Introducing People to DCI (World Class, specifically)

So, you would introduce someone to DCI and show them no video of corps shows pre 2008? Seems pretty limiting to me and not a very good history of DCI.

So, you would introduce someone to DCI and show them no video of corps shows pre 2008? Seems pretty limiting to me and not a very good history of DCI.

Assuming the audience has no musical background and is relatively young, I would absolutely only show the shows 2008 and after.

• Like 3

I totally get what you are driving at. However, if the ultimate goal of showing someone DCI Drum Corps is to get them out to see a DCI Drum Corps show live in the future, then showing DCI Corps shows on video from of over 10 years ago isn't going to make much sense, as the Corps now don't perform those type shows anymore.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I've noticed different kinds of people respond very differently to drum corps videos or shows. People who play brass or percussion instruments - and dancers - can see how difficult it is, and that is a a big part of what makes it impressive. This may be true whether they are kids or not, as long as they haven't forgotten how much time and effort it takes to play well.

Others tend not to get it, or to be impressed in a very polite way. They have no idea how impressive it is, so to them it looks like just an emo marching band concept.

So if these kids are actually players/dancers, you'll have more luck. Any of these videos should help.

Good post - the highlighted sentence is very well stated and from my experience, the norm.

To the majority outside of the activity, the design, the effort, the discipline and the skill set required to pull it off are irrelevant. This is why the activity is not as popular as some think it should be. It will never be as popular as some think it should be.

Why do those OSU videos posted every fall get such attention on multiple web sites? They make dinosaurs and a moon-walking Michael Jackson on the field. Is anyone paying attention to the music? Not nearly as much as seeing a dinosaur walking across the field. Does anyone care that it takes a huge amount of dedication to pull off a show like that let alone perform multiple different shows like that during a fall season? No - it goes as far as drill routines that make figures they recognize and oh look "he's walking!." What corps drill set got as much attention as that? Unfortunately, it was Crown during a drill transition where the formation looked like a piece of anatomy and it appeared on a college-oriented website.

The appreciation for the activity only goes so far no matter how much any of us understand what it takes to make it happen.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 2

Why do those OSU videos posted every fall get such attention on multiple web sites? They make dinosaurs and a moon-walking Michael Jackson on the field. Is anyone paying attention to the music? Not nearly as much as seeing a dinosaur walking across the field.

While true, the music played is familiar to 90% of the non music major audience. The music played in DCI Drum Corps tends to be considerably less familiar to the general population than what the popular, typical, large college Marching Bands play. The target audience of a college Marching Band is much different than the target audience of show designers creating DCI Corps shows. Ergo, the music, shows, much different as well.

• Like 1

I think I perfected the playlist... tell me if there's anything that would fit in nicely.

http://ginger-earning-his-soul.tumblr.com/post/120381573875/introducing-dci-youtube

Starts out with Creep, demonstrating the emotion and musicality that goes into these performances. Cool drill effect with the triangle-thingy too.

Next is Carolina Crown 2012. This closer is just plain epic. You can't take your eyes off of it, and the drill especially impresses largely (though it is a little sloppy). Also sounds super heroic.

After that is the 2012 Crossmen. Emotional, performed well, and that screamer, Jesus Christ. He looks and sounds like he's about to start and end a war. Super badas$. Can't go wrong.

Then, Cavies 2010. I mean, seriously, who doesn't love this show? This is mainly meant to show off the guard, and how chaotic and nightmare-inducing DCI gets sometimes. The chanting and all male guard helps with this.

Up next is Cavies 2014. I thought it was nice to put them next to each other, to keep the mood. The brass here isn't fantastic, but this is obviously all about the pit. Most of the people watching so far have barely noticed them, and this will blow them out of the water.

After them is Santa Clara 2014. This introduces trombones, and shows how effective they can be at impact at creating a unique sound/how trombones have ruined drum corps forever/how George Hopkins is the child of the anti-Christ and Hitler. Ya know, whatever your opinion is. 2014 Carolina Crown is to show off good brass technique. Dem runs. And the trampolines will catch their attention for sure.

Carolina Crown 2011 is basically just enforcing how drum corps is hip and happening, and shows off the percussion well. And who doesn't know/love Bohemian Rhapsody?

2013 Spirit of Atlanta is a change for anyone watching, for sure. Shows how different corps have different styles and themes, and is generally just super fun.

Bluecoats 2013 is made specifically for anyone with stereo headphones. Again, show off the difficulty of the drill and how hard these corps work.

Then, there's the Tilt closer. I don't think I need to explain this one.

I close the playlist with the Coats singing Creep. If they've actually went through and watched this whole playlist, I thought they deserved this. This video is about the kids, and you can see why. (I originally put Blue Knights playing Can't Keep my Eyes Off of You, but I decided this was better.)

It's true, these are all very recent. And ya know why? the goal here is to get them to come to drum corps shows and enjoy them first, and THEN learn about it's past and it's culture. If I show someone SCV '88 (it's better than '89 and everyone knows it) and they fall in love with that specific corps and their style at that time, where do I go from there? And yes, I'm giving a link to my tumblr because YouTube is being terrible, and I took quote from one of y'all to help spread the gospel.

Edited by noahsigs
  • Like 2

' Sounds like a good list to me. Add in a DCI TOP 12 Highlights reel ( any year the last 3-4 years ) and you should be good to go. Good luck, and please provide us feedback as to how it went.

' Sounds like a good list to me. Add in a DCI TOP 12 Highlights reel ( any year the last 3-4 years ) and you should be good to go. Good luck, and please provide us feedback as to how it went.

I will! And I would show them that last, but I'll put it on there.

• Like 1