhood on) the interaction stirs the corps imagination and creativity, resulting in their writing (see guard writing on the field with giant pens during closer) yet more literature for future reader, thus the cycle of creativity continues. ????

At least that is my take on what I have seen. I have no idea if my impressions are what BD is hoping to get across to me, and with so many of the props (including what I believe will eventually be books and giant pens) unfinished, its still a lot of guesswork on my part, but it seems like a reasonable interpretation to me. :smile:

During the broadcast on Saturday night I was surprised that the "sticks" didn't look like quills or something to get the idea across. I'm sure that will be fixed quickly.

I think that the music alone is enjoyable enough with no theme though, much like last year.

During the broadcast on Saturday night I was surprised that the "sticks" didn't look like quills or something to get the idea across. I'm sure that will be fixed quickly.

I think that the music alone is enjoyable enough with no theme though, much like last year.

I couldn't agree more. The musical scores (and not just BD's) this year are very enjoyable. I especially like some of the ballads being put forth, and "Children Will Listen" is probably my favorite.

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more. The musical scores (and not just BD's) this year are very enjoyable. I especially like some of the ballads being put forth, and "Children Will Listen" is probably my favorite.

I think that's the case with pretty much every show I've seen (granted, on video) this year. I have yet to listen to one "dud" this year so far.

So far the only music I have not enjoyed was Blue Stars. Madison this year is not my style but I still like it.

Crown's is especially good compared to last years, any show with Verdi's Requiem is great in my book.

Imma be honest, Bluecoats haven't really been hitting me as enjoyable to listen to the last few years. i've never just sat and listened to a Bluecoat show since unMasqued, and even last year only really the Hymn of Axciom really struck me as worth listening to.

Blue Devils this year however, have a very enjoyable lineup. I've always enjoyed their music, and this year is no exception.

Warming up to this show more and more. Some random, useless thoughts...

Snares on the ladders is cool.

Rifles get tossed up and down the ladders is cooler.

Music demand is off the charts.

Seems they've stopped putting the soprano screamers in front of mics. Good move.

Kpop section has potential. I think they need to cut back on the narration there and utilize the percussion section more to set the groove. The crowd isn't sure what that section is supposed to be. Need to make it clear it's supposed to be a break-down and they'll respond.

Ballad. Wow.

Anyone else think the very end of the closer has a very Cadets feel to it?

Edited by mboogey73