Fan Network 2015

As soon as he started into some of the reasoning I thought "Why couldn't they have done something like a Podcast weeks ago to explain some of this stuff?"

The squeaky wheel gets the grease...

As soon as he started into some of the reasoning I thought "Why couldn't they have done something like a Podcast weeks ago to explain some of this stuff?"

No matter what he said, or when he said it, the man and his message would have been ripped apart. We are a passionate, competitive bunch.

No matter what he said, or when he said it, the man and his message would have been ripped apart. We are a passionate, competitive bunch.

There will always be detractors no matter what anyone posts in social media.

Edited by Lincoln

I have been a Fan Network subscriber for years and always loved watching the events throughout the summer live or afterwards. It doesn't sound like this will be available anymore (after the events) so I can't justify spending the money for it when I'm attending a few of them in person and can't guarantee I would even be available to watch all the others "live".

the website may be a step forward, but DCI Live is many steps back from previous offerings IMO and I bet they are going to lose subscribers

Edited by dcibrando
  • Like 3

So after keeping my browser open and the stream paused from last night, I can still rewind and watch any part of the broadcast, just FYI...will be curious to see how long it holds out.

So after keeping my browser open and the stream paused from last night, I can still rewind and watch any part of the broadcast, just FYI...will be curious to see how long it holds out.

Can I connect to your computer and watch using teamviewer?...lol...I kid even though that would work...lol

No... it is just your opinion and speculation ( not " a fact " at all ) that lawyers could shut down DCI for good if they wanted to. The notion that DCI could not legally prevail with adequate legal respresentaion is not something I share ( nor others ) at all. And don't take my word for it. Take the word of a DCP poster who is actually an attorney by profession, and posted as such on this very thread above. ( jaspre2000, poster )

Are you an attorney by profession, 2 muchcoffeee ? We have had posters on here asking us if we are "an Attorney". So are you an attorney ? Just askin' mind you, as you do seem to speak with unambiguous legal authority on what the " facts " are on this issue. So... some of us would like to know... are you an Attorney by profession, 2muchcoffee ?

No, I'm not a lawyer. I was too smart to let myself be dragged into law school. I was not aware, however, that not holding a JD disqualified me from knowing anything about how the real world, including its encounters with the law, works. You don't need to be a member of the bar to know when the law is not on your side.

There are many other things that I am not -- doctor, mechanic, painter, musician, to name but just a few -- about which I may, on occasion, speak with equal "unambiguous authority." I can say with authority, for example, that smoking will wreck my health, though I have not the slightest medical credential.

So let's be real, shall we? Let's understand that the music industry's lawyers are bigger than our lawyers, and let's pay heed to the words of the administrtors of our beloved activity -- the corps directors, the DCI board members, and Dan Acheson himself (on last night's webcast) -- when they say, after consulting with their own attorneys on the question, that DCI has no alternative but to come to the table to work out a deal. I'm no lawyer (as you know), but I know DCI, even with "adequate legal representation," is not going to win the day by inventing some brilliant anti-copyright argument that will blow the doors off the other team's stunned and thoroughly outmaneuvered lawyers, and bring judge and jury to their feet in awestruck applause.

Let's also be heartened by Acheson's remark last night that he anticipates wrapping up a new deal by September or so. Of all the "reasonable" potential outcomes bandied about in this tread, this seems the most reasonable. Sadly, it also will be more expensive for us, and less profitable for DCI, but that's the way these things work. A deal comes with a price. But then, I'm not a lawyer; what do I know?

I'm not sure about the forty-plus years. It seems to have been prompted by internet streaming (since it's still possible to purchase videos either as physical media or downloads), and that's something that wasn't available even twenty years ago.

Yes, agree that streaming is a new force of nature that has, at last, forced a reckoning with century-old copyright laws. Once the lawyers came running to the alarm, they discovered patterns of unwelcome behavior (in DCI and elsewhere) that stretch back earlier than the streaming era. This is why we saw the Fan Network remove a lot of corps' shows that predate the streaming era. The lawyers, alerted by streaming, came knocking on DCI's door and asked "what else you got in those computers?" and that was that.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 2

The real question is, did anyone take the chance to test a way to record the live streams last night? I had a few methods that I was ready to test but I got busy with some work and couldn't watch the stream at all/test the recording methods.