Battle of Bowling Green 6/28

Not sure I'd call singing in BAC "heavy emphasis"... she sings for about a minute and 30 seconds out of an 11 minute show....and beautifully, I might add.

Boston's ballad is stunning, both from the singer, the staging, and the way the brass and percussion are blended in. You need to see and hear it live to really get the effect. It's amazing. Boston WOKE UP last night, at least to my eyes.

• Like 3

I'd say he knows his stuff.

Well, since I am already not going to win the most popular poster award anytime soon, I'll just throw this out there-

Having marched in a top corps for _____ number of years does not make you a good judge.

Having taught a top corps for _______ number of years does not make you a good judge.

Having designed a top DCI or BOA show does not make you a good judge.

Having attended _________ university does not make you a good judge.

Standing in front of _________ college ensemble, _________ Mid-west feature group, ________ honor band does

not make you a good judge.

I think that much too often the above "qualifications" are stated to justify someone's authority, whether it is as a

corps administrator, or as judge. While these experiences may aid one's discerning ears, eyes, ability to recognize creativity, etc., these experiences do not guarantee that someone IS a good judge or an effective leader.

If such lists are truly resumes, I want to see how much someone has actually judged? where? how often? any judges training? by whom? state contests? BOA? DCI? etc.

No , this is not any assessment for or against Sly's abilities to judge.

Edited by westcoastblue

Yes. A very highly placed source told me that it is a nod to Lenin and Che Guevara.

And the Boston Red Sox.

Due to years of steroid use, even if permitted by Yankee's brass, I'm not so sure that the Yankee's Arod can grow a beard anymore . Then again, if any team wants to take Mike Napoli, you can have him, beard and all ( haha!)

Jwillis35... great review, Man. I may not always agree with your assessments, but they are reasonable, well thought out, each time, imo... Thanks for the live updates, and then the follow up review. We here on the east coast have not seen any of these Corps live, and in the stadium yet. ( just on computers, other devices, or the theatres... and thats not really the same as up close, live, and in the stadiums itself ) So this is greatly appreciated.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

Well, since I am already not going to win the most popular poster award anytime soon, I'll just throw this out there-

Having marched in a top corps for _____ number of years does not make you a good judge.

Having taught a top corps for _______ number of years does not make you a good judge.

Having designed a top DCI or BOA show does not make you a good judge.

Having attended _________ university does not make you a good judge.

Standing in front of _________ college ensemble, _________ Mid-west feature group, ________ honor band does

not make you a good judge.

I think that much too often the above "qualifications" are stated to justify someone's authority, whether it is as a

corps administrator, or as judge. While these experiences may aid one's discerning ears, eyes, ability to recognize creativity, etc., these experiences do not guarantee that someone IS a good judge or an effective leader.

If such lists are truly resumes, I want to see how much someone has actually judged? where? how often? any judges training? by whom? state contests? BOA? DCI? etc.

No , this is not any assessment for or against Sly's abilities to judge.

I said he knows his stuff, whether or not he's a good judge I don't know enough to say. Never said those things made him a good judge, just that he has a vast amount of experience in the caption he is judging, I think that counts for something.

• Like 1

I said he knows his stuff, whether or not he's a good judge I don't know enough to say. Never said those things made him a good judge, just that he has a vast amount of experience in the caption he is judging, I think that counts for something.

All we can ask is that the judge scores each Corps without bias and judges them all fairly (whatever that means). Everything these judges do is subjective. Some people will disagree with the judge and then label the judge a bad judge. Some people will agree with the judge and then label the judge a good judge. Our assessment therefore is biased with our own personal beliefs. I've been to over 150 drum corps events spanning 35 years. There were times I thought the score was rediculous and the judges must have been smoking crack - - - meaning they gave high scores to performaces I struggled to appreciate andgave low scores to performances that really entertained me. I have biases when watching some of my favorite Drum Corps. But, just because I've seen every show on the now defunct Fan Network at least 2 to 5 times and I've seen approximately 800 - 900 performances live, doesn't really mean that I could be a good judge either. Basically, I'm just a fan. There are things I see in performances that I love that didn't really score high with fans such as the Academy's Front Ensemble last year and Madison's Trompone Quartet. And, there were things that I hated of course. And, one of favorite all time Drum Corps color guard is killing me as of late. But, when I go to the regionals and finals this year I will watch every one of the performances from start to finish. And, I'll sit in the middle of Drum Corps Snobs I'm sure like the group of BD vets I sat with at San Antonio last year. It was refreshing however, when I sat with the Academy's kids watching Crossman last year and they were cheering their heads off for them.

• Like 4

I think one of the oddest things about the 12.4 Visual Analysis score Sybilski gave the Crossmen on 6/28 is that on 6/27 he gave Pioneer a 12.30.

I wasn't at a show. But, the only other time this season Crossmen got a 12.4 in VA was their very first competition. If you subscribe to the "maybe they had a bad run" hypothesis, I would have to say that would have had to be a really bad run for this time in the season.

Not sure I'd call singing in BAC "heavy emphasis"... she sings for about a minute and 30 seconds out of an 11 minute show....and beautifully, I might add.

How would you define what it is that you see and hear in BAC's show then? The signer is the central figure of the show. She sings a lot. Beautifully or otherwise. She signs solo, she sings while the brass is playing. All eyes and ears are on her at the pinnacle of the ballad.

Yes, BAC has a heavy emphasis on singing.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

I think one of the oddest things about the 12.4 Visual Analysis score Sybilski gave the Crossmen on 6/28 is that on 6/27 he gave Pioneer a 12.30.

I wasn't at a show. But, the only other time this season Crossmen got a 12.4 in VA was their very first competition. If you subscribe to the "maybe they had a bad run" hypothesis, I would have to say that would have had to be a really bad run for this time in the season.

Or maybe that's where they fell, unfortunately, due to the "ranking and rating" system of judging. It's not dependent upon what you do...it's more dependent of what the OTHER guy does (or the later guys COULD do.)