Fan Network 2015

The real question is, did anyone take the chance to test a way to record the live streams last night? I had a few methods that I was ready to test but I got busy with some work and couldn't watch the stream at all/test the recording methods.

Yep. The method I tried worked like a charm.

Any guess on if a step by step tutorial to download live streams would be taken down? My guess is that it would. It's just an internet search away. VLC is an amazing piece of open source software.

Great question. Recording a live stream for personal use is perfectly legal. It may be against the DCI Live! terms of service (I honestly haven't looked), but it's not illegal until you distribute the saved files. In theory, anyone could post a How To article in the DCP tech forums and the mods would have no reason to remove it.

You call that "upfront"? Unflinching, maybe. But why is it that whenever the questions get specific, the answers get more vague?

IMO, he was more honest than the FAQ, and gave more info than the FAQ. I also realize legally, some vagueness may be required.

As soon as he started into some of the reasoning I thought "Why couldn't they have done something like a Podcast weeks ago to explain some of this stuff?"

agreed 100%.

Maybe they held out hope it could be resolved. Who knows. Then again, when I see all the Under Armour stuff kids are wearing and I see no marketing agreement with them, who knows?

No matter what he said, or when he said it, the man and his message would have been ripped apart. We are a passionate, competitive bunch.

if we had been told this say 3 weeks ago would there have ben outcry?

yes.

Would it be so heated? I don't think so. as a business, the key to delivering bad news is to be Proactive, not Reactive. There were complaints on here before the FAQ was even up on the DCI site.

It’s not really the fan networks, it’s live…fan network is still to come, right?

So no music downloads until after finals and none of the old shows?

I believe that's the plan...archives of the streams/summer shows in September, and a reintroduction of the archives as part of a revamped Fan Network this fall.

The questions in my mind are about previous versions of archived content. Did all the APD's and FN video I have purchased in the past 10+ years violate copywrite laws? Why are free snippets (with the afformentioned buffering issues) of 2014 shows ok?

Regardless, just a couple short years ago a live Finals broadcast was a very hot topic, and to get all of finals week, live regionals and more for under 100 is a pretty decent bargain, regardless of DVR and archive capability. The availability of high quality broadcasts on mobile devices also has value to many i would guess. Hopefully the sound quality will match the video quality i got last night. Nothing beats seeing drum corps REALLY live and in person anyway!