Your 2015 Drum Corps Itinerary

6/17 DCI in theater @Gatewat Gettysburg (I believe their first time showing DCI)

7/31-8/1 DCI East@Allentown

8/6 Big Loud and Live (not sure on theater yet. Usually have to travel an hour to find one that carries the event.)

DCI at the Cinema tomorrow 6/29 Allentown, PA @ J Birney Crum (Section H 7/31 Allentown, PA @ J Birney Crum (Section Q 8/1 Allentown, PA @ J Birney Crum (Section Q Possibly PPL Park on 7/30/15 8/6 Big, Loud, and Live 12 DCI Finals in Theaters

Edited by crossmen82

What should I expect tomorrow at DCI at the Cinema? Do you normally clap, is it loud, do they do commentary... How is it different and what are the pros and cons? (As part of my itinerary, of course. I wouldn't want to derail this incredibly interesting thread ;) )

How tough is a cheap hotel room to come by during Allentown weekend??

This can be problematic the longer you wait...also the hotels have figured out that this is a premium time to charge higher prices...last year I stayed a little bit north at a nice place in the Pocono's because there wasn't really anything that I could find inexpensive...I'm usually a Marriott brand person for hotels...I've also stayed at a place at A-town that was probably the worst place I've ever stayed as well...staff was rude...no towels...the list goes on and on for that one...I guess cheap/quality goes hand-in-hand...what do you consider cheap?...If you want to ask more that you don't feel appropriate on the public forum..just PM me...

edit: I'm referring to Aug show...I'm sure the earlier show will be easy.

Edited by Liahona

Probably not bad. I've never had a problem. But to be fair - I booked months ago.

Edited by cf144

Allentown regional is also the weekend of the MusicFest in Bethleham (just east of Allentown and where in fact most of the "Allentown" motels/hotels are.)

It is also the weekend of the large show of antique cars in McCungie, south side of Allentown next to Emmaus.

With Friends of DCI multi-millionaires taking all the free rooms with their loyalty points from all their travel the rest of the year, that leaves the hotels free to jack up the prices for the rest of us on this Triple fecta weekend. Some have been known to pup tent it or use mobile homes in the nearby parks, but the police have been less tolerant of that the past few years due to the Allentown safety hassles the rest of the year. (Their already exhausted supervising the lines to get in and out of Yacco's and the HamFam, ha, ha.)

We usually book in January. Depends on your definition of cheap, also. They cheapest we usually find is in the Fogelsville/Brenigsville (sp) area. It's about a 10-15 minute drive to the stadium from there, rooms are in January go for around $119-$150 a night. Also, there is a FANTASTIC dinner on Rt. 100, so that's another reason we book in that area.

What should I expect tomorrow at DCI at the Cinema? Do you normally clap, is it loud, do they do commentary... How is it different and what are the pros and cons? (As part of my itinerary, of course. I wouldn't want to derail this incredibly interesting thread ;) )

You will be probably be amongst a friendly group who are a focused audience, serious about they will be viewing.

Theaters where I have seen DCI shows always reminded folks to turn off cell phones or such or at least turn the ringer to vibrate only.

Applause has often occured during the shows, just like watching the corps live. The difference is that some may be sensitive to talking, even whispering or texting with bright lighted hand helds if it distracts from hearing or focusing on what's on the screen. Each audience and theater has its own culture.

Enjoy the show.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1