Introducing People to DCI (World Class, specifically)

Glad you have Creep in there.

I catch all kinds of flack from drum corps friends when I say that was the best single minute of modern drum corps I've ever seen. In retrospect I see that it could been cleaner but when I saw and heard that segment I was completely entranced. It. Was. Amazing. And I still stand by the statement (until something better comes along).

(too bad the rest of the show didn't live up to that quality of design).

Yeah, if I'm gonna be honest here, I completely agree (with the possible exception of the Blue Knights 2014 opener, I love that to pieces). I could watch that video every day, and never get tired of it. (And you didn't post a video you nugget haha)

Here's a playlist of my favorites, in what I think is a pretty good order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEIzyOcZJ6w&index=1&list=PLUcoVS26xIRVD1eS7L54ULnDmrehfJPTW

Edited by noahsigs

Also, does anyone have any good quality videos of the Blue Knights 2014 opener? I feel like that'd do a really good job at communicating the emotion the drum corps can convey, but I can only find some rehearsal videos where the audio quality goes kinda blotty.

Edited by noahsigs

I've noticed different kinds of people respond very differently to drum corps videos or shows. People who play brass or percussion instruments - and dancers - can see how difficult it is, and that is a a big part of what makes it impressive. This may be true whether they are kids or not, as long as they haven't forgotten how much time and effort it takes to play well.

Others tend not to get it, or to be impressed in a very polite way. They have no idea how impressive it is, so to them it looks like just an emo marching band concept.

So if these kids are actually players/dancers, you'll have more luck. Any of these videos should help.

Also mention certain key points:

- They train all day, every day, all summer long up through finals, and compete in 20+ contests around the country. They travel at night so as not to lose practice time. They may be the hardest working kids in performing arts education. This is the primary value of the activity - "Max out the student"

- Top corps often hold auditions in several cities around the country and attract upwards of a thousand kids to try out. These all-day or all-weekend audition camps are valuable training experiences in themselves. (By this time of year, however, you have to look for fill-in opportunities at various corps websites. Some Open Class corps may take you if you have a pulse...)

- Since the kids don't sleep at home, they often try out for the best corps they can get into as long as they can get to the corps site after the last day of school in May or June. They generally have spring weekend camps as well, but you may not need to get to these if you are too far away. I don't know how they handle that.

- Kids often start with a corps lower in the placement order, then move up to a higher placing corps after one or two years, and so on. Most kids in the top corps came from lower corps.

Here's a really good video if nobody has mentioned it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fsVrYxxjoY

Good luck!

• Like 2

I've noticed different kinds of people respond very differently to drum corps videos or shows. People who play brass or percussion instruments - and dancers - can see how difficult it is, and that is a a big part of what makes it impressive. This may be true whether they are kids or not, as long as they haven't forgotten how much time and effort it takes to play well.

Others tend not to get it, or to be impressed in a very polite way. They have no idea how impressive it is, so to them it looks like just an emo marching band concept.

So if these kids are actually players/dancers, you'll have more luck. Any of these videos should help.

Also mention certain key points:

- They train all day, every day, all summer long up through finals, and compete in 20+ contests around the country. They travel at night so as not to lose practice time. They may be the hardest working kids in performing arts education. This is the primary value of the activity - "Max out the student"

- Top corps often hold auditions in several cities around the country and attract upwards of a thousand kids to try out. These all-day or all-weekend audition camps are valuable training experiences in themselves. (By this time of year, however, you have to look for fill-in opportunities at various corps websites. Some Open Class corps may take you if you have a pulse...)

- Since the kids don't sleep at home, they often try out for the best corps they can get into as long as they can get to the corps site after the last day of school in May or June. They generally have spring weekend camps as well, but you may not need to get to these if you are too far away. I don't know how they handle that.

- Kids often start with a corps lower in the placement order, then move up to a higher placing corps after one or two years, and so on. Most kids in the top corps came from lower corps.

