Fiscal Responsibility

That sounds terrific!

Frankly, I wonder whether or not it would be feasible for high schools to set up localized circuits. Maybe get 10+ high schools to create mini-drum corps as a subset of their marching program (perhaps with specific ceilings on tjhe numbers of brass/percussion/guard players, in order to keep some parity of competition across school districts that often vary greatly in size), then compete in 5 shows on consecutive Saturdays, rotating throughout the various schools. Finish by August 10, like DCI, and they won't interfere with their marching programs.

Edit: And put in rules to keep expenses and logistical headaches to a minimum, such as: no props, no pits, no electronics. If you can't march it in and out, you can't use it. Shorts and tshirts are permitted uniforms. No schools buses required - parents can drive their kids to each show. Etc., Etc.

I doubt having parents drive carpools to school-sponsored events would pass muster at a lot of school disricts, liability-wise. We don't even permit individual kids to go home with parents from a show unless we have written permission from the parent releasing the school from liability.

As for the basic concept...at least in my experience and area (close by you, if I recall), I doubt you'd find high school badn directors willing or desiring to create such a circuit...I know the mere thought makes me shudder, and I am only a part-time staff member of the HS band I teach, since 1994.

If such a thing were remotely possible, I would include all WW as well as brass, percussion and guard...actually, I'd have no instrument limitiations. Not sure why a HS music program would ever want to lock ot a portion of their band program.

Kind of going far afield now, I thess. Having been involved with marching, teaching and judging drum corps through the 70's,. I saw a LOT of corps fall by the way-side.

I doubt having parents drive carpools to school-sponsored events would pass muster at a lot of school disricts, liability-wise. We don't even permit individual kids to go home with parents from a show unless we have written permission from the parent releasing the school from liability.

As for the basic concept...at least in my experience and area (close by you, if I recall), I doubt you'd find high school badn directors willing or desiring to create such a circuit...I know the mere thought makes me shudder, and I am only a part-time staff member of the HS band I teach, since 1994.

If such a thing were remotely possible, I would include all WW as well as brass, percussion and guard...actually, I'd have no instrument limitiations. Not sure why a HS music program would ever want to lock ot a portion of their band program.

Kind of going far afield now, I thess. Having been involved with marching, teaching and judging drum corps through the 70's,. I saw a LOT of corps fall by the way-side.

Not a circuit or anything like that, just a Drum Line Battle show to be held after Championships, open to any drumline who wants to participate. More info will be coming soon.

Every fiscal yr my corp sends out a 3 yr financial disclosure broken down by donations, staff costs, food, housing, etc. It makes me happy to see them always operating in the black and often with an increase in funds year to year. I'm very pleased with how transparent they are.

Whenever I hear of corps folding it reminds me of when I was marching albeit 10yrs ago. I remember Capitol Regiment and their loan debt, Magic, Esperanza, Kiwanis, Southwind all folding while I marched. As many have stated here, these corps really need to live within their means and grow small and soundly, even then however, one can still fail no matter how fiscally responsible one is. IMO though one of the biggest wastes of money is owning one's own tour buses esp. if those things aren't being rented out in the off-season. Don't even get me started on this cavalcade of uniform changes year to year we see in DCI to only see some corps struggle financially that same yr or soon after.

Of all the corps who went under in the last 5 or so years, how many were mainly funded by Fees (Tour, Camp, Technique Books etc) and small donations.

I know how corps should not operate this way, but wondering if that was a common problem with these corps as well.

Of all the corps who went under in the last 5 or so years, how many were mainly funded by Fees (Tour, Camp, Technique Books etc) and small donations.

I know how corps should not operate this way, but wondering if that was a common problem with these corps as well.

I would venture to say all of them were supported by Fees. The math is simple and compelling: If you can charge $3000 per kid and you can attract 150 members, that's $450,000. It's pretty easy to convince one's self that you can sustain a tour with those kinds of dollars.

That is as, in Music City's case, until they realized that they were going up against million-dollar budgets and had to raise twice that amount to play in their sandbox.

I would venture to say all of them were supported by Fees. The math is simple and compelling: If you can charge $3000 per kid and you can attract 150 members, that's $450,000. It's pretty easy to convince one's self that you can sustain a tour with those kinds of dollars.

That is as, in Music City's case, until they realized that they were going up against million-dollar budgets and had to raise twice that amount to play in their sandbox.

A major issue with some corps is also kids who dont pay. everyone promises the world then no delivery. This issue has killed corps and other winter programs. Some kids hop from one to the other getting away with it for various reasons. Corps fault in the long run , yeah , although I get it when you want a body. Should corps rely on dues? never.

