Breaking News: Glassmen Return to WGI, ask for donations.

This is from their Facebook page which i wasnt able to copy over earlier explaining the situation.

"The Glassmen Drum and Bugle Corps has been a fixture in the Toledo area for over fifty years. So it is with the heaviest of hearts that we, the Board of Directors, announce that we have filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy.

Our financial struggles have not been a secret. We made public in the fall of 2012 our dire situation, and although a number of generous souls rushed to our aid at a critical time, we were only able to gather sufficient funds to maintain basic operations. While we addressed several legal and financial challenges, wecontinued to persevere with the help of major fund raisers like the Celebrity Wait, the All Star Review, and the recent Golf Outing. All of the fundraisers made money, but only the All Star Review was a major success.

We cannot thank each and every veteran, volunteer, and supporter enough for the days, months, and even years so many of you invested in The Glassmen.

Our goal for this legal action is to clear the way so that new leadership may step forward, and once again bring the Experience of a Lifetime to drum corps."

"Quick clarification: This webpage is being maintained by THE GLASSMEN ALUMNI ASSOCIATION for historical purposes, current announcements, and upcoming news.

The Glassmen Jr. Drum & Bugle corps filed and finished THEIR dissolution in bankruptcy court this year. That corporation no longer exists. These are hard words, but reality.

The Glassmen Alumni Association incorporated as a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ENTITY and gained 501©(3) status to look to the future. In preparation of the dissolving corps. With that being said. The Glassmen Alumni Association has some exciting news coming up. Yes it is a new organization, but our passion for our 50+ year heritage is unstoppable. We miss our Glassmen and we know you do too!

Stay tuned because our proper name may be The Glassmen Alumni Association, but EVERYONE can be involved in our next big move!"

can't speak on the guard side but a group in their second year (first in wgi) got the silver in percussion independent a. Just a staff of recent ageouts

I doubt Gmen will be trying to start that low....and in the A class, you can have those groups...but it's getting fewer and farther between

I doubt Gmen will be trying to start that low....and in the A class, you can have those groups...but it's getting fewer and farther between

the question is location of practice. Michigan has had several guards fold so if they can get toledo or a little north and recruit Michigan they have a chance. If you followed wgi Ancora was a Detroit area based group that did well in IO but isn't fielding. Maybe a strong IO year will do the trick. By my name you can see with glass in my name I was affiliated with the corps and hope this is the beginning of a grand return.

Will they be able to be called the Glassmen? I recall a group wanting to use the name 27th Lancers, claiming they were using the image from Tennyson's poem, and I believe that it was blocked in court, and this was after the corps disbanded. Boston Crusaders also faced bankruptcy and legally they were called Boston and not Boston Crusaders.

I would love to see a return of Glassmen. They often managed to have interesting elements and the return of any corps is always good news.

Edited by Tim K

Will they be able to be called the Glassmen? I recall a group wanting to use the name 27th Lancers, claiming they were using the image from Tennyson's poem, and I believe that it was blocked in court, and this was after the corps disbanded. Boston Crusaders also faced bankruptcy and legally they were called Boston and not Boston Crusaders.

I would love to see a return of Glassmen. They often managed to have interesting elements and the return of any corps is always good news.

I may be wrong but 1) Glassmen Winterguard is different than Glassmen drum and bugle corps 2) the organization will be under Glassmen Alumni Association so the group can be called whatever.

Of course the new Glassmen organization should proceed with caution, as others have advised. But anything's possible. In DCA, the Brigadiers, founded in 1947 (which is actually pre-DCA), closed down after the 1973 season. They were reconstituted 19 years later and went on to win five championships between 1997 and 2002.

(That said, they went dark again after the 2009 season.)

Will they be able to be called the Glassmen?

If the name was trademarked, I suppose it could have become the property of one of their creditors (any bankruptcy attorneys here who can confirm?), but apparently that didn't happen.

The glassmen filed and finished their disolution in bankruptcy court this year. The glassmen alumni association is its own entity that filed and was granted 501c3.

I don't know that the bankruptcy is completely finished. The Fulton County Auditor still shows tha Glassmen as the owner of G-West, which tells me all assets have not been disposed of yet.

Purely semantics at this point. The old organization is dead and the Alumni Association is a completely separate organization.

However, I do wonder if all legal clearances have been made to actually use the corps name and trademarks. I seem to recall Velvet Knights had some legalities they had to deal with before they could use the name when they returned in open class several years ago. That was a similar situation where the previous organization left behind a ton of debt.