Here's a really good video if nobody has mentioned it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fsVrYxxjoY

Good luck!

Those are some really good points, I'll bring those up for sure! And the video wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but nevertheless I love it! I'll probably just say what the video said in person though, about how a lot of professional musicians started out in a drum corps. And I'm gonna keep bumping this thread, I KNOW YOU HAVE A VIDEO YOU WANT TO SHARE. I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE A GUEST YOU GO MAKE AN ACCOUNT, CONTRIBUTE TO THIS THREAD AND HELP CONVINCE PEOPLE TO GIVE MONEY TO DRUM CORPS INTERNATIONAL AND GROW THE ART.

YOU CAN DO IT

Edited by noahsigs

Well said...

My 'go to' corps for first-timers is SCV. I ask would they rather watch Les Mis or Scheherezade or Phantom or....? The music is well-known and so well performed by the corps. The visual concepts are easy to grasp. Great color guard. Great spectacle and so well executed. THEN we get more into the nitty gritty.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

I'm a BIG BK fan, so if I were introducing someone to drum corps, I'd show them these clips:

2013 NoBeginningNoEnd opener

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0aZSL7rJ88

2014 That One Second closer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXyB2NDGBJ0

That 2014 BK closer, video shot from the stands, really emphasizes how the poor acoustics of Lucas Oil muddy up so much detail for the live crowd (and I would think for the judges in the press box). When I view that show, a personal favorite, on Blu-ray, the full beauty and clarity of BK's execution of the Bocook arrangements are much more impressive.

If they're a musician, show 'em something technically impressive.

if they're not a musician, show 'em music they're familiar with: either your stand-by SCV '89 for people into theater, some Devils or 90's Scouts if they dig jazz.

I find the latter is good at displaying the potential the medium has to expand/vary music.

then you throw them into your visually impressive stuff: early 00's cavaliers, early 90's Cadets (that airplane!)

then, if they're still with you, move into your theme-heavy shows... recent Cadets, Devils, Crown.

if i think i'm only going to get 1 shot to win somebody, I default to Scouts 99. It's fun, loud, visually cool, has a rocking drum feature.
if I'm only going to show somebody 1 song to wow, can't go wrong with Cadets 2000 closer, Cavaliers Diamond Cutter, or Devils 92 closer.

The age of the person being introduced is important in choosing videos to expose a new person to drum corps. With adults, showing what was done when the person would have been marching and fast forwarding to today is useful. What happened back in the day does not look so old fashioned to someone who would appreciate it and then, and when they see what happens in many corps today, there is an amazement and appreciation. So if I wanted to introduce someone my age to drum corps (I'm 52), I'd probably start with 1979 or 80 and choose the most popular shows then show something from last year, perhaps Crown or Bluecoats.

With younger people, Crown is an excellent choice, especially "Rach Star" from 2011 or e=MC2 from 2013. Since at least 2009, I've noticed younger fans drool over Crown. Yes more seasoned fans do too, but Crown never fails to impress. Bluecoats are an excellent choice as well. Ifyou do go back earlier, I'd choose those shows with a timeless appeal. If the audience is young, avoid shows that scream 1970's, 80's, 90's, or now early 2000's. I am not talking musically or marching/color guard wise. I'm speaking about hair styles and in some cases uniform choice. Clean cut corps of the 70's such as 27th, North Star, or Garfield would have broader appeal than the corps with shoulder length hair and facial hair. Star's Circus show has timeless appeal, the Star Wars show may be too 80's. I say this not to knock the quality of the shows, but younger people tend to pick up on hairstyles, etc. I know this from experience.

If you think a person is hooked, regardless of age, show everything of quality. Bass enthusiasts will always love Blue Devils and "Channel One Suite." PR's Rockford File and 27th's guard, Spirit's "Georgia in my Mind" or "Let it Be Me" seem to never grow old. BAC's "Red" ill always be an excellent choice and when it comes to recent years, just about any show of any corps of 2011-2014 works.