A major issue with some corps is also kids who dont pay. everyone promises the world then no delivery. This issue has killed corps and other winter programs. Some kids hop from one to the other getting away with it for various reasons. Corps fault in the long run , yeah , although I get it when you want a body. Should corps rely on dues? never.

With full acknowledgement that I've never run a corps, your description seems to be a simple matter of discipline. No matter how much you want a player and think he/she can get the corps to a competitive level, you simply don't allow him/her on the bus until the dues are paid.

The only time that rule can be bent or broken is when the corps has the depth of their own balance sheet to be able to make up the deficit for one, or a few, who don't pay.

It's a cold and seeming heartless leader who stands in the face of a strong-willed staff member and pouty-lipped recruit and simply, but forcefully, says "No".

Again, I've never run a corps.

• Like 1

With full acknowledgement that I've never run a corps, your description seems to be a simple matter of discipline. No matter how much you want a player and think he/she can get the corps to a competitive level, you simply don't allow him/her on the bus until the dues are paid.

The only time that rule can be bent or broken is when the corps has the depth of their own balance sheet to be able to make up the deficit for one, or a few, who don't pay.

It's a cold and seeming heartless leader who stands in the face of a strong-willed staff member and pouty-lipped recruit and simply, but forcefully, says "No".

Again, I've never run a corps.

You are 100% right. Although the opposite has happened for many. BUT you are right

So, my son has marched in two different open class corps in Southern California in the last four years, and they both do the tour that they can afford. I wish he would have had the experience of a national tour that his mom and dad did, but I respect these organizations for making the business decisions they need to to survive.

All three years in Impulse, their season ended mid-July as they did shows in Northern and Southern California only. His third year, they added shows in Ogden and Boise. This year, in Gold, they did Southern California shows only and they get on busses on Monday to begin the drive to their next show in Iowa. They are doing the tour that they can afford.

It is frustrating to see these corps folding mid season, while they are on the road, because someone should have know better - long before they were on the road - if they could afford what they were doing.

IMO, you need an revenue stream of some kind, beyond tour fees, to fund any non profit. Bingo, corps & band shows, band camps - come up with something that brings in money. Open a thrift store. Sell stuff at swap meets. Have a special event like a 5k run, golf tournament or carnival; or all three. Provide volunteers for snack bars at sporting events, or provide volunteers at somebody else's bingo - but find a revenue stream beyond member fees.

• Like 2

So, my son has marched in two different open class corps in Southern California in the last four years, and they both do the tour that they can afford. I wish he would have had the experience of a national tour that his mom and dad did, but I respect these organizations for making the business decisions they need to to survive.

All three years in Impulse, their season ended mid-July as they did shows in Northern and Southern California only. His third year, they added shows in Ogden and Boise. This year, in Gold, they did Southern California shows only and they get on busses on Monday to begin the drive to their next show in Iowa. They are doing the tour that they can afford.

It is frustrating to see these corps folding mid season, while they are on the road, because someone should have know better - long before they were on the road - if they could afford what they were doing.

IMO, you need an revenue stream of some kind, beyond tour fees, to fund any non profit. Bingo, corps & band shows, band camps - come up with something that brings in money. Open a thrift store. Sell stuff at swap meets. Have a special event like a 5k run, golf tournament or carnival; or all three. Provide volunteers for snack bars at sporting events, or provide volunteers at somebody else's bingo - but find a revenue stream beyond member fees.

I agree. No use pushing a corps past its limits financially for one year instead of sustained growth. It's a marathon, not a sprint, certainly when one wants sustained success.

I wish I had the full tour experience as well. Aside from college and corp conflicts that forced me to join my corp in mid-May, I was fortunate to march three years in Div. I. While I always wished we did a "true" full-tour, I am quite proud of the direction they have gone and become as successful as they are and not just competitively as they have nearly doubled the shows we did in 2007. I would be more disappointed with a corp that folded by overextending itself than one that went all-in for a couple years of glory. There is something to be said for sustained success. Reminds me of when we finally bought our food truck, an old MRI trailer and spent two yrs customizing it.

Like you mentioned, there has to be a multitude of fundraising avenues, as fees are not enough...plus those fluctuate from year to year anyway. While my corp does not participate in bingo, which many places are cutting back on now anyway, the corp has the sneakpreview show it hosts with its fellow local corps as you know with sponsors (I think one yr Snapple provided drinks), two very successful DCI shows, a 5K charity run, golf tournament, camps, and obvious fundraising drives. Outside of competing, running a corp is more than a summer activity, it's a year long endeavor to fund a corp.