GeorgiaDome - Grass or Turf this year?

Id also bet that there's something between the temp grass and turf to lessen the need to brush.

Isn't a professional venue like this used to short turnarounds from one surface to another?

Yes, and the Georgia Dome field crew are the best in the business. They're the MASTERS at short turnarounds.

• Like 1

Only reason I question whether or not they could do it was I was at an MLS game the other night (CenturyLink Field) that had to be played on the grass left from the international champions cup game (ManU vs Club America) because two days wasn't enough time to get the turf field properly prepped for play. Typically FIFA has a minimum 5-day "set period" for these international events so the grass is safe for play (minimal seams, not moving, etc.)

They will have to brush otherwise the FieldTurf will be laid over... And slick!

Only reason I question whether or not they could do it was I was at an MLS game the other night (CenturyLink Field) that had to be played on the grass left from the international champions cup game (ManU vs Club America) because two days wasn't enough time to get the turf field properly prepped for play. Typically FIFA has a minimum 5-day "set period" for these international events so the grass is safe for play (minimal seams, not moving, etc.)

They will have to brush otherwise the FieldTurf will be laid over... And slick!

I think we're talking different fields and different grounds crews. I'm sure the folks at the Dome have got things covered. (Did I just say that?)

They'll yank the grass up as soon as the second game is done tonight. They'll work til it's done, so I'd bet on it looking like the normal Georgia Dome by Friday.

Let's hope so. We don't need another "Hash Mark Gate"!

2012 was a terrible year to march in the Georgia Dome. Was it a monster truck rally that was before the show that caused the turf to be slick and compact (pressed down greatly)? We had like 6 guys fall and I almost fell doing a forward jazz run, plant, and then backwards jazz run. I really do hope they brush it, and well.

Well in 2 years they are blowing the place up so we won't have to deal with it. I'm very curious how the acoustics in the new stadium will sound.

Well in 2 years they are blowing the place up so we won't have to deal with it. I'm very curious how the acoustics in the new stadium will sound.

I doubt it was a consideration.

Id also bet that there's something between the temp grass and turf to lessen the need to brush.

If the turf field crowns for drainage, indeed there is something between the turf and grass......FILLER to flatten the pitch. They don't like to play soccer on artificial turf because the ball rolling along the sideline will drift out of bounds....... Soccer is meant to be played on a flat grass pitch...... except that the women were forced to play World Cup on artificial turf....... and they have the scrapes and cuts to show for it.