The Rise of Pseudointellectuals on DCP

I was thinking the same. Actually I was thinking 2 things. You are overthinking the issue and if you think you are not why don't you hire Johnny Staccato?

Johnny never could play staccato on a soprano.

• Like 1

Once you attend a few shows, you realize DCP is largely an echo chamber. It's a completely minor matter that most people will never hear about and forget about quickly when they do.

I'm not saying that to be dismissive of views expressed here, but it may help keep things in perspective. If I had to guess, I'd say a large number of the people who post here have been involved in the activity, in some shape or form, for a decade or more. Like dedicated fans of any activity, it's more interesting to discuss and debate the intricacies of the activity

Once you attend a few shows, you realize DCP is largely an echo chamber. It's a completely minor matter that most people will never hear about and forget about quickly when they do.

Its like if the phone don't ring, its probably the forgettables on the other line. When I get a dead phone line tone when I pick up the phone, I know its probably them forgetting about us again. I think about these forgettables a lot, as you can well imagine.

i read 4 lines and said "i'm at the beach, i'll look at something else"

• Like 2

There is a segment of drum corps alumni, and many of you will know (or are) that segment I'm talking about.

They make jack ##### out of themselves in college band.

They fail out of music ed because, "This is ridiculous stuff and they [professors] don't know what they are doing."

They get fired from marching band tech jobs for treating students like dirt.

They say, "well, at drum corps we did this..." incessantly.

Those people grow up and a lot of them jump into DCP. Because SO MUCH of their frail identity is based in their drum corps experiences, they think changing that activity in the slightest will make them more irrelevant. Or change the way that (they falsely perceive) people view them.

Those people freak out over the changes in the activity. They claim that because the activity is changing people are leaving. In reality, far more people are driven away from drum corps and drum corps shows by interactions with those type of people, than they are concert french horns.

Then, because people avoid those alumtards, the alumtards point and say, "SEE EVERYONE IS LEAVING THE ACTIVITY BECAUSE YOU RUINED IT!" Even though, they are largely to blame for the activity's demise, because they refuse to allow it to change, and act like jack ##### to everyone.

I sadly, sadly know this exact kind of person. Its kind if like people who never leave high school: they can't bear to leave the (supposed) glory days behind.

There once was a woman from Maine.

She played contra bass in the rain.

The whole notes were fun.

She nailed a long run.

But slipped on a wood bowling lane.

If this is going to be limerick night at the Roxy, then I'll play along.

There lived a girl from the Azores,

Whose.....

Wait a second. I can't tell that one, can I? Mea culpa....

i read 4 lines and said "i'm at the beach, i'll look at something else"

Einstein on the Beach. Definitely NO pseudointellectualism there.

There is a segment of drum corps alumni, and many of you will know (or are) that segment I'm talking about.

They make jack ##### out of themselves in college band.

They fail out of music ed because, "This is ridiculous stuff and they [professors] don't know what they are doing."

They get fired from marching band tech jobs for treating students like dirt.

Those people grow up and a lot of them jump into DCP. .

I'm not a private detective, can't say for sure, but you just might have described some of posters here on DCP... who knows.

Who cares ? Its an opinion board. Its a diverse board. As such, lots of opinions found here. Its like a supermarket store. You go up and down the aisles, bypass stuff you have no interest in, and go to the stuff you want/ need. But if you are a DCP'er that is cranky about the produce. you pick up the spinach bag you don't like, yap about that spinach not being want you like, nor want, then tell everybody in the store around you you don't like this spinach, wish it was not in the store, and yada, yada, yada.

Here's a tip ( for you and others ).... put the spinach bag down, walk quietly and silently to the aisle in this supermarket ( DCP ) that has what you are looking for, and leave the spinach bag alone. Somebody is coming down the aisle for that spinach bag soon enough, and they don't want you with your fingerprint paws all over a bag of spinach you are screaming that you don't want, nor need in the first place.

Besides, We've all been told that a little spinach, while not so tasty to the palate, is in the long run, good for most of us.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

... Besides, We've all been told that a little spinach, while not so tasty to the palate, is in the long run, good for most of us.

Thunderous goo cures heart disease.

• Like 1