Changes in Lucas Oil Stadium seating for 2015 drum corps contests.

I would like to know how the theater broadcasts are in any way impaired by upper level spectators, while webcasts are not.

You make an interesting point.

Upon further review of the policy change, I am beginning to think that the staffing costs of using such a small section of the stadium is probably what is motivating the change.

The further editing of what is seen on the screen, monitor, etc. duping the viewer to believe that the house is packed may be to use the feeds to show to potential sponsors and other big bucks folks, educational groups, etc.

Perhaps more will learned from authentic sources rather than just opinions.

• Like 1

Closing the upper sections makes sense. For the MAC basketball tournament, the upper section Quicken Loans Arena is curtained off. It actually makes the place feel and look better. I'm sure there's also an operational cost advantage of not having to have the those sections opened.

• Like 1

From what I can view on Ticketmaster, Opening Night tickets are only being sold for the 100 and 200 street levels.

So maybe the 300, 400, 500, and 600 sections will all be closed.

I'm all for this.

Move the audience near the performers.

Last year's opener at Ben Davis HS in Indy was delayed by rain. There will easily be more seats in the 100/200 Lucas stands than at the Giants home field on Indy's west side.

I will check out this year's opener at Chicago's AMC River East at 7:30 PM CST.

Meanwhile, for the foodies:

The new Yard House restaurant on Maryland Street in Indy has over 100 beers. But lousy food.

I'm sticking to the excellent food at Shapiro's nearly kosher deli a few blocks south of Lucas.

I would like to know how the theater broadcasts are in any way impaired by upper level spectators, while webcasts are not.

A recent study showed that theater popcorn tastes better when some seats at a given "movie theater event" venue are not used.

• Like 1

Is DCI in such desperate straights that they have are being driven to "dupe" the video viewer into a false sense of actual, on-site, show attendance? I shudder at the possibility...both in terms of actual practice, as well as even being considered.

Edited by HornTeacher

Is DCI in such desperate straights that they have are being driven to "dupe" the video viewer into a false sense of actual, on-site, show attendance? I shudder at the possibility...both in terms of actual practice, as well as even being considered.

I would honestly doubt that its really that much of an attempt at deception as it is cost savings. Seriously, the cost savings of having the upper level closed for prelims could be quite considerable. Having to pay at least a dozen employees in the concessions stands for a 15+ hour period, as well as the security people, and additional facilities people. I'd guesstimate that its probably at least 30-40 15+ hour shifts saved. That adds up to quite a savings. Labor is expensive.

• Like 2

I don't think DCI is trying to dupe anyone.

you aren't going to get 20,000 fans for the season opener. people aren't going to travel there for that like they will for finals. so, close upper sections and keep stadium costs down. it's not duping anyone, it's smart business sense

• Like 2

I would honestly doubt that its really that much of an attempt at deception as it is cost savings. Seriously, the cost savings of having the upper level closed for prelims could be quite considerable. Having to pay at least a dozen employees in the concessions stands for a 15+ hour period, as well as the security people, and additional facilities people. I'd guesstimate that its probably at least 30-40 15+ hour shifts saved. That adds up to quite a savings. Labor is expensive.

At least on the 600 deck, many of the concessions at previous championships were staffed by various local non-profits, charities, and band boosters.

I think that is an illogical assumption to make. While DCI states in their press release

...assist with stadium logistics and the movie theater broadcast...

I think jumping to the conclusion that DCI is closing sections in order to fool viewers is kind of goofy. I would guess that the reasonings beyond logistics/costs = a bunch of technical stuff that most of us woudn't necessarily get if they explained it anyway. There is a TON of logistics needed for live broadcasts, and if this makes everyone's lives easier AND people generally don't fill those sections anyway, might as well save the trouble & money and close 'em down.

• Like 1